Rifle Season

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm out th door in 15 minutes. I don't have my .243 sighted in yet (It's still at Hero Gear getting the dodgy, unsafe, set-trigger fixed) & I only got my Bubba'd .303 back late last night from it's barrel circumcision (from 25-¼" down to 20") so that's no use to me either.

Luckily, Ol' Painless (the .54 stink-stick) is more than up to the job. Hell, I can't see much past 100yds anyway!

Good luck y'all!

Take no prisoners, everyone comes back in a bag!

I missed a shot at a fair 6-8 point buck this morning. I felt good about the shot, and have no excuse for missing. I guess it just happens. We also saw a lot of does, but couldn't get a shot without shooting blindly over a hilltop if we missed. It was a nice morning to be out.

I saw about 20 turkeys and one doe walked within about 10 yards of me and never even noticed me and I was on the ground. I saw the doe at 10:15 and I saw 2 other deer at about 7:00 but couldn't tell what they was. I didn't hear many shots this morning and I was out till almost 11:00.

I missed a big buck at Ft Campbell this morning. I was bow hunting and bounced the arrow off a limb I didn't see. The big ol' buck didn't spook, just jumped a little and slowly walked off laughing at me. The weather and moon phase are tough for opening weekend of rifle. Good luck to all you rifle guys.

ZERO for Rightwinger. I only had the day and a half to hunt this year so the game plan was to look for big boy Sat morning, switch over to doe or buck Sat afternoon and Sun morning. Well, yesterday, could have knocked down a nice mature doe and then either got busted or heard my 4 wheeler getting blown at for 5 minutes by an unseen deer. After that the winds were high both Sat evening and this morning, the full moon was letting them eat all night and the only other thing I saw was a big raccoon that had me straining my eyes for 30 minutes at dark last night. Still, all in all, I never got cold, had good fellowship with my brother in hunt camp/cabin and decompressed in the woods. I still win!

Maybe next year. Ya'll go get em next weekend. Sounds like the weather will finally get good for hunting with some cold moving in.

I'm trying to get my first deer period so this weekend if I see one that's legal it's getting bagged. I'm ready for some deer meet.

I don't blame you If I don't see any of my good bucks then I will start taking the better of the smaller deer, but I will wait until the season is almost over before I do that.

He is huge...I'm about plum tickled right now, because I have seen this deer several times, and he always seemed to out smart me every time. He put the slip on me again yesterday morning. He was the second big buck I seen yesterday. Today, I hung 3 scent bombs across the ridge top I was hunting, and he came in to a "doe in heat" bleat call. He stepped out of a thicket about 30 yards away, stuck his nose up in the air to sniff it (scent bombs ?)...then his lights went out. He lunged forward about 10 yards and piled up. 308 with 150 grain reloads did the job!