Rifle Season

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will at least get my attempt in next weekend. Pulling out the trusty old Savage 110 30-06 since Rock River has not decided to grace me with my 458 upper. That's okay, I'm very comfortable with the tried and true Savage. Just want to put a few round through her Friday to ensure the zero is still set at 100.

Good luck everyone, hope there's lots of pics of great deer next Monday!

I'm ready. Just having trouble choosing which rifle since I've bought two new ones. Savage 10 .308 new

Savage 10 7MM Mastered this one

DPMS .223 new

decisions, decisions

101, what weight .243 bullet do you use on deer?

I have my daughter's sighted in with 100gr Remington Core-Lok. It's killed 4 deer. All 4 were heart shots. 2 fell dead, 2 ran less than 60 yards. The bullets have stayed together. I recovered 2 in the off side hide, but both were through the off side shoulder. The two others went through.

I would like to try the 100gr Federal Fusions. Her gun didn't like the Winchester's as well as the Remingtons.

I have 80 grain. Is that too light?

Bullet construction is of more importance than weight. Historically, heavy for caliber bullets had heavier jackets and expanded more slowly than the lighter for caliber bullets. The light ones were designed to expand very rapidly for small game and pests. The heavier ones were for larger game. Some modern premium bullets have bucked this trend and give the option of a lighter bullet built to stay together and have controlled expansion for large game. If I were using an 80 grain 243 bullet for deer, I would either want a premium controlled expansion bullet, or I would be selective in my shots to avoid hitting bone, shoulders, and such.

I have 80 grain. Is that too light?

I wrote a former professor (and serious hunter / ballistician) about .243 awhile back, since it's the hunting round most similar in performance to Rem 6.8 SPC II (smaller, but faster), and I was thinking about an AR build at the time. Here's what he had to say about .243:

Patrick,

What a pleasant surprise to hear from you. As to 243, I've killed over 190 whitetail and mule deer and antelope with mine, and lost only 2. I highly recommend it be used only with 100 grain spire point boat tail bullets, if you reload, or if you can find them prepackaged. Any 100 grain non-hollow point will kill cleanly and quickly if placed in the chest
cavity. I've used mine out to 575 yards with known hand loads. They still kill, but I only do that if it is a last day, last chance to fill the license issue. On large deer they may not exit, so there is little blood to follow but again they rarely go more than 50-125 yards at worst. In moderately open country I usually watch them fall. I've seen the same loads kill elk, though I think a bit light for that.

Hope that helps - also, as far as bullet weight, take into account that he's shooting prey in WI / MN prairie at distances a TN hunter will never encounter, so an 80 grain load shouldn't be ruled out, if you're dropping deer quickly and humanely. Don't know if that helps or not, but my having that particular e-mail combined with this thread existing dictated that I had to post it.

Good luck to all you hunters,

Patrick

i'm headed off to the garage to load up some more 168gr berger bullets for my 30-06, my new 405 winchester is dead on at 100 yards with 300gr hornady spire points(ya gotta love the winchester 1895!) my biggest decision is which rifle to take with me, i love having a scoped rifle, but i look forward to killing something with my new 405! we will see