92fs or P226

Guest HogMan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

While the 92fs is a good gun, I consider the P226 a great gun. I've owned a P226 going on 18 yrs and 20k rounds with never a failure that wasn't ammo related.

The Sig is simply stronger. This is not some 'out of my arse' statement. It has been proven time and again. The Navy SEALs were already carrying the P226 when the U.S. Military establishment decided to adopt the 92. SEALs were given some to evaluate side-by-side with their P226s. Catastrophic slide failures of the 92s resulted when shooting Sten gun ammo... this did not occur with the Sig.

Still, a 92fs is on my wish list. Like I said, they are a good gun.

Guest newsphotog

The 226 is my favorite handgun. It just shoots so smoothe and is very accurate.

I have an MTAC and Wilderness belt for mine and it carries okay. It does get a little heavy as the day wears on (makes me love my Kahr even more); but if yours is not going to be a carry gun no worries there.

Unfortunately I can't speak of the 92fs. I never even held one.

You just can't go wrong with the SIG.

The Beretta handles recoil better... but the Sig is more accurate, has a better stock trigger, and better controls placement.

The Sig will be more expensive, unless we're talking about pre-owned, trade-in or CPO guns. Used vs. used, I think they are essentially equal. The real variable is what you prefer. New vs. new... the Sig is just more gun (more options, trigger configurations, and sub-models)... but all of the Berettas are pretty much the same.

Guest gcrookston

I've found the several 92fs I've shot to be on par with the Sig when it comes to accuracy. Being more familiar with the Sig, I've found them very easy to work on (not that I've ever done anything further than replace all the springs, swap the mag release from right to left and did a trigger job). I've never had a 92 apart, so can't comment.

Hogman they are both fine guns and you would be in great shape with either one. I have an FS and a 92G Elite. The Elite being my comp gun, with almost 10K rounds through it with zero failures. I have shot a 226 and it is sweet too.

We both live in the same area if you want to check out mine and the mods I have done with them.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Not sure if this has already been mentioned....but which ones points more naturally and feels better in your hand? That is the one I would go for.

That being said, despite shooting a few really nice examples, I just havent found a SIG that I shoot well and that feels comfortable in my hand. A 92FS was my first gun and after 6k+ rounds I havent had a SINGLE problem. It eats up junk ammo without hesitation, is incredibly simple to work on, and everyone who has shoot it has loved it. Lightening the trigger pull is a matter of replacing a $4 spring and after that the trigger is amazing. I just detailed stripped it last weekend and there were virtually no signs of wear, and to be honest, if I can take one completely apart....anyone can.

So, in conclusion, my vote goes to the Beretta. :D

Guest price g

If for some reason anyone feels that a M-9 is any less a firearm than a Sig, You are cordially invited to any of our IDPA matches for educational purposes.PG

Well just found out my gun dealer don't carry the Sig's anymore for what ever reason, but has the 92fs for $519. 2 15 round mags. I do know the 92 fits my hand like A glove.

Guest gcrookston
If for some reason anyone feels that a M-9 is any less a firearm than a Sig, You are cordially invited to any of our IDPA matches for educational purposes.PG

I've got half a can of st+aux. I'll bet you your M9 against my 226, only one of us won't have a broken or cracked slide at the end of 100 rounds....

but I will concede accuracy and reliability otherwise is excellent for both pistols.

Guest price g
I've got half a can of st+aux. I'll bet you your M9 against my 226, only one of us won't have a broken or cracked slide at the end of 100 rounds....

but I will concede accuracy and reliability otherwise is excellent for both pistols.

I could just beat it with a hammer and save the ammo:)

Guest gcrookston
I could just beat it with a hammer and save the ammo:)

The last time I saw this stuff come up for sale was about 1989-90 when I was in Seattle and back then it was $50.00 for 100 rounds. It's black lacquered bullets with varnished steel cases.

I broke a friend's MP-5 (bolt face sheered off), with this ammo and have sold off boxes of it on GB for $25.00 per 16 round boxes. Who'd want to shoot it is beyond me. Unless you have a sten or MP40, it's very questionable and perhaps dangerous.

I got a full can (720 rounds), in trade back in about 1985-86

Guest finslayer3

The SIG is a great gun. I have always enjoyed a 226, accuracy is great and it is durable and will run non stop. My only complaint is the double stack mag. created a wider grip than that of my 225, or 220. So I only stick with single stack SIG's. I'd personally go with a SIG over a beretta any day of the week, BUT it is all up to personal preference, and what feels the best.

Guest price g

Let me clarify my position on this subject. I own both the Beretta and the Sig. I like guns, period. I do not think the Sig is a better firearm than the Beretta, nor do I think the Beretta is superior to the Sig. Handguns are tools, you pick the best tool for the job and carry out your work. The more skilled you become at your work, you find that you need better tools to achieve a more precise result. I will never be content with just "one". Choose what works for you, period.

Let me clarify my position on this subject. I own both the Beretta and the Sig. I like guns, period. I do not think the Sig is a better firearm than the Beretta, nor do I think the Beretta is superior to the Sig...

Hear, Hear! I fully agree. I own Sig's, Beretta's and many other wonderful firearms. Each one has its own unique appeal, and I love them all. Choose ones you enjoy shooting and carrying, and appreciate each one for its individual qualities, while overlooking the flaws.

As far as accuracy goes, I've found that most modern handguns are adequately accurate for most shooters in most situations (hows that for political correctness?). If you are wanting a competition match grade handgun, you are probably looking at a different class of weapon anyway. The models discussed are all extremely good defensive handguns. Happy, Safe Shooting!

The Beretta handles recoil better... but the Sig is more accurate,

Says who? The 92 is renowned for its accuracy.

That was simply my experience... I owned a 92F for several years, and fired over 10K rd through it. I was very comfortable with it, and took my HCP class with it as well. I know that the Beretta is a very accurate pistol, but the couple of times I got to fire someone else's P226/P228 side-by-side with my own Beretta... the groups were smaller with the Sig. And I have heard similar testimony from several other people, too.

I suppose I should clarify that what I meant by accuracy, wasn't as much of a reference to major differences in mechanical precision, as it was to the whole package having more or less natural shootability in the hands of the average human... The Sigs were better, for me. Not so much that I cursed my Beretta or anything. But it was noticeable. I have no doubt that if you clamped a 92FS and P226 in a bench vise, they would produce similar mechanical precision.

A heavier gun will handle recoil better. More Accurate? Molon, I think you naturally pointed the Sig better. That is fabulous.

My personal opinion is go out to a range that rents and handle ALL of the guns in your price range. Realize that these are going to be a little "sloppy" since they are range guns and may or may not be maintained as well as some ones personal firearm.

For me the Sig is the superior firearm. It fits me better. I have a 228 and a Pietro Beretta 92. The Sig always out shoots the Beretta. Why? Probably because it fits me better. No matter how great the rep of any particular firearm is, if it doesn't fit you, it's not worth crap to you, unless of course it's a collectors piece and you just want one.

I also find the Sig 226 and 228 to be easier to carry concealed, if that is something you are interested in, maybe not. But again, it's easier for me to conceal. However, I will also say my Glock 27 or H&K .380 is even easier than that to conceal, so there you go.

IMO the advice which has said go to a gun shop that rents or try a friend's is best. Try them on for size. See how they feel in the hand and how comfortable they are to shoot. Grab a holster and try that as well if you are thinking of carry.