Carrying while bicycling?

Good morning from icy Memphis, aka Mogadishu on the Mississippi. It was a good night last night-- no one invaded my home, sirens did not wake me up (but my cat did) and none of my Glocks spontaneously shot me while I slept. A good night, indeed.

Do any of ya'll have workable ways of carrying a handgun while riding a bicycle?

On another thread there was a mention of 2 bicyclists who were robbed and assaulted in Bartlett at Stanky Creek/Nesbit Park last Monday. 8 or 10 people were charged in the crimes. New information I have makes it sound like this was more of a revenge crime-- evidently a couple of the assailants had words with the cyclists/victims earlier in the day and returned with a gang of friends to even the score.

In addition to these two bicyclists, I am aware of two other riders (friends of mine) locally who were robbed while they were riding their bikes. One was robbed at gunpoint, one at knifepoint. Both were robbed by pedestrians- crimes of opportunity.

I ride a road bike/racing bike-- that means I wear the tight shorts and jerseys (shirts), and I sweat like crazy in the summer. I ride for a few hours at a time in the summer. I usually ride with others. So weight, concealability, and moisture are big issues for anyone carrying who rides like I do.

I have thought about using one of those little fannypack holsters. I have heard of one fellow locally who just drops a little revolver into the pocket on the back of his bike jersey.

Ideas? Solutions? What does sweat do to ammo and to revolvers? Or little Glocks?

I'm not going to quit riding until I'm dead (which could be at any minute- I do have Glocks and killer cats in the house, after all).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mc30707

Wear regular shorts and a t shirt. They might not want to rob you then. You might get a little printing with the bike shorts and shirt, besides they look kind of gay on a man anyway. :D

Seriuosly though you could try one of the camera bag holsters that are out now.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=324&CatalogID=11

http://www.shootingsystems.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SS&Product_Code=BPH&Category_Code=15

or a handlebar bag

http://www.rei.com/product/737832

This is one of the rare occasions where open care might just be the best.

Change your colors to resemmble a Bicycle Cop. (Black shorts, a slightly

baggy shirt, black helmet, etc.) They might just think your a cop and leave you alone.

LOL!!!

In honesty... I don't know what to tell you. That is a rather hard call to make.

Guest flyfishtn

That wilderness pack may be the trick. But I think I will just get a small Kel-Tec when warm weather riding starts back up and carry in one of the back pockets of my jersey.

I'll throw one out there. I use a Versi-pak "Fatboy" which has a quick access zipper compartment for the weapon and multiple storage areas for other items. This is as close to a purse as I want to get, but any ribbing from my friends is cast aside when I pull the Kimber, Glock or XD40 from it along with a small Nightfighter II light, my wallet, two check books, a MP3 player, a compass, two sets of keys and 4 magazines!! Yep, I carry a purse, fag bag, etc. But when you want to carry it all concealed and easily, this is a great way to go! (If any of you have a fairly thick wallet and go for a while NOT sitting on that thing, you'll see the benefit immediately.) Jgrauman saw mine so he can attest to its quality (or not:)) They also come in larger and smaller models.

0403k_1784_general.jpghttps://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=31

Having ridden "good" bikes up until the past few years (but not with clothing that shows all my "bulges" :) ) I'd have to go with a small bag mounted on the bike in a convenient place to hold a billfold, dog spray and a BUG. If secured with Velcro, it could be taken in when needed

Guest ETS_Inc
Having ridden "good" bikes up until the past few years (but not with clothing that shows all my "bulges" :mad: ) I'd have to go with a small bag mounted on the bike in a convenient place to hold a billfold, dog spray and a BUG. If secured with Velcro, it could be taken in when needed

I agree with Marswolf, this is probably one of the few times off-body carry would be a viable option.

(Oh, and Rightwinger, don't fret, big-boy, I haf a Maxpedition Thermite, too. :))

Guest canynracer

but I would definatley get something like these frame packs...http://www.jandd.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=3&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=2&subcat=5

makes you more comfortable, without affecting performance of the cycle.... reach down, and the gun is in your hand...

SlingNPac.jpg

Here is another option

FramePac.jpg

I think my preferred option would be to still carry the firearm on my person or in some of the external holsters/packs shown in this thread verses carry the gun to a holster/pack attached to the bike.

If you are held-up at gun point, you can get off the bike and say to the assailant, here take the bike (roll/throw the bike towards the assailant). This will cause the assailant to stop pointing their gun at you while you deploy your firearm to begin shooting.

Also this provides you with mobility with your firearm to safe cover from assailant or get away.

I'll throw one out there. I use a Versi-pak "Fatboy" which has a quick access zipper compartment for the weapon and multiple storage areas for other items. This is as close to a purse as I want to get, but any ribbing from my friends is cast aside when I pull the Kimber, Glock or XD40 from it along with a small Nightfighter II light, my wallet, two check books, a MP3 player, a compass, two sets of keys and 4 magazines!! Yep, I carry a purse, fag bag, etc. But when you want to carry it all concealed and easily, this is a great way to go! (If any of you have a fairly thick wallet and go for a while NOT sitting on that thing, you'll see the benefit immediately.) Jgrauman saw mine so he can attest to its quality (or not:)) They also come in larger and smaller models.

0403k_1784_general.jpghttps://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=31

I agree with Marswolf, this is probably one of the few times off-body carry would be a viable option.

(Oh, and Rightwinger, don't fret, big-boy, I haf a Maxpedition Thermite, too. :koolaid:)

Excellent product. I was going to suggest one of those.

I am getting back into mountain biking, this is what I am going to use. I have the Condor II backpack. It has a chest strap and a waist strap, you can tighten it up so it won't move. It has the CC area that you can put your handgun in, they have a $10 holster (Velcro straps that hold your gun very securely), that same area can be used for a 100oz water reservoir. Not the best for road bikes, not very aerodynamic, but a great mountain bike/daypack.

0512k_2096_general.jpg

Mogadishu on the Mississippi

:koolaid::):stare:

Now that's some seriously funny stuff--I've never heard that one.

Not trying to be smart, but I agree with some of the others--why not ditch the Lance Armstrong wardrobe? I think IWB is the best location for the gun (while running/riding), and an untucked shirt over BDU-style shorts can make this work. Up until three or four months ago (before plantar fasciitis and another sprained ankle), I was running regularly with a Kel-Tec .380 inside some BDU shorts or pants, concealed by an untucked shirt. When/if I get healthy again, I plan on trying it with a Glock 27. I know you bikers are serious about the clothing, but does it really make a difference? In other words, are the team shirts and tight shorts all for looks or do they really serve a purpose? If not, I think your problem is easily solved by changing clothes. If you regularly ride with a group, I'm sure they'll inquire about your sudden wardrobe change, but what's more important to you?

Mogadishu on the Mississippi

:rolleyes::DB)

Now that's some seriously funny stuff--I've never heard that one.

Not trying to be smart, but I agree with some of the others--why not ditch the Lance Armstrong wardrobe? I think IWB is the best location for the gun (while running/riding), and an untucked shirt over BDU-style shorts can make this work. Up until three or four months ago (before plantar fasciitis and another sprained ankle), I was running regularly with a Kel-Tec .380 inside some BDU shorts or pants, concealed by an untucked shirt. When/if I get healthy again, I plan on trying it with a Glock 27. I know you bikers are serious about the clothing, but does it really make a difference? In other words, are the team shirts and tight shorts all for looks or do they really serve a purpose? If not, I think your problem is easily solved by changing clothes. If you regularly ride with a group, I'm sure they'll inquire about your sudden wardrobe change, but what's more important to you?

I was told by a road rider and mountain biker, that the shorts are worth it. I asked about how uncomfortable it is to ride since I have gotten older. The padding in the shorts are there and designed for to relieve butt and family jewel discomfort. They said it makes all the difference in the world. I still think I will wear my cargo's over them though!

i mountain bike a lot... i carry while riding the exact same way i do while i'm doing anything else.. IWB. the only difference is i have on bike shorts underneath my cargo shorts that i wear while riding. even if i have a pack on i still carry IWB, it's much easier to get to than unzipping a pack.

Guest flyfishtn

db99wj is correct, the shorts are worth it. I am not trying to imitate anybody by wearing cycling gear, just like a holster or leather for a motorcycle, it is worn for a reason. The shorts have pads to protect the jewels and make life comfortable and the material is designed to wick moisture away from your skin making it comfortable to ride all day.

I do most of cycling now on the road, so I want to be as aerodynamic as possible so I will carry on me when I have my HCP.

db99wj, just a suggestion, but there are some nice backpacks from Camelback and others that are more suited to cycling. PM me if you want some info, I have been mountain and road cycling for over 20 years and can help.

i say wear a shoulder rig. that should get the point across. this will start the open vs concealed, but when riding a bike, your options for carrying decrease alot. what if the perp wants the bike and you have the gun in one of those bags on the bike and you get blind sided and pushed off the bike? gun and bike gone.

with the TN HCP, i say carry it in a shoulder rig. but then again, i dont care who sees mine when i carry. that is one of the reasons why i went to the trouble to get my permit.

Guest flyfishtn

They do make some mountain bike shorts that are "baggy" with the standard style shorts already built into them for the comfort aspect. I wore these until I discovered the comfort aspect of bib shorts.

i would say an ankle holster tucked into your sock,but not hung on the inside of your leg,but on the outside as to not get tangled up or hit your bike when peddling.

or you could just tuck it in the girl shorts on the inside of your thigh,you would get some phone numbers that way :D....although they may be from guys since you are wearing girl shirts

db99wj is correct, the shorts are worth it. I am not trying to imitate anybody by wearing cycling gear, just like a holster or leather for a motorcycle, it is worn for a reason. The shorts have pads to protect the jewels and make life comfortable and the material is designed to wick moisture away from your skin making it comfortable to ride all day.

I do most of cycling now on the road, so I want to be as aerodynamic as possible so I will carry on me when I have my HCP.

db99wj, just a suggestion, but there are some nice backpacks from Camelback and others that are more suited to cycling. PM me if you want some info, I have been mountain and road cycling for over 20 years and can help.

I saw some of those camelbacks the other day at a local shop, very nice. I am easing back into it. After I buy the shorts, I got to figure out my pedal/shoe combination. I grew up riding and racing BMX, and strapping my feet down makes me nervous, but I also see the benefit on hills.

I have been riding for years and I even own a bike shop in Spring Hill. The Jandd frame bag is the best option. As far as loose shorts on a road bike not a good idea. On a road bike you are spending a hour are more on the bike and with your legs moving all the time something loose no matter how soft will rub you raw mainly on the top of your thighs. That is the reason we spend up to $100 are more for a good pair of shorts.