Car carry?

Guest carbonarcher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:screwy:What do you all carry in your car or truck, and where? Outside of what you already have on you?

Couple boxes of extra ammo.

That's it.

I don't have anything cheap enough to risk getting stolen, even my $200 HP carbine would hurt, 'cause can't just trot down to a local gunstore and replace it.

If society starts looking more unstable, I might revise my tactics.

- OS

I keep a .38 spl in my car. usually because I dont carry to work. Or, if I have something on where CC isnt possible, or I forget to grab a pistol on the way out, or if a zombie attacks and gets the one i have on me first, etc. :)

I guess in a nutshell, one in my car as a backup, same as a PO carries a backup on his/her ankle.

Guest tnxdshooter
:screwy:What do you all carry in your car or truck, and where? Outside of what you already have on you?

Nothing,

I carry the same pistol I have on me which can be either a Springfield XD 40 or Taurus PT1911 at any given time.

I generally have a shotgun or rifle too, but not so much as a carry for protection weapon. Usually I just have something to shoot coyotes or ground hogs along the way. I have been batting around the idea of having a dedicated protection rifle in my truck, but it seems like if I am in my truck and a gun fight breaks out, I am just gonna put her in D and get the hell out of Dodge.

Just a sub 2000 in 40 with 6 15 round mags. :D Going to have a 38 with shot shells in it just as soon as I find some shot shells to buy. Ran into a snake at a customers house the other day, when I told the homeowner he asked if I shot it. Told him nope, didn't have anything to shoot it with that would not leave very big holes in his garage. Talk about the deer in the headlights look LOL.

Having a firearm in my vehicle would be a violation of my employers rules and, as I work for a private college, probably the law, also. It would be too much of a PITA to be constantly putting something in and taking it out (plus when I go somewhere other than work we are usually in my wife's vehicle.) If that were not the case, though, I've thought that I'd kind of like to keep a break action, single shot shotgun in there. I wouldn't care if the stock was banged up, etc. as long as it was solid so I'd buy a used beater for around $100, throw on a buttcuff shell holder and a box of (mixed) shells with a few buckshot, a few slugs and the rest #4 or #6 field loads and feel okay. I'd probably go with a 12 or 20 gauge but would even be alright with a .410. That should be enough to get me through a very unlikely SHTF situation - help me survive in place, get home or whatever. I like a single because they are so simple and low maintenance that one should go 'bang' even if you forget about it for a year or so behind the seat.

As Clint Smith shows in this video, a single barrel can be run pretty quickly and smoothly with practice. I've tried it with a couple of mine and, once I found the right rhythm, could honestly get a rate of fire comparable with what I can do with a pump action. Not ideal but certainly workable enough to make trouble head in another direction. One difference I found in practice is that, unlike the single barrel Smith uses in the video, my single barrels will not go into battery with the hammer back. I have to close the action then thumb the hammer back.

Another idea I have had would be for one of those Rossi matched pairs that has a .44 Mag barrel and a .20 gauge barrel - or even one of the 12 gauge/.22WMR or 20 gauge/.22LR models.

Heck, one of the .410/22LR models wouldn't even be bad. You sure could carry a lot of ammo in less space with .410/.22LR if that became a factor. Probably have the .410 barrel on it most of the time with rifled slugs in the buttcuff.

Oh, and I am also a flashlight freak. In addition to the mini-mag (converted to LED, also with the tail switch conversion) that I carry most of the time, I also have a small, crank operated flashlight (2 LED bulbs - gives more light than you'd think) on my keychain along with a (factory) LED mini-mag and a hand-crank flashlight in my truck.

Edited by JAB
Having a firearm in my vehicle would be a violation of my employers rules and, as I work for a private college, probably the law, also. .....

As far as TN law, non-student adults may keep handguns in cars on school property.

Doesn't help you with employer's rules, though.

- OS

As far as TN law, non-student adults may keep handguns in cars on school property.

Doesn't help you with employer's rules, though.

- OS

Not to start a long sidebar, let's just say that I tend to err on the side of caution and assume that 'operated by' means 'behind the wheel with the vehicle's engine running'. FWIW, that is the interpretation my HCP instructor had, as well (not that HCP instructor opinions are the be and and end all but his wife is a public school teacher who has her HCP and was of the same opinion.)

I could, of course, be very wrong. In fact, I would very much like to be wrong on this but don't want to be a test case. I wish we had a more clear cut law or at least an opinion from the state A.G. If your interpretation is correct, though, I guess it still wouldn't make it legal to have the single-barrel shotgun I mentioned in the vehicle.

You are right, though - either way doesn't help with employers' rules.

Edited by JAB

I don't keep a gun in my car. Car break ins are awful in Memphis city limits and I sometimes go there for work purposes. I keep my handgun on me. If something is stolen out of your car in Memphis you will never get it back. The thug will walk down the street with it in his hand and no one will care. When you see a crackhead walking down Union openly in broad daylight with a brick in his hand (what jobsite was he on? yeah bro was probably looking for glass to break), you know something is wrong with that ZOO!

Not to start a long sidebar, let's just say that I tend to err on the side of caution and assume that 'operated by' means 'behind the wheel with the vehicle's engine running....

All you have to do is read the statutes. You just paraphrased one part of 39-17-1310 Affirmative defense to carrying weapons on school property. (and "engine running" isn't in there):

"(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle."

The pertinent part I mentioned for your situation is in 39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property:

"© (1) ...It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

Since this is under the "not going armed" paragraph we can assume that it means unloaded (some debate about that part, though), and also has nothing to do with having a permit or not.

Of course, if your employer has a formal policy against guns in cars, as we both agree, he can legally fire you, and TCA is no defense of THAT. However, you can legally come back onto the property with a gun in car to apply for another job. :usa:

- OS

Guest tnxdshooter

If I ever find me another job I am seriously thinking about getting me a stainless taurus public defender for a wheel gun. I hate the 90 pound trigger pull on em though I would have to have an action job done on it to smooth it out as the ones I have shot have been a little grainy. The heavy trigger I can take but if it feels like it is being drug through 5 feet of sand to get there I need it smoothed out a bit.

Edited by tnxdshooter

[/b]"© (1) ...It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

Notice the part I put in bold. It says, "Operated by the adult." Once, again, I take that to mean the adult in question is sitting behind the wheel or is at least in contact with the car. Edited by JAB
Notice the part I put in bold. It says, "Operated by the adult." Once, again, I take that to mean the adult in question is sitting behind the wheel or is at least in contact with the car.

It has been pretty thoroughly vetted to mean, that the non-student adult was in operation and will again be in operation of the vehicle, not that the vehicle itself was in constant operation. Operation as "control", just as "possession" of firearm can mean both "under control" and "on one's person".

Just as 39-17-1310 does not forbid the driver from shutting off the engine, and leaving the vehicle (with gun left in vehicle) while in the process of picking up a passenger. For example, one might need to enter the school to sign out the kid, or whatever, in the process of picking up the kid.

All pretty moot for students, faculty, and staff though, since most all schools make it a cause for termination, or expulsion. Which is why the legislature needs to act on the "parking lot" bill, which would cover everyone but those on federal property.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
...the legislature needs to act on the "parking lot" bill, which would cover everyone but those on federal property.

- OS

We are certainly in agreement on that! I am glad that we can now carry where alcohol is served being that it seems nearly every mom and pop restaurant in the area has beer as a beverage option on their menus. I am also glad that we can now carry in state and national parks. Truth be told, though, I go to and from work more often than I go out to eat where alcohol is served and a lot more often than I go to state or national parks. Having to be unarmed for the 'journey' five days a week - including if I have to stop somewhere on the way home (most places I would stop are much closer to work than home) - just because of a stupid employer rule is a situation I would like to see changed.

Edited by JAB