9 or 40?

Guest mds3d

Caliber debate aside...

I am looking into getting a Walther PPS. Now, I have a decision between 9mm or 40cal.

Does anyone have any good advice about which to choose?

My considerations are...

Ammuntion cost (if ammo is too expensive, I won't practice with it)

Magazine size (9mm comes in 6,7,8 count mags, 40cal mags are all 1 less)

Is any extra stopping power worth the other sacrifices?

Anything else I haven't thought of...

Thanks for the advice.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carbonarcher

I just got my PPS about a month ago. I have mine in 9mm. Talked to alot of people who have the .40 and some of them wished that they got the 9mm instead. I will tell you, it is a great pistol! I got mine for summer carry, being how slim it is. I was a little weary about it only having 6-8 rounds, after holding it I was sold! I have put 500 rounds in on the range. Not one issue. I would also ask, What are you more accurate with? Bigger is not better if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.....

I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy, that being said the PPS is awesome!

I will also submit that with power ball ammo or the Hornady critical defense ammo, and others I have not mentioned, "It ain't your daddy's 9mm"

My two cents.

I also know that in reading an article about the PPS it takes 33% more labor to produce this pistol, due to the slim nature of it.

As for how accurate I am, It would take a couple of firearm rentals to determine that. What I have is a PK380. I have shot bigger guns before, but not enough to determine if I loose much accuracy past 9mm.

My one issue is that I have not ever owned a "safe-action" pistol before. Everything I have shot is either a revolver or has a manual safety. That is a bit of a mental block for me, but I am trying to get over it, since I know it's not really that much of a practical consideration.

Guest FiddleDog

I think it would come down to recoil management. 40s seem to look better on paper, but if it makes it a bear to shoot, I'd stick with what's easier to shoot. Have you had a chance to shoot either?

I bought the PPS .40 S&W about a year ago and now regret not picking the 9mm. I thought that bigger was better. I have now put over 600 rounds through it and it works flawlessly but it has very snappy recoil being so light. The advantage of greater stopping power of the 40 is meaningless if I never ever have to use it, have one less round and ammo is much more expensive.

If the proverbial SHTF in this country, I think I would rather have a collection of 9mm pistols than anything else. You can find 9mm anywhere and it's cheaper.

The price difference is negligible, but there is a difference. And as far as I know, you can't find millsurp in 40cal. Avg price on 9mm is about $12 bucks and 40SW will avg about $15 bucks. Now that $3 dollars might not seem like a lot, but if you're going through 2-3 boxes every time you go to the range, and you go to the range once or twice per week, you're looking at $6.00 - $18.00 per week difference. Over the course of a year, you could spend almost $1,000.00 more with 40cal.

As far as the stopping power, I think carbonarcher said it best:

"with power ball ammo or the Hornady critical defense ammo, It ain't your daddy's 9mm"
Guest carbonarcher

If you have ever tried a Glock, that is the trigger you can expect! It is a great trigger IMHO. I was double tapping inside of 15 rounds of shooting this fine pistol for the first time.

I wish you luck! I don't think that you can rent a Walther PPS, due to the cost of the pistol. If you get to try a Glock, you will get the feel of the trigger.

I have a PPS in .40 that I keep thinking I should sell because I never carry it... It does have a snappy recoil, but it's manageable, and the gun is darn accurate.

I prefer .40 over 9mm for a defensive round. Also - I don't know about your area, but my local Wal-Mart has had .40 available, even when everything else (including 9mm) has been sold out.

Edited by JPS
Caliber debate aside...

I am looking into getting a Walther PPS. Now, I have a decision between 9mm or 40cal.

Does anyone have any good advice about which to choose?

My considerations are...

Ammuntion cost (if ammo is too expensive, I won't practice with it)

Magazine size (9mm comes in 6,7,8 count mags, 40cal mags are all 1 less)

Is any extra stopping power worth the other sacrifices?

Anything else I haven't thought of...

Thanks for the advice.

Your considerations...

Ammunition Cost- The cost gap between 9mm and 40 is growing. 9mm is a worldwide NATO adopted round. Its easy to find and cheap.

Mag Capacity- Generally a bit higher capacity in 9mm depending on the gun.

Stopping Power- That is a BIG can of worms that ignites arguments worse than yankees and red sox fans in the room during a game. It usually is filled with emotion and little actual science. My 2 cents...don't worry about it and get what YOU feel comfortable with. If you are worried about 9 then don't carry it. If you are worried about 40 then don't carry it. You have to have confidence in what you choose to use. That being said your looking at a smaller gun with little mass. So as for me...I wouldn't want to carry a round that has more recoil, more muzzle flash, less capacity and costs me more to shoot it. That however is just me...Get whatever YOU feel comfortable with and worry not. They both work in the right hand.

I would guess for you the deciding factor would be ammo cost. 40S&W will cost more to shoot.

Unless you have some disabilities the recoil difference between the two shouldn’t be an issue. (Assuming you are a 25 year old man in good shape.)

If I was buying it for a carry gun it would be .40S&W. If I was buying it for a range gun it would be a 9MM.

I would guess for you the deciding factor would be ammo cost. 40S&W will cost more to shoot.

Unless you have some disabilities the recoil difference between the two shouldn’t be an issue. (Assuming you are a 25 year old man in good shape.)

If I was buying it for a carry gun it would be .40S&W. If I was buying it for a range gun it would be a 9MM.

Good advice.

I have both 9 and 40 in the exact same platform Glocks, 19/26, 23/27. Personally I shoot the 19 and 26 far more often. I also carry the 19 and now 26 far more often. I would rather carry what I shoot more and shoot better.

There is not a considerable difference in recoil between the 9 and 40, but the 40 has more recoil than either the 9 or 45. If you shoot like most people do, one box or so at a time, the recoil won't make that much difference. 40 is not unmanageable. However I shoot oftentimes several hundred times a session. I can shoot 9mm all day long. After 300-400 rounds of 40 I begin to tire quickly. The 9 as a defense round is more than adequate. With the 40 as I said you get more recoil than the 9 and 45 with a 10% better performance. I can personally shoot my 9's faster and more accurately than the 40. That is not to say i can't shoot the 40 accurately, but can shoot the 9 very well and very fast. In the end buy the one you like and can feel comfortable shooting.

The 9 is cheaper and that gap has grown in recent months. If you buy by the case the 9 is even cheaper than the 40 usually.