WASR Anyone had good results ?

Keyless

I had been looking for an AK type rifle and found one yesterday. However not being close to a computer at the time , I couldn't look anything up on them. I looked it over and it looked decent ,plus it had several add ons that I would have wanted to add and so on.

There are so many variations on Ak rifles that I couldn't keep them straight in my head . Unfortunatley I am not seeing great reports on this one. One of the main things I see is when they were cut to allow the high capacity mags , It was done crude and sloppy. This one is not that way and looks like it was done on a mill.

I hope to fire it shortly and hope I didn't make a mistake.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be decent rifles. Just check to make sure the gas block and front sight base are not canted. I had a Vulcan Arms import WASR I bought on gunbroker years ago that the pin hole in the reciever for the fire control group was egg shaped. Had a century one I bought from a co-worker that had a severely canted front sight base, slightly canted but still functioning gas block and it was incorrectly headspaced. That said.... I've seen more good ones than I have bad ones, just be sure to inspect it thoroughly.

As has already been said the mag cuts were often poorly done. They are not AK's, that are made to look like and hopefully function like an AK. I would be very careful buying any WASR. Check before buying to be sure an AK mag will lock in place properly. Check to see if front sight is canted.

Avoid Hesse, Vulcan, TN Gun, Ohio and a couple of others that are not coming to mind. IMO save a $100-200 more dollars and buy a higher quality AK style rifle. You can have a much better rifle for not a lot more money.

Edited by Warbird

It will take a factory AK magazine and it came with a 20 rounder . The front sight looks good and straight . The magazine seems to fit about like most I have seen , with some side to side movement but not much and it goes in and locks with ease .

I will try and shoot a few rounds tomorrow and hopefully it will do O.K.

I was just looking for a rifle that took the 30 round mags and still used the 7.62 x 39 like my SKS. Fun to shoot and not real high for ammo .

It will take a factory AK magazine and it came with a 20 rounder . The front sight looks good and straight . The magazine seems to fit about like most I have seen , with some side to side movement but not much and it goes in and locks with ease .

I will try and shoot a few rounds tomorrow and hopefully it will do O.K.

I was just looking for a rifle that took the 30 round mags and still used the 7.62 x 39 like my SKS. Fun to shoot and not real high for ammo .

If you got a good one and it runs, it should keep right on running.

Guest carbonarcher

I have seen some of the targets that they get shipped with for the test firing. I was surpised to see how accurate this varient of an ak could be at 100meters! More so then the ak's I have seen.

If you consider an Ak accurate? (Just enough, is good enough)

I was surpised to see how accurate this varient of an ak could be at 100meters! More so then the ak's I have seen.

If you consider an Ak accurate? (Just enough, is good enough)

Most of the reports of inaccuracy comes from people buying the cheapest rifle they can, shooting the cheapest ammo they find, then complaining that it's not an accurate rifle.

Are they pinpoint rifles? No. But I can hit a man sized target out to 400 yds pretty easily with my Arsenal SGL-21 and with my Bulgarian AK-74. Both equipped with iron sights.

That being said, WASR's are bottom of the barrel. If you buy one look out for the canted sight and take a set of go no-go gauges with you. I can't tell you how many I've seen close on a no-go gauge. Try it out with a bunch of different magazines and try to find on that is snug but not overly tight.

-or-

You can save a little more money and buy a quality rifle. Then you don't have to deal with any of this crap. or just a few hundred more dollars you can buy an Arsenal rifle that was built by people that know what they are doing, have a very high standards of production and superb quality control.

http://www.arsenalinc.com/

Mike

Edited by Mike

All WASR's aren't bad. There are pleanty of good ones out there. I haven't had any issues with mine at all. Nothing's canted, shoots great, reliable and as accurate as an AK can be. Not all of the WASR were done shabby, there are quite a few good ones out there......hopefully you got one like I did.

Origional pic

RHleggear023.jpg

What it looks like now...

RHleggear030.jpg

I walked out back to the targets and it shoots great. No feed issues and my eyes are not what they used to be but at about 65 yards I had no problems hitting the chest size targets. That is with open sights and standing . I go to the eye doctor on the 15th but even with new glasses it seems rifle sights look fuzzy or the target looks fuzzy. It has the side folding stock and a UTG rail setup on the front. I don't care for the muzzle break that is on it but push a lock pin and it just scews off .

I will be getting some more mags and ammo and a few small items .

WASR AK-47 rifles are apparently much better now than they were a few years ago. I got mine from a fellow TGO member, who could hit 16 inch steel plates regularly at 200 yards with it. I like it very much. It functions perfectly. There is a bit of mag wobble, but nothing that bothers me. Here's my review and pix....Mousegunner's Review of His Romanian GP WASR 10/63 AKM Semi-Auto Clone

mousegunner

Thanks for the review. I skimmed over it and see a bunch of good info.

I looked again and this one is a GP WASR 10 but there is no 63 on it. Not sure of the year of manufacture but it does have the bayonet lug and screw on muzzle break.

I was a little worried yesterday , but after some more in depth research and shooting it , I am pretty happy with it.

Guest no_masters

If it shooting ok, non canted sights, and accepts all magazines. I'd say go for it.

I had a friend who bought a side folding, tapco'd out wasr online and wasn't great. His wont even take standard metal ak mags, only promags that he has to shave down.

If the price is right go for it.

Mike

I will check into finding someone who can check the headspacing in the Chattanooga / Cleveland area. If not I may buy a set of the go , no go gauges.

If it is off , what can be done to correct it ? I have heard the term but not sure about how it is checked or fixed. I have a idea of what it is , in how the cartridge fits the barrel .

Thanks for all the info .

Mike

I will check into finding someone who can check the headspacing in the Chattanooga / Cleveland area. If not I may buy a set of the go , no go gauges.

If it is off , what can be done to correct it ? I have heard the term but not sure about how it is checked or fixed. I have a idea of what it is , in how the cartridge fits the barrel .

Thanks for all the info .

Yes i do still have the entire set.......but no, I don't want to part with it. Be more than happy to stain a set like that for you.

I may have to get with you on that sometime in the future.

Mike