Any experience with Del-ton AR 15 Products?

rkwatson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome products, good people, good shipping times. Best of all didn't raise prices during the Obamanation rush. Of course they got cleaned out because of it and took awhile to build their stock back up but I have dealer status with them and everything I order has been in stock for the last 6 months or so.

Guest mikedwood

I like mine very well. It had some FTF in the begining but I think that was me having to learn to clean it. Hasin't had a FTF in several hundred rounds now.

I don't care for the trigger much but it will take any AR trigger I want to put on it and I like the trigger more than I want to get rid of $200 for a timmeny trigger so I guess I even like the trigger.

I like mine very well. It had some FTF in the begining but I think that was me having to learn to clean it. Hasin't had a FTF in several hundred rounds now.

I don't care for the trigger much but it will take any AR trigger I want to put on it and I like the trigger more than I want to get rid of $200 for a timmeny trigger so I guess I even like the trigger.

Next time you are going to be on the other end of Knoxville PM me. I'll take care of that trigger for you. I have done a lot and have a very safe and easy way to get a better trigger. They are no where near a two stage match trigger but they do make for a decent factory trigger.

Dolomite

Guest mikedwood
Next time you are going to be on the other end of Knoxville PM me. I'll take care of that trigger for you. I have done a lot and have a very safe and easy way to get a better trigger. They are no where near a two stage match trigger but they do make for a decent factory trigger.

Dolomite

That would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update. Thanks for all the responses. I ordered my M4 AR15 rifle kit from Del-Ton and installed it on a Stag Lower. Everything looks and fits great and shoot very nice. I will buy again and only took 3 days to receve my order.

Just wanted to update. Thanks for all the responses. I ordered my M4 AR15 rifle kit from Del-Ton and installed it on a Stag Lower. Everything looks and fits great and shoot very nice. I will buy again and only took 3 days to receve my order.

Did it include the lower parts kit, specifically the hammer, sear and trigger?

If so how does it compare to others? Just curious if they have improved because in the past their lower parts kits have had quality issues. Almost every kit I have seen or talked to people about have had a noticeable decrease in quality when compared to others. (the front of the trigger should have a nice machined surface and the hook on the hammer should also be machined neither should have a "as cast" look to them)

Their other parts are good quality so I am not beating them up, just worried about their fire control parts because a failure there can have dire consequences. There are a few people in jail after a part failed and the gun went FA. According to the ATF any gun that fires more than one shot per pull of the trigger, even if it is caused by a failure of a part or a malfunction, is a machine gun.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

David Olofson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Olofson is a prime example, the ATF even stated the gun malfunctioned but not before it fired more than one shot. And now he sits in prison because of a part of the fire control failed.

This is the reason I only use known quality fire control parts, they are only $5-$10 more per kit, my freedom is worth more than a few dollars saved.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I just put some money down on the last Del-Ton they had at Frontier Firearms in Kingston today (Wednesday), and I did so because the price was great (came to about $875, total) and I've heard nothing but good things from people who aren't balls-deep (excuse the term) in LWRC or other high-end brands.

It's my first adventure into the AR platform and I'm pumped. :)

You are confusing me trying to help with being snobbish. I have helped a number of people on here to get quality guns built for not a lot of money spent for what they got. You don't need to spend a fortune to have a quality gun that shoots well, I don't. But you also don't need to skimp on the most important parts just to save $10 when you are spending the kind of money spend on building their AR's.

Like I said their products are good. If I was going to beat them up just to beat them up I would claim everything they make is crap but I didn't, just their fire controls. I am the farthest away from being a gear snob but I do appreciate quality parts where they count. I do not own high end guns or even parts for that matter but what I do own I know have a solid reputation for quality. All of mine were put together sitting at my table using basic hand tools.

One more thing, I hope the $875 you spent was on a complete rifle and not a kit and that was the total price including tax and TICS. Even if it was a complete rifle you got had by over $100. If it was a parts kit that you have to supply the lower then you really got had to the tune of at least $200. Delton sells their COMPLETE rilfes for $750, add $20 shipping then add $25 for the tranfer and TICS. At this point you are still in the COMPLETE rifle for less than $800.

Del Ton Rifles: Carbine Rifles, Standard Rifle and M4 Carbine Models | Rifles from Del-Ton, Inc.

Now if you order your Delton from Buds gun shop the COMPLETE gun shipped to your FFL is $723(this includes their CC fees and shipping insurance) then you pay your $25 fee for Transferring and the TICS and you have $748 total in your Delton as you walk out. I have ordered from Bud's several times so I know how much the "extras" cost.

Here are some Bud's examples:

ATI DELTON RFTH16-0 223 16 30 $698.00 SHIPS FREE

ATI DELTON RFTM16-0 223 16 30 $698.00 SHIPS FREE

And remember these are in stock and they will be at a FFL in the Knoxville area within 2 days or at least the guns I have ordered were.

There are several FFL's in the area that charge a $15 transfer fee and of course a $10 TICS. There is no reason to spend the $50+ on transfers some dealers charge.

Again I woudl like to say you were confusing me trying to help with being snobbish. I am far from it. I am willing to help anyone who needs help and I'll even offer the same to you. You are more than welcome to come to my house and we can do some shooting. I'll show you how to get a decent trigger on your AR with zero takeup for less than the cost of a single round of ammunition, even if you are shooting Wolf.

Dolomite

I was refering to other forums where everyone will tell you, "if not DD, it's crap." I have nothing but the highest regard for many of the members here. You've all been very helpful and knowledgable. I apologize if wires got crossed.

Yes, it was a complete rifle, with new Magpul furniture that fit the hands well.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I skimmed through the previous posts, so if you did suggest DD, that's no problem. They're high on my list of respectable riflemakers, but I've run into a few men and women who believe they're top dog for just owning one. Again, apologies.

Edited by Jon_L

Thanks, I may have jumped the gun as well and I am sorry. I just hate when people think I am a gear queer when I am the farthest from it. I am a firm beleiver that even if it is cheap as long as it works why not use it. I do have some higher end stuff but those items are filling critical roles where failure is not an option.

I have never recommended anything DD, not because I don't think they are good but because I have never owned any DD stuff. Even some of the highly regarded gear I will not recommend because I think that they are not a good value.

As I have said early on and very often to people, it doesn't take a lot of money to have a quality, reliable and accurate AR. What is does take is selecting the right components to ensure you are getting the best bang for your buck. Generally buying a "kit" is the worst thing you could do because they are skimping somewhere to keep the prices down. My main "go to" AR has a SS 16" standard weight match barrel and quality components throughout the gun. The entire gun cost me a hair over $800 to build by shopping around and I have never had a single issue with it since round one.

Whenever you want to get together you are welcome at my house. We can get your trigger done and sling some lead at the same time.

Dolomite

I was going to edit out the links and the other stuff but I think I am gong to leave it up so others can see and possibly get a quality gun for a reasonable amount of money. I am not leaving it up to try to upset you.

One should always weigh the realistic needs and purposes against the budget and the best available. There is no question the most well made AR's are a better product for several reasons than the mid-range and lower end products. There is a definite and very real difference in quality. On an AR the difference between crap and best is just a few hundred dollars, but then again that is a few hundred dollars. Less expensive for those with some mechanical aptitude.

The highest end guns are certainly preferred by OPERATORS and SERIOUS GAMERS. This isn't 99.5% of the AR ownership group. Most AR owners shoot their gun at the range and maybe the occasional group shoot of some sort. They never really run their equipment hard and most never ever will use their equip in any combat situation. A very few train hard with their guns.

So you end up with serious shooters, operators, and training enthusiasts and the very serious gamers commenting on their experiences with equipment. These experiences will follow patterns and certainly weed out the guns which tend to fail under intense punishment. This is read by others who never ever or nearly never run any gun they own hard and they mimic the serious shooters comments and thus is born that only some rifles are worthwhile and all the rest are crap.

There are many good choices in mid-line AR's. They will suit the needs of the VAST majority of the AR ownership group. IF you do buy a mid-line AR which works well for you and then you get into serious shooting, buy a high quality BCG spare, make sure your proper points are staked and run the gun hard.

The truth is that for nearly every mid-line AR, they are nearly all the same. Most use the same lower manufacturer. Most get their barrels from the same sources or use the same barrel equipment and steel.

AR15.com is the worst when it comes to people parroting what the few elitests atest to. I am a memebr there and ahve been for a long time. I agree with 99% of what is said but the 1 percenters are the ones who make it seem as though everyone elses AR's are junk unless they are wearing the most expensive equipment.

I am and have always been of the opinion if it works for what you want it to do with it then go with it. I have been overseas and have used my personal equipment, not firearms, to keep myself safe as well as those I was protecting. I can also say I didn't spend as much as some of the guys over there that believe that their piece of equipment made of unobtainium is infintely better than my equipment. In the end my equipment never failed and neither did theirs, which is better?, I don't know but I did spend less for mine leaving more money for other things. I can say that some, not all, equipment is worth the money but some is nothing more the proverbial cup of tactical coolaid that the manufaturer wants everyone to drink from. And if you look around there are low cost alternatives to most of the high end stuff you see and I am not talking about Chinese stuff but quality American made stuff.

As Warbid said the most important part of a AR that is going to be used for life and death situations is the bolt. Of all the mecahnical failures I have personally seen 90% or better was something related to the bolt or what was inside the bolt. Mostly the extractor springs are the cause but if the gas key isn't staked properly it will work loose and put your gun down. Bolts that aren't MPI tested and shot peened have a tendency to break as well. Do they break more than some that are?. That is hard to say but in a life and death situation you want to make sure to try to prevent any failures. Second to the bolt is the fire control parts and I do see some failures with those as well, mostly disconnects wearing out but I have also seen hammer and trigger pins break. I haven't seen a lot of hammer and trigger springs fail, I know they do happen but it has been rare for me to see. As long as you use quality parts you are going to have a rifle that will last thousands of rounds. On my main rifle I have well over 15,000 firing cycles on the fire control parts. Most are rimfire but it is still being cocked and fired.

As Warbird said most parts come from a few makers. At a gun show walk to the nearest table with AR's. Most will have an upper with the keyhole forge mark nowadays. Several different makers all had the same forge marks. Same goes for most of the rest of the parts as well. The difference lies in the details such as the bolt, barrel and fire controls.

Here is a good chart to see where different makers stand:

http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/070810-ar-chart.jpg

Here is a decent comaprison of others with pictures:

BCM Complete AR15 Upper and Lower Receivers [2010-01-01] - 03DESIGNGROUP

I do use cheap parts but not where it counts. I have used cheap scope mounts and as long as they stay tight I don't care how much I paid or where they came from. My wife's home defense AR in 9mm uses a cheap Chinese angle mount for her Bushnell red dot. It has over 5,000 rounds through the gun now and neither the mount or the scope have failed other than a few sets of batteries. My secondary gun, that gets shot the most now, wears a UTG quick detach front sight. A cheap railed gas block I bought used at a show for $20 then machined to work with my setup. It also wears a cheap set of Chinese rails, for a forward grip, that I attached to a DPMS $35 free float tube. I seriously doubt the rails are going to fail with how they are attached and the best part is the rail cost me less than $5 and perfomrs flawlessly.

And finally, I have very few safe queens. Everyone who knows me knows I say all the time my guns are nothing more than tools. If they get dropped, scratched or abused I don't care as long as they still function. If they fail from being used, even used hard, I don't want or need them anymore.

I am by no means and expert on AR's. I am someone who has built quite a few and I have seen failures. I have also bought a lot of junk in the past trying to save a buck but in the end it has always reared its ugly head. And as I said before you don't need to spend a ton to get a quality gun if you shop around.

Dolomite