Legal to Carry this?

Guest Grot

Guest clownsdd
This is about the dumbest post I have ever seen.

No offense, but that's one of the dumbest statements I've seen here.

There is no dumb question IF you don't know the answer.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

How would the barrel length below (as near as I can remember) 18-1/4" for a rifle or shotgun affect this weapon, if it would apply here, or have the laws changed?

From the Tennessee state code annotated:

39-11-106 **—

“Handgun” means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12") that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand;

I think the firearm in question would qualify as a handgun and thus would be legal to carry.

I have to take this, minor hijack, sorry, but under this if someone uses the Class 3 firearm act and modifies a shotguns or rifle with all the proper paper work can they legally call it a handgun?

I am referring to directions found in thread at

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/21578-what-you-need-know-about-national-firearms-act-nfa-class-iii-restricted-items.html

Lets go out on a limb and say, someone modifies a .270 into a shorty, 12 inch barrel, under the class III. I guess it could be called a .270 hand gun. (it kicks like a mule and jumps out of your hand every shot)

Or am I combining 2 many laws into something that was never intended?

I have to take this, minor hijack, sorry, but under this if someone uses the Class 3 firearm act and modifies a shotguns or rifle with all the proper paper work can they legally call it a handgun?

I am referring to directions found in thread at

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/21578-what-you-need-know-about-national-firearms-act-nfa-class-iii-restricted-items.html

Lets go out on a limb and say, someone modifies a .270 into a shorty, 12 inch barrel, under the class III. I guess it could be called a .270 hand gun. (it kicks like a mule and jumps out of your hand every shot)

Or am I combining 2 many laws into something that was never intended?

If I'm reading your question right, I think you're asking if a short-barreled rifle (bbl under 16") would qualify as a handgun if its barrel is under 12". No. The TCA for handguns states that a handgun is "...designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand." A short barreled rifle would not meet that defitinion.

Kinda like how a pistol is no longer a pistol if you throw a buttstock on it, regardless of the bbl length.

If I'm reading your question right, I think you're asking if a short-barreled rifle (bbl under 16") would qualify as a handgun if its barrel is under 12". No. The TCA for handguns states that a handgun is "...designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand." A short barreled rifle would not meet that defitinion.

Kinda like how a pistol is no longer a pistol if you throw a buttstock on it, regardless of the bbl length.

Ok, not an expert on how much modifying one can do in the Class III area. I kinda joking and wondering at the same time if you did all the paper work, got the stamp if you could modify down that much, I guess not.

Once a rifle always a rifle. If you shorten the barrel on a rifle to less than 16" it is still a rifle regardless of the stock it wears, even a pistol style stock. Once you get below 16" it will be a short barreled RIFLE, not a pistol. You can't take a rifle and legally convert it to a pistol, only into a short barreled rifle with the proper approval ($200 stamp). Even if you have a 16" barrel you must maintian at least 26" OAL or it will again fall into SBR status. Thompson Center series of pistols/rifles like the Contender and the G2 have exemptions from the BATFE which allow them to be converted back and forth at will so long as the barrel is never less than 16" while a rifle stock is attached because at that point it is a short barreled rifle.

A shotgun with a barrel of less than 18" or OAL of less than 26" is considered an "any other weapon". It also takes approval to make an AOW which also costs $200 if you are the one making it. If it is made by another who has already paid the $200 then it is only $5 to transfer.

The .410 pistols are legal because a portion of the barrel is rifled so it is not considered a shotgun but a pistol. It just so happens it is capable of firing a .410 shell as well as the 45 LC.

As far as Taurus. I have owned one. It went bang every time but it wasn't a nice weapon. It felt cheap and the parts inside were made using a grinder. The worst part about the weapon though is it had Taurus on the side of it. I contacted Taurus about the fact the new pistol didn't have a frint sight. They wanted me to ship it in to install the sight rather than just mail me the sights. In the end they sent the wrong sights and refused to do anything else for me so I had to pay out of pocket to fix a brand new Taurus.

45 LC is far from the top of people killers. I would venture 22lr followed by 9mm would be the top two pistol calibers. The Judge while interesting is far from ideal for self defense. It is too large to carry and conceal if need be. Although 410 will kill you it is far from the best caliber out there. Even the 45 LC has its drawbacks.

As far as your claims I would like to see and hear of your testing methods you used to come up with your conclusions. Just because a round is capable of killing a milk jug or pumpkins hardly makes it lethal. Look at Glaser Safety slugs, they will absolutely destroy a milk jug but have penetration levels in the 4" range. Hardly enough to reach the vitals in all but the starving Somali.

I understand you like your Judge and I am not dinging you for it we are all saying it is far from the ideal self defense gun. The new ammo makes it a better 410 revolver but it is still a 410 revolver.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly