Taurus PT 22B

Coastie

I am planning on buying a PT 22B Taurus International Manufacturing Inc for concealed carry and recreational shooting. I was 20 years in the military (Army and Coast Guard) and have been a civilian police officer. Even so my firearms knowledge is pretty limited to what I was issued or told I could carry. Same goes for the ammo. I have qualified on .38's, 9 mm, .45 cal handguns and various other weapons but I am not a marksman by any means. Never higher than marksman with handguns and sharpshooter with rifles, machine guns, etc.

I like Taurus's safety features and repair warranty. I like the size, look, and low cost of ammo for the PT 22B. My 45 is better than a 22 in a lot of areas but not size and cost of ammo. Never had to before really care about being able to conceal or conceal very well or cost of ammo.

I am going to take the handgun carry class in Tennessee and would not like to embarrass myself on the range. I have a military 45 but would like to use the PT 22 on the range since it is what I plan on carrying and ammo cost. It has been suggested that I use the 45 on the range because I would have a harder time qualifying with the PT 22.

Is anyone familiar with the requirements to pass the range portion of the handgun carry class? Recommend a basic marksman to attempt with the PT22?22B.jpg

Edited by Coastie
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree that going with the .45 makes more sense on the range test. The reason is; you are more familiar with the weapon and the longer sight radius will make it more accurate at greater distances. I have not taken the test myself but I am sure others will agree. Once you have passed the test you can take your new .22 out and get comfortable with it before you carry it.

Mr. Coastie,

Thank you for protecting our shores! I wouldn't worry in the least about passing the shooting portion of your concealed carry class. You will pass. It's really easy. It's so easy it's fun and stress free. I also like the Taurus PT-22. It's on my list. While a single shoot from a 22 is not considered very powerful, that little pistol will empty the magazine in 2 seconds.

Thanks for the quick info, guys. Ability to conceal and cost of ammo is higher on my priorities now than stopping power. I am not planning on getting into any gun fights. Just trying to get the scum's attention and that me and mine aren't to be messed with.

Guest Xring04

I would pass on the Taurus, .22lr can and does kill, but the perp normally dies an hour or so later at the hospital. (gross generalization) My biggest problem with that pistol as well as the Beretta is the lack of an extractor. It uses the blow back action of the gun to eject the shells. This creates two problems for me. One, with pocket lint or fouling from firing, you may experiences failures to eject. My second and biggest problem with carrying a rimfire for personal defense, is the reliability of the ammo.

What about a Ruger LCP? Centerfire reliability, better cartridge, slimmer pistol, and the price is pretty close to the Taurus.

Also I'd take to .45 to the hcp class. Just my .02.

Just for peace of mind, I'd take what I was most comfortable with to qualify. That said, you won't have any problems, no matter what you choose to shoot.

Wish you were closer; I have the little Taurus .22 in stainless, and would be glad for you to take it for a "test run." Never had any problems with it, or with the Beretta 21A that it's patterned after. It ain't a target pistol, but so far, it has always gone "bang" when the trigger is pulled.

Fired a friend's Beretta 21A this evening. Fired only about 50 rounds using old ammo. Had quite a few jams. Some caused by the old ammo and some by me slow firing trying for accuracy.

I am going to need a lot of practice to get my meager skills back. The Ruger LCP would be good except for the difference in cost in ammo between .380 and .22LR. I am going to need a lot of ammo and practice before I take the carry class! Could get expensive with .45 or 9 mm just to get ready for class. Not to mention recreational shooting later.

I really hope you would not have to practice that much to pass the shooting portion. My lady friend passed without any practice and has fired maybe 100 rds total at various different times prior to taking it. I think you are over thinking this. If you plan to carry the gun, one of the last considerations should be the cost of ammo. I understand needing to practice with your carry gun, but promise you, the last thing you will think about as you are drawing your weapon to defend yourself is the money you have spent on ammo. I am not rich by any means; in fact, I am a broke student. I completely understand a cost issue, but I still carry a .45 or .38. They are not really range guns, but a box of ammo every month or two is sufficient to keep the rust knocked off.

I really hope you would not have to practice that much to pass the shooting portion. ... If you plan to carry the gun, one of the last considerations should be the cost of ammo. ....

Good points! I have been reading about and thinking about moving up to a KelTec PF-9 Kel Tec CNC. Seems to be about the same size as PT 22 but uses 9 mm and if I want to save on ammo cost, I have a friend who reloads 9 mm.

Coastie, where in East Tennessee are you? If you need a place to practice, shoot me a PM.

I wouldn't choose a .22 for self defense. .32 ACP is as small as I'd go (I like the penetration of the .32 over the diameter of the .380). 9mm is acceptable. Again, for the test, use a pistol that you are familiar with, and use one with a good sight radius. If you need, I can arrange to loan you something suitable for the test (beforehand, so you can practice with it).

Best of luck

I love my PT22 I've had it more than 11 years and have put tons of rounds thru it. I only wish it were sa/da instead of double action olny. I often carry it in a pocket holster but I do like the peace of mind a 9mm brings. That being said, I've got enough rounds thru the PT22 that I'm confident I can put a bullet where I need to. Careful, this may turn into a caliber thread. There's enough of those already.:wall:

If you've qualified for service carry of a handgun... the shooting portion of the HCP class will be breeze. Trust us, it's really that easy.

I'd also suggest you take something bigger to the class. They record the make and caliber of gun you use to qualify, take the biggest caliber you're comfortable with.

As for the PT22, I've no experience with those. I'd prefer to carry at least a .380 or .38+P.

I'd also suggest you take something bigger to the class. They record the make and caliber of gun you use to qualify, take the biggest caliber you're comfortable with.

I'll show my ignorance and ask, Why would a person care what caliber they record? My thinking is as long as a person passes the course and is able to receive his HCP is all that matters.

I'll show my ignorance and ask, Why would a person care what caliber they record? My thinking is as long as a person passes the course and is able to receive his HCP is all that matters.

I was told by one of the instructors that in the unfortunate event you get involved in a shooting, the caliber handgun you used to qualify vs. what was involved in the shooting can be brought into question. Particularly if you miss the target and hit something you shouldn't. There's no legal basis that I'm aware of, just a ploy lawyers might use to influence a jury.

Good points! I have been reading about and thinking about moving up to a KelTec PF-9 Kel Tec CNC. Seems to be about the same size as PT 22 but uses 9 mm and if I want to save on ammo cost, I have a friend who reloads 9 mm.

I can assure you that the PF9 is a wonderful choice! Perfect balance of size vs. cailber. Fits in your pocket perfectly and accepts a laser sight if ya feel like gettin fancy. Kicks like a mule though so it's not a range gun. Strictly self defense.

The wife and I used a .22 for qualifcation. I had purchased a new Walther P22 and showed it to her the evening before we went the next morning for the class. She had NEVER fired it and yet shot 100%. It is that easy. Many have and many will use a .22 for self defense, however, there might be times when your thinking .45 and two extra mags.

Coastie, where in East Tennessee are you? ... If you need, I can arrange to loan you something suitable for the test (beforehand, so you can practice with it).

Best of luck

Thanks. I'm in Loudon County. I have a friend who will let me use his Beretta 22 or a 9 mm.

• 1 year later...

Here's a bit of thinking outside the box? Why not buy two guns?... one for recreational shooting and another for carry. For carry, you want a gun that will reliably go bang every time... no jams. That's the knock on all 22's, they can be finicky on the type of ammo so you want to be sure that you practice with your carry ammo. Once you can be sure that it will fire every time, the little 22 is a heck of a lot better than no gun at all.

If I carried a 22, I'd also carry a spare mag. Like another poster said, you can empty a mag in 2 seconds and several shots with a 22 would probably stop the fight or slow someone down enough to give you time to seek cover and reload.

The cost of the gun itself is minimal. Most guns will be worth close to what you paid for it several years later, so owning two guns is not a big cost factor over the long run. Most of us on the forum own... well... let's just say more than one handgun.

I just saying that if you have $300 in savings that you aren't using, you could put it into a good handgun priced right from the classifieds, keep it for a couple of years, and then sell it for what you paid for it... or close to it. Plus, you've had the extra protection and enjoyment of owning the firearm.

I am considering this exact gun (the Taurus PT22) for my sister, who has incredibly small hands. For ease of concealment, you might consider the Taurus LCP or Kel Tec P3-AT. Both are about the same size at the PT22. A little larger and you have a lot more choices... Kahr PM9, Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P11. A tiny bit larger is my personal carry, the 9mm Taurus 709 slim.