Tennessee Patriot alert on house speaker

Guest rxdoc

I received an email from the Tennessee Patriot warning me about Beth Harwell running for house speaker. They indicated that she would be a disaster for 2A issues. It was strongly suggested that I contact my rep and urge them to vote for anyone but Harwell. Apparantly, it'S expected that all the Dems will support Harwell. since I'm relatively new to TN I figured I'd pass this on and ask for input.

Thanks

Bob

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to wonder about the intelligence level (or at least the commitment to Republican/Conservative principals) of a person who would align with Kent Williams. It would appear to be "reaching across the isle" of the First Order. The only way to garner the support of Dem's would be to promise Committee appointments for the coming year. Williams did the very same thing last year, as was drummed out of the Republican party for his efforts!

What is it about holding a majority that is so hard for Tennessee Republicans to understand?

I will email senator yager and rep cobb today.

Didn't Cobb get beat? They wont vote for a new speaker till January I hear when the new legislator is sworn in. I would like to see an online petetion, a (NO HARWELL) petition that can be signed with names and city to be sent to the entire legislator. I will in the meantime e-mail Rep. Phillip Johnson with our concerns about Harwell.

Didn't Cobb get beat? They wont vote for a new speaker till January I hear when the new legislator is sworn in. I would like to see an online petetion, a (NO HARWELL) petition that can be signed with names and city to be sent to the entire legislator. I will in the meantime e-mail Rep. Phillip Johnson with our concerns about Harwell.

The vote for Speaker takes place December 8, 2010.

It is a secret ballot, so nobody has to own up to their votes.

Edited by Worriedman
The vote for Speaker takes place December 8, 2010.

It is a secret ballot, so nobody has to own up to their votes.

Are the newly elected members of the House part of the members who vote, or is it the set that has been there all year? Wasn't sure if the freshmen went to Nashville before January.

They will have a caucus meeting with the new members on the 8th, that is where the wheeling and dealing, arm twisting and such is done.

The great danger is that committee Chairmanships will be dealt in the attempt to put a Kent Williams style knife in the back of Concervatives. If the Judiciary Committee winds up in the hands of a Democrat as payment for support for the Speakers position, any hope of moving 2nd Amendment issues is gone for the next two years. Plus, with Harwell's record of voting against every gun Bill, it will be Naifeh as usual business in the House.

The actual vote takes place in January, but the deal will be done in December. The votes are cast as a Secret ballot, but, the count by member will be available after the speaker is chosen.

It is not just gun issues that are at risk, remember, every Bill that has to do with money must originate in the House. The citizens of this State have spoken on moving toward a Conservative bent, but if this travesty takes place, the will of the people will have been distorted and stolen!

Politics and professional wrestling are both rigged, gentlemen.

Very true.

However, the British had the Tea Tax rigged back then, and they were going to take the munition stores at Concord and Lexington. A small group of dedicated individuals beat that one. The vast majority sat on their hands, but a few figured it was worth the effort.

Tennessee does not have to take this.

Guest tnxdshooter
Very true.

However, the British had the Tea Tax rigged back then, and they were going to take the munition stores at Concord and Lexington. A small group of dedicated individuals beat that one. The vast majority sat on their hands, but a few figured it was worth the effort.

Tennessee does not have to take this.

I have already written to Rep Cobb who is the rep of this district and expressed dissatisfaction with Beth Harwell and urged him not to vote for her. I received a response back that said he would not be voting for harwell. Whether that is true or not I dont know but thus far everything he and yager have promised to do they have done at least in relation to things promised to me.

Guest tnxdshooter

No,

Cant see as how cobb got beat when he was the only one running for his position LOL! To be perfectly honest I have never known of anyone who ran unopposed to lose.

Edited by tnxdshooter
No,

Cant see as how cobb got beat when he was the only one running for his position LOL! To be perfectly honest I have never known of anyone who ran unopposed to lose.

There were two Cobbs in the TN legislature. I think K191145 is referring to Ty Cobb (Maury Co. / Columbia area), who did lose the election.

There were two Cobbs in the TN legislature. I think K191145 is referring to Ty Cobb (Maury Co. / Columbia area), who did lose the election.

That's who got beat, Ty Cobb, which by the way was a democrat. He lost to a GOP woman named Butt so Butt beat Cobb:lol:(High school snicker), in Maury Co.

SButt Sheila Butt 10,790

TCobb Ty Cobb 8,649

RMartin Ricky Martin 359

Just wondering what else besides the 2nd Amendment issue we can express our concern over Harwell to our Reps. I admitt I haven't kept up with her but i'm not in her district. I would like to have a few more points to add to the 2nd Amendment issue when I e-mail my Rep.

Edited by K191145
Guest archerdr1

I emailed my rep. He asked that I keep our exact conversation confidential as he and her are suite mates when they are in Nashville so he wants to live without headaches. I will give you the jist of what he said though. He doesn't think that she has the votes to win it and he thinks that another rep will step up that is more conservative

my feeling this morning is were screwed, I think the Dems will all fall in line like last year and every single one will vots for Harwell. The repubs will split the vote between Harwell and Casada... thus at best it will be close but we probably end up with Harwell.

What im hearing more and more and im shareing with you is 2nd amendment bills will take a back burner this year, no one wants to talk about them anymore.

So I think were dead in the water on most issues anyway. I hope im wrong but thats the way im seeing it.

my feeling this morning is were screwed, I think the Dems will all fall in line like last year and every single one will vots for Harwell. The repubs will split the vote between Harwell and Casada... thus at best it will be close but we probably end up with Harwell.

What im hearing more and more and im shareing with you is 2nd amendment bills will take a back burner this year, no one wants to talk about them anymore.

So I think were dead in the water on most issues anyway. I hope im wrong but thats the way im seeing it.

Sadly, I think you are dead on with this assessment.

Gun owners have not been vociferous in their pronouncements, and have been less than generous with their dollars as related to political candidates. We refuse to unite with hunters and shooters of the various disciplines to stake out a position of strength. The number of trial lawyers is minuscule as compared to gun owners across this state, yet they contribute millions, and as a group, we contribute nothing. They are effective, while we are not, money talks, and BS walks or so I have been told.

Sadly, I think you are dead on with this assessment.

Gun owners have not been vociferous in their pronouncements, and have been less than generous with their dollars as related to political candidates. We refuse to unite with hunters and shooters of the various disciplines to stake out a position of strength. The number of trial lawyers is minuscule as compared to gun owners across this state, yet they contribute millions, and as a group, we contribute nothing. They are effective, while we are not, money talks, and BS walks or so I have been told.

The thought struck me while reading your post that what you say about money and giving is dead on. However, another thought came to me that I had never considered before. If you think about it, when a trial lawyer--or a group of them--is lobbying the legislature, they are protecting their bread and butter. They are invested because their very livelihood is at stake. While we are very committed to our own issues, not many make their living from guns or will have their livelihood threatened by the laws dealing with them. Trial lawyers fight tooth and nail against anything that would potentially affect their earnings. What does it take to get us to fight like that, give like that, and squawk like that? This is not meant as a criticism of anyone. I guess I am really asking, since we know what is motivating them, what will it take to get us that motivated? It sort of reminds me of the chicken and the pig arguing about who made the greatest contribution to breakfast. The pig told the chicken, "You are involved--I am committed." As Bill O'Reilly would say, "What say you?'

NNNNoooooo!!! Someone tell me wrasslin is real! :(

Well, even knowing WWE is rigged/fake/etc. I like to believe it is more real than politics.

Harwell is my rep, so I don't think calling her would do me any good. She seems to ignore all correspondence that she doesn't agree with anyway - at least that has been my experience with her.

Well I just e-mailed my Rep., Phillip Johnson. I think from his votes in the House he will choose someone besides Harwell.

Representative Johnson:

Let me congratulate you on your re-election, I had no doubt you would win. As one of your constituents and a long time resident of the 78th House district I sincerely ask you to support and vote for a Representative other than Beth Harwell for Speaker of the House and encourage your fellow Representatives to do so, perhaps Rep. Glen Casada would be the best candidate for Speaker. It is a concern of mine and many others that Rep. Harwell is much closer to the Democrats in policy and ideology than she is Republican. The people of the state elected a larger majority of conservative Republicans this election which I truly believe the people want state government to follow a true conservative agenda and Rep. Harwell would be a huge step backwards of that agenda if she were Speaker of the House with the power to delay or even kill important legislation as she personally see's fit in hand picked committee's. I fear she would be a woman's version of Rep. Nafieh. Please don't allow the minority of Democrats in the house to again commit a shameful coup by choosing who they wish to be Speaker as they did the last election of Speaker.

Thank You.

Kingston Springs

Professional wrestling and wrestlers are far more honest than politics and politicians, at least they admit wrestling is staged entertainment but politicians still try to convince you they are genuine.