First year Muzzleloader - Suggestions

Guest clutepc

Guest clutepc

This is my first year hunting with a Muzzleloader.

I'm open to any suggestions anyone has..

I bow hunted all year last year and thought I would try something new this year.

I bought a CVA Optima, no scope, I'm happy with it so far, it was easy to get sighted in.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get up in a tree. Keep quiet. De-scent as best you can. If you were seeing deer during archery, you'll be fine for muzzle loader.

+1 on getting the rifle scoped and zeroed. Speed loaders are nice but generally if you miss, that attempt is done. I did have one occasion back when I used a caps rifle before 209's became the standard that went "pop" instead of bang on one dumb doe. She was amazed at this critter up in a tree that made popping sounds then moved around to carefully stick a pipe cleaner down the nipple and reload another cap. She went home with me as she did not want to pollute the gene pool.

Get up in a tree. Keep quiet. De-scent as best you can. If you were seeing deer during archery, you'll be fine for muzzle loader.

+1 on getting the rifle scoped and zeroed. Speed loaders are nice but generally if you miss, that attempt is done. I did have one occasion back when I used a caps rifle before 209's became the standard that went "pop" instead of bang on one dumb doe. She was amazed at this critter up in a tree that made popping sounds then moved around to carefully stick a pipe cleaner down the nipple and reload another cap. She went home with me as she did not want to pollute the gene pool.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dry Powder (I like the Pellets) and speed loaders. That I can bring to the table.

Guest Carryin Counselor

+1 on speed loaders. Muzzleloading is my favorite hunting. Although one shot is typically all you, the deer don't know where the shot came from. So, if you miss be patient, they usually don't run far and sometimes come back.

Guest clutepc

Do most of you walk in the woods with it loaded ready to shoot in the afternoons, in case you see something in the fields, then take the primer out before pulling it up to your stand?

I'll probably keep it unloaded until I get in the stand but I wanted to ask.

Thanks everyone for the info, I've been seeing a lot of deer during bow season, most staying around limbs I couldn't shoot through and others I passed on.

I look forward to being able to reach out and touch them a little more than I could with the bow.

I'm using the 100gr 777 pellets and 245gr Hollow Point PowerBelts, that seemed to be a good combination and I have it set where it's hitting 3 inches high at 50 yards.

I've got a speedloader but I hope that I don't need that..lol

I'll probably have a scope on it before the season is up, I don't have scopes on anything but a 22 I shoot, so it would be a change.

Do most of you walk in the woods with it loaded ready to shoot in the afternoons, in case you see something in the fields, then take the primer out before pulling it up to your stand?

Thanks everyone for the info, I've been seeing a lot of deer during bow season, most staying around limbs I couldn't shoot through and others I passed on.

I look forward to being able to reach out and touch them a little more than I could with the bow.

I'm using the 100gr 777 pellets and 245gr Hollow Point PowerBelts, that seemed to be a good combination and I have it set where it's hitting 3 inches high at 50 yards.

I'll probably have a scope on it before the season is up, I don't have scopes on anything but a 22 I shoot, so it would be a change.

I keep it loaded with a primer ready to go but I hunt from ground blinds. I would however keep a primer ready just in case.

Guest clutepc

I hunt mostly public land so I try to get in a stand, being on the ground is not a place I like to be during gun season.

Not that I've ever had a problem but better safe than sorry I guess.

WD-40 - I'm like you facing down is the only way I ever thought of pulling it up, I'm sure there are hunters not thinking about that and pulling barrel first.

I don't want any gun, loaded or unloaded pointing at me.

Guest sneakboxer

I have had lots of problems over the years with my flintlock. You will have less with yours but some things cross over. Here is a few things that i do differently now.

Mark your ramrod with a reference line to ensure you did not forget something or double load - reloading in a hurry can cause problems.

Keep the rifle from changing temps as much as possible - to avoid moisture.

Swab the barrel with rubbing alcohol, let dry, prior to loading - to avoid excess lube or storage oil from saturating my charge.

Change the powder in my possibles bag and current load if in doubt - powder in cheap.

Prick touch-hole / ensure clear of obstructions

Lastly, enjoy the differences don't hate them. It will make you a better hunter.

Guest TnRebel

I use 80 grns of Pyrodex in one 50 and one 30 grns pellets with a 245gr Hollow point PowerBelt sabbit in a Hawken Woodsman .50 cal. Percussion Rifle

and take deer out to 100 to 125 yrds , 100 grns of 777 seams a little hot to me as 777 burns hotter then Pyrodex.

Guest TnRebel

Here is a little trick a Flintlock shooter taught me years ago, like you I load up at the beginning of deer season and keep it loaded till after , I save those little pkg. of silicone that comes in electronic packing and put them in my gun sock that I keep my black powder rifle in and it helps keep the powder dry.

Here is a little trick a Flintlock shooter taught me years ago, like you I load up at the beginning of deer season and keep it loaded till after , I save those little pkg. of silicone that comes in electronic packing and put them in my gun sock that I keep my black powder rifle in and it helps keep the powder dry.

The little packages that read "Do not eat"?