Your opinion.

Guest Sara P.

Sara,

Anyone here would be a little crazy to give you an interview. Why don't you stop by a couple area gun stores and talk to their owners and patrons. You're probably more likely to get someone to give you a few minutes face-to-face.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be some young single guys here who would show Sara the ins and outs of guns and shooting sports. One can do many interviews, but unless hands on is experienced, words may not be surficient. So don't run her off so quickly.

Guest tnxdshooter
This is absurd. and Jamie - an objective reporter doesn't put his or her own opinion in a story, or let it be known.

I'm giving up on this site. Obviously, you guys want to complain and not contribute.

Uhhh huh she is anti gun. This was a trap all along and she has been ousted.

Actually she is a current CA journalist, even though she says it was last summer. Unless they've been holding onto her articles and releasing them slowly. Her most recent article in the CA was published 10/30/2010.

She may be on the up-and-up and is just writing a piece for a grade in her journalism class. But I'd hesitate to trust her. The Commercial Appeal has been consistently anti-gun or at least against people being able to obtain handgun carry permits. I love their tactic of publishing everyone's names and other identifying information in their little database.

So I'm sure she'd be happy to find the most rabid, stereotyped "gun nut" that she could find as an interview candidate. Probably get her a guaranteed job with the CA when she graduates.

I live in her town and am even an alumnus of her college, but I'd be a poor interview candidate. I have rather middle of the road views about gun ownership, and nobody wants to hear about THAT. Extremism on either side of an issue is what defines balanced journalism today, not someone with an open mind who can understand both sides of a topic.

At least you learned a valuable lesson for your future career, Sara: not everybody wants to talk to reporters these days because your profession has too often violated what used to be a sacred trust with the public and has been shown to be more often than not only interested in selling advertisements.

Geez guys. If the CA wants to bash us, they don't need Sarah's help. I'll talk to her

I can just see the headline now: OLD FART WITH GUN CHASES COLLEGE GIRL! :eek::eek::devil::lol:

Geez guys. If the CA wants to bash us, they don't need Sarah's help. I'll talk to her

I agree.

I would be willing to talk to her but I’ve been pretty vocal that I’m against guns in bars… period. As I think the majority of us are. So some of you guys that think that’s a good idea need to contact her if you think you can make an intelligent argument.

However… if she is doing this with the intent of it ending up in the CA she is going to pick out the stupidest sounding tin foil hats we have and label them “Pro Gun”. I can just picture an interview with some of our “The government is out to take our guns” members. :devil:

Sara,

While we don't really trust you, I'd guess that even more, we don't trust your boss, and his/her boss... and so on. Have you ever had a story published 100% unedited? I doubt it. Even if you are an upstanding, ideological journalist who reports only the facts in full context, we have zero confidence that such writing will see the light of day. Your editors will twist it however they see fit prior to publishing. That's how it works, and we know that. So forgive the cynicism, it's not personal. We just don't like or trust your bosses.

...but I’ve been pretty vocal that I’m against guns in bars… period.

But Tennessee doesn't have any bars... remember?

And if we do, you know as well as I do that guns are already there. Have been since the beginning, and will be, to the end.

Right this minute though, they're in the wrong hands... They're being carried by folks who couldn't care less what the law says.

As I think the majority of us are.

Then again, you seem to think a lot of things that many (most?) of us don't...

But Tennessee doesn't have any bars... remember?

And if we do, you know as well as I do that guns are already there. Have been since the beginning, and will be, to the end.

Right this minute though, they're in the wrong hands... They're being carried by folks who couldn't care less what the law says.

Then again, you seem to think a lot of things that many (most?) of us don't...

Well said...as usual. :eek:

You seriously telling me that TN calls all those places on lower Broadway that serve booze and popcorn as "restaurants?"

If you ask me what it is...it's a bar. If you ask the state of TN for a technical answer...it is a restaurant. Why is that? Because the ABC don't enforce shizzle! :devil:

You seriously telling me that TN calls all those places on lower Broadway that serve booze and popcorn as "restaurants?"

"Honkey tonks", "Dives", "Beer joints"... and a few other things. That's what they've traditionally been called... but the state doesn't recognize them as "bars".

I'm certainly not gonna talk to her. Heck, my 11 year old daughter can twist my words around to make me say things I dont mean to, so I'm sure a reporter, fledgling or not, could easily do the same. But I kinda disagree with the trend here...trap or not....is there not someone here that is well spoken enough (David?) who could take this on in an effort to get our side told? Their side will be told regardless, and it seems to me that when our side gets publicity, its through the use of people like Kwik, who plays right into their hands. Are they smarter than we are?

Speaking of Tootsie's....

Somewhere in there on one of the walls, in and amongst the picture of the truly famous people, is a picture of my grandfather and... my mother. :eek::devil:

Also, I remember the days when Tootsie herself was the the only security there... Her and her hat pin. :lol:

I'm certainly not gonna talk to her. Heck, my 11 year old daughter can twist my words around to make me say things I dont mean to, so I'm sure a reporter, fledgling or not, could easily do the same. But I kinda disagree with the trend here...trap or not....is there not someone here that is well spoken enough (David?) who could take this on in an effort to get our side told? Their side will be told regardless, and it seems to me that when our side gets publicity, its through the use of people like Kwik, who plays right into their hands. Are they smarter than we are?

The problem isn't giving a well spoken and accurate interview. If I even remotely thought that was the case I'd contact her, meet her, buy her a cup of coffee, and give her a representation of our side from a good, solid, middle ground. The problem is it won't make a difference. If it was a live TV interview I'd go, but print can be chopped up like crazy.

...print can be chopped up like crazy.

Yep. Never minding what the reporter may say or have in mind to say, their editor gets the final word, and can have the article saying - or implying - about anything they care to.

....Sara, as a journalism student myself I know that an objective reporter doesn't let their opinion color a story, unfortunately there are few truly objective reporters anymore. There are ways of inserting opinion without actually stating an opinion, usually having to do with the omission of context of quoted material. Take a look at most news sources and tell me that I'm wrong. ....

To expand of what Drewsett has said; it is foolish to believe that there is a "literary form" that is "objective". Anyone who thinks more than about 10 seconds about this will understand that there has never been a literary work, news story, play, opera, song, work of fiction, or any other "intellectual musing" that is free of bias and, therefore, full of objectivity. It simply doesnt happen. I will grant that there is a small fraction that may take the "high ground", so to speak, and keep their bias in check. That rarely happens in the newspaper business, however; as Drewsett has so excellently pointed out.

When one thinks about anything thoroughly; one cant help but develop an opinion or "bias" for or against an issue or ideal. That is a fact of the human condition. The newspaper industry, those in academia, and other "elite" groups (...polititians are an excellent example...) would have you believe that they do not engage in such "base" ruminations; and, therefore are the real "priests" of "truth and objectivity". The fact is; nothing could be farther from the truth.

Given the little bit of musing outlined above; it's a pretty "hard sell" to convince me (...and many others on this forum...) that anyone; no matter how winsome, well-spoken, well-mannered, kind, or comely is; indeed "objective". Objectivity is not a part of the human condition. And, believing all these things, those who purport to "objectively report" on "hot button" issues are viewed with polite suspicion.

Food for thought.

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!!
Speaking of Tootsie's....

Somewhere in there on one of the walls, in and amongst the picture of the truly famous people, is a picture of my grandfather and... my mother. :eek::devil:

Man, I would like to find that shot!

Also, I remember the days when Tootsie herself was the the only security there... Her and her hat pin. :lol:

You're older than 47, ain'tcha? :eek:

Man, I would like to find that shot!

You and me both. I haven't been in the place since I was a kid. ( Yes, I was taken into a "bar" as a youngster. Explains a lot, doesn't it? :devil: )

You're older than 47, ain'tcha? :eek:

Only on the inside...

... and having an oddly-long memory that stretches back to where it shouldn't don't help. :-\

This is absurd. and Jamie - an objective reporter doesn't put his or her own opinion in a story, or let it be known.

I'm giving up on this site. Obviously, you guys want to complain and not contribute.

I can just see the headline:

Tennessee Gun Owners mute on changes to state gun laws: what are they hiding?