PLUM CRAZY

Sidinman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine shipped out today, should be here by Friday.

"Oh noes - it will dun blowd up your face!!!!1"

We'll see. $125 shipped to my door (wish I had gotten in on them for $99 shipped when they first released).

Now if JSE would only get complete assembled uppers back in stock for $325, I *might* be able to put together a complete AR for UNDER $500... new.

Another forum I am on had a user get one of these for a dedicated lower for his single shot .50bmg upper - lol.

Mine shipped out today, should be here by Friday.

"Oh noes - it will dun blowd up your face!!!!1"

We'll see. $125 shipped to my door (wish I had gotten in on them for $99 shipped when they first released).

Now if JSE would only get complete assembled uppers back in stock for $325, I *might* be able to put together a complete AR for UNDER $500... new.

Another forum I am on had a user get one of these for a dedicated lower for his single shot .50bmg upper - lol.

I almost got confused and thought I was on the PBB OSR reading your post, lol.

David, are you an FFL? If so and you are looking to make a little money I have several friends wanting to get one of these after shooting mine. I too am interested in picking up a couple more of these down the road to make a 7.62 and 6.8 rifles out of.

David, are you an FFL? If so and you are looking to make a little money I have several friends wanting to get one of these after shooting mine. I too am interested in picking up a couple more of these down the road to make a 7.62 and 6.8 rifles out of.

No, but a good friend is. The place I got mine from sent me their last one, as I think these things are getting popular due to the price point.

I think it's time I check with him on getting a few more of these into the area for people who want them to blow up in their faces :cool:

I know I talked with the guy from plum crazy a few weeks back and they really wanted to get into the TN market and had no dealers. He was asking if I knew any dealers in the area personally. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for him to get setup as a reseller. If he could sell these at $130 price point with simple TICS I think he could really do well with it.

I know I talked with the guy from plum crazy a few weeks back and they really wanted to get into the TN market and had no dealers. He was asking if I knew any dealers in the area personally. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for him to get setup as a reseller. If he could sell these at $130 price point with simple TICS I think he could really do well with it.

Just found their site - I'll have him look into it.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the shotgun news spread really made these things catch on. Some people on random forums were complaining about the plastic hammer breaking at 4,000rds and a few people had the lowers split after a few thousand rounds, but hell as long as your not staking your life on it who cares at this price point.

Links to reported failures?

Where can you get a complete lower with parts kit (installed) and adjustable stock set for $130? Answer you can't. As for broken hammers, I've seen metal ones with 2000 rounds break. My Plum Crazy has well over 6000 rounds of 22lr and 223 through it and shows no wear. I think the poly lowers you are referring to may be the bushmasters or some other manufacturers. I can't find any info on them failing. I may be wrong but mine has been top notch.

David, I've got one of the JSE uppers on my plum crazy. If you want to try mine you are more than welcome. I'm just down the street in Columbia.

Why would anyone pay the same for a plastic lower when they can get aluminum?

:shrug:

Why do you think Aluminum is inherently better?

You show me a complete assembled AL lower, with 5 position adjustable stock, FCG installed, shipped to my door for under $130 and I'll buy several of them, today.

David, I've got one of the JSE uppers on my plum crazy. If you want to try mine you are more than welcome. I'm just down the street in Columbia.

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that if I don't pull the trigger and order one for myself. I assume you did the 16" JSE upper and a 22lr conversion kit?

Why do you think Aluminum is inherently better?

You show me a complete assembled AL lower, with 5 position adjustable stock, FCG installed, shipped to my door for under $130 and I'll buy several of them, today.

Because I’m a Toolmaker by trade, gunsmith hobbyist, and have knowledge of both Metallurgy and plastic injection molding. Therefore I’m just asking the obvious.

I apologize if you feel I was calling your baby ugly; that was not my intent. That is why I asked a question instead of making a statement about metal vs. plastic in an AR lower. I did not know that you were buying a complete lower for $130.

I own an M&P15-22 that has a plastic lower. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable with something like that on my .308 Panther. But that’s just me; I could be wrong. :shrug:

Because I’m a Toolmaker by trade, gunsmith hobbyist, and have knowledge of both Metallurgy and plastic injection molding. Therefore I’m just asking the obvious.

Actually, what you asked was more of a cost/value question, with the assumption that at the same cost - aluminum is the better choice. Since you gave credentials - do you think aluminum is necessarily better? If you have knowledge of metallurgy and plastic injection molding, then it seems to me that you'd be aware making blanket statements about aluminum being better that plastic make a whole lot of assumptions about what aluminum was used, what plastic was used, the forging or machining process, actual part design and tolerances, final use loading and stresses of the part in question, and any number of other variables.

Granted, I'm no machinist, or expert - but it seems to me saying "aluminum i s better than plastic" just isn't so cut and dried.

I apologize if you feel I was calling your baby ugly; that was not my intent. That is why I asked a question instead of making a statement about metal vs. plastic in an AR lower. I did not know that you were buying a complete lower for $130.

You may have had a question mark there, but I think it's pretty clear you were making the statement/assumption that aluminum was better.

I own an M&P15-22 that has a plastic lower. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable with something like that on my .308 Panther. But that’s just me; I could be wrong. :D

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable? Ive seen first hand reports from someone who has been using one of these lowers with his .50 BMG - he is perfectly satisfied so far. My own admittedly limited reading and handling of the AR platform so far leads me to believe the lower is simply not seeing huge loads or stresses. An aluminum Kroger bag might be stronger than a plastic one, but if the plastic one gets the job done - especially at a lower price point - I don't have a problem with it.

Anyway - I'm still looking around and trying to decide what upper I want to put on mine. Decisions, decisions!

Actually, what you asked was more of a cost/value question, with the assumption that at the same cost - aluminum is the better choice. Since you gave credentials - do you think aluminum is necessarily better? If you have knowledge of metallurgy and plastic injection molding, then it seems to me that you'd be aware making blanket statements about aluminum being better that plastic make a whole lot of assumptions about what aluminum was used, what plastic was used, the forging or machining process, actual part design and tolerances, final use loading and stresses of the part in question, and any number of other variables.

Granted, I'm no machinist, or expert - but it seems to me saying "aluminum i s better than plastic" just isn't so cut and dried.

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable? Ive seen first hand reports from someone who has been using one of these lowers with his .50 BMG - he is perfectly satisfied so far. My own admittedly limited reading and handling of the AR platform so far leads me to believe the lower is simply not seeing huge loads or stresses. An aluminum Kroger bag might be stronger than a plastic one, but if the plastic one gets the job done - especially at a lower price point - I don't have a problem with it.

Anyway - I'm still looking around and trying to decide what upper I want to put on mine. Decisions, decisions!

:DGood grief man… I didn’t know I was making a statement that aluminum was better for everything.

Since you admittedly don’t have much experience with the AR platform or machining and I do; I’m not going to argue or try to help you understand. Your analogy on the Kroger bag is spot on. It also shows me that this would not be a good discussion to have with you. Carry on with what you read on the net…. :D

:death:Good grief man… I didn’t know I was making a statement that aluminum was better for everything.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you did know that.

Since you admittedly don’t have much experience with the AR platform or machining and I do; I’m not going to argue or try to help you understand. Your analogy on the Kroger bag is spot on. It also shows me that this would not be a good discussion to have with you. Carry on with what you read on the net…. :D

Top 20 Logical Fallacies - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe - Check out "Argument from Authority".

I always have to laugh when people claim to be the expert - but don't have the time to explain it, or that the other party can't "understand". If you can't answer the question - just say so. Then again - you didn't even pay enough attention to the thread to know were were talking about an assembled lower with stock when you chimed in, so I guess you're pretty much running par for the course :D

If you change your mind and feel like educating us simple folk - make sure you include some drawings. I like drawings, especially in crayon!