Odds of accidental discharge with a properly holstered Glock.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I recently received my HCP and since then have began carrying my Glock 27 on most legally permissible occasions. For the most part I have been carrying in a soft IWB holster tucked in the back of pants. I carry the gun with a round chambered.

Well I have began to deal with some flack from some loved ones over the fact I am carrying and how it is dangerous to carry especially with a round in the chamber in a Glock since it does have a traditional toggle safety. I think it is paranoia but just to make sure I am not crazy what are the real risk associated with carrying a properly holstered Glock with a round chambered?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rsgillmd

I can't quote you any numbers, but I would say extremely low. Just keep your finger off the trigger. My Sig doesn't have an external safety either, and I haven't shot myself. There are millions of Glock owners out there. If there was a real problem, you would have heard about it by now.

You are just asking for a case of Glock butt......

Ok, seriously, if a round is not in the chamber, might as well have a hammer. There are those that can draw, rack the slide, and fire very quickly, but that is a different situation, I believe that is people like the Israeli military and they practice that technique and it was due to subpar firearms at one point or something like that, I'm sure someone will chime in on all the facts. That is just my memory and hoping it serves me well.

With that said, I would prefer and suggest, a good quality strong side holster, with retention, whether it is Kydex or Leather that covers the trigger guard of your Glock or any other weapon. I don't prefer soft holsters, even though I do have one for my snubby. I don't carry it that often and when I do it is for those last second runs to the store. I prefer and suggest strong side, because I know exactly where my weapon is at all times, I practice with it there, and there is no trying to get to it, it is there, secure.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I currently have 5 holsters for the gun:

1) Bianchi canvas open carry with strap

2) Don Hume leather open carry

3) Blackhawk plastic SERPA style holster

4) Shoulder holster

5) Soft IWB

I have just been using the IWB alot recently because I have been carrying concealed for the most part.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
zero, until the carrier gets involved

- OS

See that was my thought and what I have been trying to express to them. I cant recall one single time that a Glock style pistol has went off accidentally when it was in a holster. The problem arises when people carry either loose or when they have the gun drawn.

You are just asking for a case of Glock butt......

Ok, seriously, if a round is not in the chamber, might as well have a hammer. There are those that can draw, rack the slide, and fire very quickly, but that is a different situation, I believe that is people like the Israeli military and they practice that technique and it was due to subpar firearms at one point or something like that, I'm sure someone will chime in on all the facts. That is just my memory and hoping it serves me well.

It was due to the diversity of small arms they had. To keep the manual of arms that would work for whatever sidearm a particular person had it was easier for them to train with an empty chamber full mag and keep everything the same despite different platforms.

That said, none of my weapons have ever discharged without someone pulling the trigger.

Mike

I personally do not believe there has ever been an accidental discharge from a Glock. Now if you want to talk neglegent discharge you have another story.

I currently have 5 holsters for the gun:

1) Bianchi canvas open carry with strap

2) Don Hume leather open carry

3) Blackhawk plastic SERPA style holster

4) Shoulder holster

5) Soft IWB

I have just been using the IWB alot recently because I have been carrying concealed for the most part.

Sell them all and buy an MTAC or Crossbreed holster. I'm looking at a Raven Concealment for OWB carry with my XD(m). Trying to decide which light to get first though.

I started carrying a S&W Sigma (similar to a Glock in fact S&W sued) 9mm when I was 18 in my car and on my person from time to time. I then bought a Glock 19 9mm when I was 20. I used QUALITY suede IWB holsters for quite some time when I concealed both holsters because they were comfortable. You put the gun in the holster and then the holster in your pants with those rigs. Wear a good leather belt for the clip to hold on to. I always carried with a round chambered both in my car and on my person. The pistol isn't much good without a round chambered. I later on got a stiffer leather Galco holster for my Glock because those suede holsters do wear quicker. I got tired of carrying a gun IWB so after trying different guns now carry a snub nosed revolver in my pocket. IWB carry for me is uncomfortable in a car and I don't like taking those kind of holsters on and off.

Just make sure your holster covers your trigger and nothing gets in your holster. Go to a range or in the woods somewhere to try drawing and shooting. Set up some targets or 2 liter coke bottles. Drawing and shooting will make you more confident and get over that fear. I started when I was 18 in the woods at a sawdust pile.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Do your loved ones live in Memphis? Ask them would they rather you carry or be a statistic.

On another note definitely look at getting a better IWB holster by spring.

Yes these particular parties do. One even has a carry permit and a Glock but only carries on "special occasions" I think. As far as IWB I would like something better if I can carry in the same location (behind my wallet) and one that wont require be to go buy a whole new wardrobe to use it lol. I dont wear emo skinny jeans but I do tend to own pants/jeans/shorts that actually fit my waist so a bulky IWB wont fit.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp

Here's all sorts of Galco holsters to look at that fit your gun. These are quality holsters. Comp Tac is good too. IDPA shooters use them. De Santis is another one. Bianci makes nice holsters. You'll spend at least fifty bucks for a quality IWB holster.

A cool custom holster maker is Wild Bill's if you want to spend some money. NICE holsters and belts.

Yes these particular parties do. One even has a carry permit and a Glock but only carries on "special occasions" I think. As far as IWB I would like something better if I can carry in the same location (behind my wallet) and one that wont require be to go buy a whole new wardrobe to use it lol. I dont wear emo skinny jeans but I do tend to own pants/jeans/shorts that actually fit my waist so a bulky IWB wont fit.

I'm in the same boat myself. Personally I can't get comfortable with an IWB holster and I do like dressing my way mostly so I just bought different guns lol the only gun I will carry IWB is my Kel-Tec with a clip draw.

I will dress around my larger guns though.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I mean honestly carrying IWB in back right behind my wallet has actually been not too bad with the soft blackhawk-style IWB. I can even wear it with a long t-shirt and since my wallet already pushes the shirt out the gun does very little printing. I may just get a leather IWB in a similar design from a place like Galco.

It was due to the diversity of small arms they had. To keep the manual of arms that would work for whatever sidearm a particular person had it was easier for them to train with an empty chamber full mag and keep everything the same despite different platforms.

That said, none of my weapons have ever discharged without someone pulling the trigger.

Mike

There it is, I knew it was some issue with their equipment....that's what she said...that caused them to do this! Thanks for the clarification.

• Admin Team

Your firearm is just a single part of a larger weapon system that also includes the holster, the belt, your attire, accessories and ultimately the operator.

So often, people buy a really nice firearm, only to cheat on other parts of the system, which ultimately makes the whole weapon system much less reliable.

If you've made the decision to carry a gun, as each of us have, then you have to ask yourself daily when you strap on that weapon whether you are an asset to society or a liability. It's a huge responsibility to carry a weapon. My personal opinion is that if I am going to accept that responsibility, then I need to do so by being able to deploy it as effectively as my circumstances allow. My biggest issue with a soft holster is retention - there isn't one made that retains a weapon authoritatively. Right behind that is being able to reholster the weapon one handed, and being able to do so without looking at and fumbling with my holster.

A good holster and a good belt are two essential investments that any gun owner needs to make. Honestly, once you spend the money, you'll wonder how you lived without them before. They are worth every penny.

Right after that, you should invest in some good training. It's another part of the weapon system that once you go through it, you'll realize how badly you were cheating yourself and your loved ones before. The old saying is accurate that in a defensive situation, you won't rise to the occasion, you'll default to your level of training. You're carrying a gun to be able to defend yourself and your loved ones. I know that when I do the same, I want my entire system to function exacty like I need it to. As they say, if something goes wrong in a gunfight, you have the rest of your life to get it figured out.

Invest in a good holster and a good belt. It's worth it.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

MacGyver you raise a good point on ability to reholster. I have noticed the soft IWB is next to impossible to fully reholster the gun without removing the holster and then reinstalling the holster/gun set.

Ok. The simple answer is this: You do not hear this happening a lot. It happens quite rarely, and then it is media sensationalized.

This said, due to your knowledge of it being a possibility, and you being honestly concerned, means you are being wise. Seriously, you want to be safe. Means you are using your brain. Excellent. That is crucial.

Although I do not have a Glock, I do carry. And the no safety part of Glock carry simply means you have to be aware when drawing, holding, and holstering. Being aware means simply: Visually, and physically making sure there is nothing near the trigger which can cause the Glock to fire. When re-holstering do a visual and hand check to ensure there is nothing in the path of the firearm which could remotely catch the trigger. (If you watch the youtube of the officer who puts his Glock in his holster and it fires, you will notice he did not do a visual check, nor a hand check to ensure there was nothing near the Glock, as it was holstered.)

So. Get the proper holster, which protects the trigger, you can easily wear, easily quick draw, and easily holster. Then do your visual and physical check when you draw and holster, to doubly ensure you have no chance of discharge.

Be safe. And again, thank you for using your Primary Safety... Your brain.

• Admin Team
MacGyver you raise a good point on ability to reholster. I have noticed the soft IWB is next to impossible to fully reholster the gun without removing the holster and then reinstalling the holster/gun set.

You're right. Think forward to a potential scenario when you've had to employ that weapon, and the ability to reholster becomes really important. If you start fumbling with your holster/weapon the situation could change against you very quickly. What if you are hurt? What if law enforcement shows up? What if you have to aid someone else?

My first pistol was a Sig 230 for which I originally bought an Uncle Mikes holster. I was 22 years old, had a new permit, but had no idea how important the total system was to be able to safely carry the gun. Turns out I never carried that Sig in that rig. The gun fit the holster great. Only problem was it wouldn't stay put. Since I was new to carrying, I carried it around the house unloaded in the holster. I carried in the small of my back, would get up out of my chair, and my pistol would be in the chair as opposed to the holster. I couldn't get to where I felt the pistol was secure, so I never carried it in that holster. I learned quickly that a good holster is really important.

Same with a good belt. As much as you want that belt to hold your pants and pistol up without sagging, the other end of the spectrum is more important. If you have to deploy that weapon, you want your belt to actually hold your holster down in the same place while you draw. With a non-gun belt, if you have to draw in a hurry, you're likely to be up around your ribcage before your pistol finally clears the holster, assuming it clears the holster at all. Try it with am unloaded pistol (triple check) and a cheap holster/belt combo, and you'll find that if you try and draw quickly, more often than not, either the holster/belt hangs up and keeps you from drawing, or just goes comes out right along with the pistol. You don't want that happening in a fight.

I trust my life to good equipment. I recommend three manufacturers - all small shops.

1. Raven Concealment. Their Phantom Light Carrier holsters are the best of the best in my opinion for strong side OWB/IWB carry. They are kydex, allow me to carry a light on my pistol, and stay put.

2. DM Bullard - Leather Holsters and Belts - I've got two of his leather belts, and feel confident that they will last me the rest of my life. I wear a suit almost as often as I wear jeans, and they are great with either. I also really like his tuckable and dual tuck holsters for IWB carry. Again, they allow for one handed reholstering, and stay put.

3. ARES Gear - If I know that I'm going to get dirty or play rough, then their Ranger belt is as good as it gets. This belt is double thick 1.5 inch SCUBA webbing and absolutely does not move.

You definitely pay for good gear. But, you know that it's going to work when you need it, and you only have to buy it once. Good gear should last a long time.

And don't worry, we all need to hear this from time to time. Myself included. It's easy to think, "I just spent all this money on this pistol, I don't want to spend that much again on accessories." It's a weapon system, though. The pistol is only a part of it.

Case in point - the guys down at Hero Gear made me a great deal on a new Gen 4 Glock 19 earlier this week. Since that time, I've spent as much on three accessories that make me feel better about carrying that Glock - TruGLO TFO sights, a Surefire x300 light, and a Raven Concealment Phantom LC holster.

Edited by MacGyver

Guns and Ammo on Summer in Memphis has some nice holsters with a large selection. I bought my Galco leather ankle holster for my snub there. Also, Range USA in Bartlett has some nice holsters and has really nice helpful staff. They can probably set you up with a whole rig. I don't know what all Rangemaster in Memphis has but i'm sure they can do the same. Classic Arms on Dexter off Germantown Parkway has some holsters and if they don't have it they can order it. The people that work there are real nice.

There is another Guns and Ammo on Goodman Rd in Southaven but the holster selection is slim. They refer people to the Memphis store for holsters. There is a Gun Exchange on Goodman Rd in Olive Branch and the guys there are real nice and can probably get you anything you want.

Bass Pro off Sycamore View and Interstate 40 has more of the hunting style holsters for field carry.