i don't know where to hunt saturday...

ok guys, i am super excited about muzzle loader hunting saturday! the problem is i don't know where to sit and hunt and i wanted some advice from people that know more than i do! my 2 favorite places are the opening of a big 10+ acre field that does typically hang out in and feed out of, i also have a small food plot there(this is the first year of the plot and it isn't growing great but they are eating what grows) my second choice is a small cleared out spot in the middle of the woods by a stream with a salt lick they tear up when i keep it with food and goodies. the small cleared out spot is where i shot a nice 8pt 2 years ago on opening muzzle loader. i was thinking the open field would be good because it is the prerut and i was thinking about trying to be where the does hang out and feed. what do you guys think?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just started seeing a few bucks chase does. The does are not having any of it but the bucks know it is almost time. If you are pretty certain that does will be feeding in the field then that is where I would set up. You might get a shot at a buck but if not you can always put some meat in the freezer.

that is kind of where i was leaning towards karhman. the stand at the open field is a double stand and isn't that comfortable, but the spot in the woods is where i use my climber stand, i can stay in that stand all day and be comfortable. i think i will try and find a soft seat to sit on and try for the open field and see what happens.....unless someone else thinks differently.....lol

Me personally I would hunt the woods especially if its well traveled. Up here in NE TN the bucks that I have seen are starting to get that feeling but are still hanging back in the woods and just not coming into the fields yet. But like Kahrman said meat in the freezer always works.

I would hunt the food sources at least that"s what I'm doing. The property I hunt on has several fields and I have only seen deer out there twice. I go into the woods especially were there are acorns and I see deer and deer sign all over the place.

My thought process isn't much I guess. I hunt were there is sign of deer and places were I see them all the time. I don't like hunting fields unless it has a food plot and even then I will move 50 to 60 yards into the woods near deer travel lanes. Some of the better deer I have killed were taken in the woods. They would hold up just in the wood line and wait for dark to enter the field. Also the acorn crop is really good this year so I think the deer will be spending more time in the woods than in fields, well at least around the areas I hunt.

well guys, i just talked with the guy that hunted that field last weekend with a bow. he said he saw a big buck(called him bullwinkle) coming in and out of the field but couldn't get a shot because he only had a bow. if he does that this weekend, i may be able to pop him with my ML! maybe, we will see...:)

I hunt the woods because of where Im at I have plenty of acorns there and there is a spring runnin one side and a field on the other side of the ridge with their bedding area about a hundred yards from my stand. I have plenty of sign there not many rubs but a well beaten path and scapes everywhere.

Depends. Where are your deer bedding? Do they travel the woods trail traveling between the field and the bedding area? Do you expect to have the right wind for both stands? How far apart are the stands?

Without more information, this is what I would recommend. I would sit on the open field at daybreak, IF I could get to it without bumping deer that would possibly be in the field before daylight. I would sit there till 10am. Then I would get down, take a bathroom break, get a bite to eat and go sit in the woods till around 3pm. Then I would go back and sit the field till dark. If the deer are still moving through the field at 10am, stay there. If not, hunt slowly to your woods stand and hunt the woods during mid day when deer are not likely to be running around in the field.

However, if the woods trail is between the bedding area and the field, I would stay in the woods for a chance to catch a big buck leaving the bedding area, that would not enter the field until after dark.

Ain't this the most fun????

i guess if i knew where the big bucks would always be, it would be called killing and not hunting! lol some bed by the field, but im pretty sure walking to my stand shouldn't be a problem as the path is on the outer edge of a wide field right by the stream. i think some use the woods path as a means to get from the bedding area to the large field.

Depends. Where are your deer bedding? Do they travel the woods trail traveling between the field and the bedding area? Do you expect to have the right wind for both stands? How far apart are the stands?

Without more information, this is what I would recommend. I would sit on the open field at daybreak, IF I could get to it without bumping deer that would possibly be in the field before daylight. I would sit there till 10am. Then I would get down, take a bathroom break, get a bite to eat and go sit in the woods till around 3pm. Then I would go back and sit the field till dark. If the deer are still moving through the field at 10am, stay there. If not, hunt slowly to your woods stand and hunt the woods during mid day when deer are not likely to be running around in the field.

However, if the woods trail is between the bedding area and the field, I would stay in the woods for a chance to catch a big buck leaving the bedding area, that would not enter the field until after dark.

Ain't this the most fun????

AIN'T IT !!!

Guest clutepc

I'm with the woods, all the deer I've been seeing and the doe I shot have spent a good bit of time in the acorns.

I've watched 2 doe and a small buck eat for over a hour the past 2 times I've been out.

Also saw a 4 and 8 point going through those areas my guess is looking for doe. they were looking for something they couldn't find by the looks of it..

I'm heading to some acreage I've never been to at 4:30 in the morning tomorrow. I just got permission to hunt it yesterday, and didn't have time to go take a peek around. I have an idea of where they bed, and the layout based on a conversation with the land owner, but talk about stabbing in the dark...... FUN!

Guest Spurhunter
I'm heading to some acreage I've never been to at 4:30 in the morning tomorrow. I just got permission to hunt it yesterday, and didn't have time to go take a peek around. I have an idea of where they bed, and the layout based on a conversation with the land owner, but talk about stabbing in the dark...... FUN!

I love a new place like that!!!!!!! Its like going on a first date!