Tell me about my Sig P220

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

I traded for this Sig P220 the other day it was a spur of the moment trade. I know nothing about Sigs, never owned or shot one till this one. Doing a little reading online and some people say some are better that others. This one shoots good and is pretty accurate. It has a little holster wear.

Also what is the age and value of one of these? Serial number is G 1547xx if it helps.

I hope I didn't get worked over too bad on the trade. NOT FOR SALE I like it.

Here are pics with all markings I could find. And as always Thanks for the info.

sigp220-3.jpg?t=1288644114

sigp220-2.jpg?t=1288644114

sigp220marks.jpg?t=1288644115

sigp220marks3.jpg?t=1288643905

sigp220marks2.jpg?t=1288643905

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the marking under the frame & the obvious engraving on the slide, you appear to have a west german made sig. These in good condition generally go for more than the US made counterparts as many believe the west german made sigs were built better and shoot better. There are 3 places in which you can find the serial but I forget on the top of my head, I would verify these 3 all matched to confirm you have an original made 220 and not a frankenstein. I'm not an expert on west german sigs value, especially the 220s but its probably worth around 450-600 depending on condition and whatnot. You may want to post your find over on sigforum - there may be something odd about this one that makes it a collector. If you like it, definitely hold on to it - 220s are good shooters.

Hope this helped (by the way the pic with the 3 emblems under the frame is to signify it was a german made sig, there is some other significance to the symbols themselves as to why they were chosen but I forget)

Guest malbolja

. There are 3 places in which you can find the serial

Barrel hood, on the slide in front of the breach and on the frame.

It's a fine pistol and should serve you well. I've owned German and US made Sigs and haven't had trouble with any (except the 1911). Yours has a stamped carbon steel slide with a stainless steel insert from the breachface back (the roll pins through the slide hold it in place). These are a little lighter and IMO better balanced than the newer, machined, all stainless slides. If you're handy Brownells sells an armorers DVD from CW Weapons & Shooting Accessories that is very well done (much better than the AGI video IMO) and shows a complete detail strip of the frame and slide and reassembly. The top 2 marks on the bottom of the slide are proof marks. IIRC the top mark signifies which proof house certified it and the second on is the Nitro proof mark. M&P9c is correct re the date codes, JH means it was built in 87. MecGar manufactured many of the factory magazines. I have also had very good luck with ACT brand 220 magazines. I haven't been keeping up with the price of used Sigs for a year or so but last I knew $500 is going rate for an average example with standard sights. Happy shooting!

Guest billwilly73

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I didn't know anything about Sigs when I traded. I almost passed on the deal because of it. The gun felt good in my hand so I took a chance. No regrets so far

Once again, many thanks.