Leather Holster care

Guest carbonarcher

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you all take care of your leather holsters?

What have you all found works best for you?

Thanks! :D

All the makers will generally tell you, do as little as possible.

Use NOTHING that will soften the leather.

Generally, just damp cloth and dry. Kiwi shoe polish is generally okay, neutral for protection, colored to touch up. Saddle soap is a pretty universal no no.

There are a couple of specialty (and expensive) products mentioned by a couple of makers.

- OS

Guest rsgillmd

Nothing. I got mine in black, and when I wear them, the holster is concealed. So it really doesn't matter what color it is or if it's faded. I haven't done anything, and haven't noticed any problems with fading/scratching.

Go with the manufacturers recommendations. Usually they do suggest a conditioner which will not soften leather and you should not use it often. I don't polish any of mine, but I do have a few specialty conditioners. As was said you don't want to soften the leather. Leather is like skin, dirt and salt will rob it of its flexibility. You will drastically shorten its life if you never do anything toit. It will end of cracking.

• 6 months later...
Guest DcPohl52

Yeah don't use leather conditioner that will soften the leather you will lose retention. Its good if that what you want as w/ my Galco N3 which when i bought it was impossibly to draw from without it getting hung up and re-holstering...forget about it it without 2 hands and looking at it. I got some really good conditioner soaked the holster up with it threw the gun in a plastic bag and put it in the holster overnight and the next day the retention was perfect and and can re-holster just fine now and love the holster now.

I make holsters, and I'd suggest you do as little as possible to a leather holster, other than use it as it was designed. If you get something on it, simply wipe it off. If you want to shine it up, use shoe polish and a shoe brush. Whoever made it likely already added wll the oils, sealers, etc. it will need for the life of the holster. If used regularly, a leather holster will not last forever, but a good one will last many years.