WWB 9mm 147gr JHP

A.J. Holst

From reading previous posts, it seems, as a rule that the above mentioned round is not the best choice for a handgun.

Best I can figure out from the other posts is: being a subsonic round, it may not expand properly coming out of a short pistol barrel.

What about through a carbine with a 16.5" barrel?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What about through a carbine with a 16.5" barrel?

Handgun rounds through carbine will get probably at least a 200 fps boost.

Some .357 mag rounds go more like 400 fps or more, guess everything depends on caliber and exact config of the round in question within that caliber.

Incidentally, testing I've seen indicates that 124 gr is sweetest weight for 9mm out of handgun, but I'm sure 147 gr will do the job.

- OS

• Admin Team

147gr 9mm has a bit of a stigma attached to it from its underperformance when it was first introduced and used in applications other than what it was intended for - which was subsonic SMg deployment. There are certain articles that you will stumble across on the net where the authors express their unmitigated hatred of the round.

That said, its early issues have been addressed, and modern 147gr stuff performs just fine. All I shoot is 147gr - primarily due to the improved recoil management in my case.

I've shot at least 2000 rounds of WWB 147 JHP this year out of multiple weapons, including a 1000 round weekend in CIS's defensive pistol class. I've yet to have an issue.