Don't hunt over a baited field in Sumner County

I grew up hunting in Arkansas and we also put corn out. We even started using timed feeders. It never made it any easier or gave us a huge advantage. Every buck we took was either crossing a gravel road or a powerline. They were also chasing does, though never were those does eating corn when the chase began. I won't discount that you may see more deer by corning, but it by no means makes it like shooting fish in barrel.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is kind of a dumb game reg. I have deer hunted over feeders and deer run by beagles quite a bit in Arkansas. With over populated deer, neither practice causes problems. The people and state want to cut down on car accidents with deer, but don't want hunters to use more tools to thin the herd out more. Beagles are a lot of fun too during the slow times of the day.

This is similar to the dumb game reg of hunters not able to use centerfire rifles to kill coyotes during bow/muzzleloader deer season or turkey season or WMA land (when not deer season). Again, there is a coyote overpopulation problem, why take away great tools from hunters that can help thin out coyotes? Coyotes are a big problem and, in my opinion, should be allowed to even be hunted at night.

TWRA can whine and cry all they want that coyote and hog hunters will use centerfire rifles to shoot deer out of season but that is pure garbage. Most poachers, at least where I'm from, use 22 rifles because they are quiet. Why would a legit coyote hunter, or hog hunter, spend all that money to go out and take a shot at a deer? TWRA is not made up of the brightest lightbulbs.

I had no idea that people could sit food out for deer to watch them. I thought that was illegal. TWRA needs to be consistent and cut that crap out too. Either let people bait them or not, no in between. Remember, this is the same agency that said people with handgun carry permits would poach deer out of season or while bow hunting. Give me a break!

Edited by 270win
Guest BEARMAN

This is similar to the dumb game reg of hunters not able to use centerfire rifles to kill coyotes during bow/muzzleloader deer season or turkey season or WMA land (when not deer season). Again, there is a coyote overpopulation problem, why take away great tools from hunters that can help thin out coyotes? Coyotes are a big problem and, in my opinion, should be allowed to even be hunted at night.

TWRA can whine and cry all they want that coyote and hog hunters will use centerfire rifles to shoot deer out of season but that is pure garbage. Most poachers, at least where I'm from, use 22 rifles because they are quiet. Why would a legit coyote hunter, or hog hunter, spend all that money to go out and take a shot at a deer? TWRA is not made up of the brightest lightbulbs.

I had no idea that people could sit food out for deer to watch them. I thought that was illegal. TWRA needs to be consistent and cut that crap out too. Either let people bait them or not, no in between. Remember, this is the same agency that said people with handgun carry permits would poach deer out of season or while bow hunting. Give me a break!

+1000.....THIS!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :rolleyes::up:

While I don't agree with many of the laws I do however think they are doing a great job. I mean TN deer were almost wiped out and the first season for whitetail wasn't until around the 60's I believe (Someone can correct me on this) and you could only harvest 1 deer. I have seen a lot of deer especially in the last 10 years so they and us have to be doing something right. I do agree some laws need to be tweaked or changed and that's were we should step in and voice or opinions. As far as the coyote hunting regs go I do agree they need to be changed but I have no problem calling one in and shooting him with a shotgun using #5 shot out to 50 yards. We can vent all day long but the laws will never be perfect. That's why as hunters we should get out and voice or concerns and opinions.

Guest mosinon

On the surface, I'd agree that there is no difference between hunting over bait and hunting over a planted field. Deer food is deer food right? Except people are lazy. It is a lot easier to go buy some corn or something and throw it on the ground than it is to spend time planting a field, maintaining it and so forth. So the difference isn't negligible. Plus if you're going to plant a field to attract deer it probably has to be your land.

On the other hand I see the hog hunting laws as completely stupid. Hogs are invasive (unlike coyotes) so why not open season all year round? The idea that people would poach deer if there was a permanent open season is certainly true. But people already poach deer. Poachers gonna poach. Why? They're criminals. In essence TN is trading deer lives for hog lives. A small percentage of the population would take deer illegally but that number probably wouldn't impact the sustainability of the population. Not getting rid of the higs probably hurts the bear population, the wolf population and so forth. SO by saving a few deer from poaching TN is suppressing the population of other animals.

Or, at least I think so, I could be, and probably am, wrong.

On the surface, I'd agree that there is no difference between hunting over bait and hunting over a planted field. Deer food is deer food right? Except people are lazy. It is a lot easier to go buy some corn or something and throw it on the ground than it is to spend time planting a field, maintaining it and so forth. So the difference isn't negligible. Plus if you're going to plant a field to attract deer it probably has to be your land.

On the other hand I see the hog hunting laws as completely stupid. Hogs are invasive (unlike coyotes) so why not open season all year round? The idea that people would poach deer if there was a permanent open season is certainly true. But people already poach deer. Poachers gonna poach. Why? They're criminals. In essence TN is trading deer lives for hog lives. A small percentage of the population would take deer illegally but that number probably wouldn't impact the sustainability of the population. Not getting rid of the higs probably hurts the bear population, the wolf population and so forth. SO by saving a few deer from poaching TN is suppressing the population of other animals.

Or, at least I think so, I could be, and probably am, wrong.

But the deer population probably brings in more money than populations of the other animals you mentioned. Again, sometimes TN hunting regs seem to be more of a money making venture than a common sense effort to preserve and control populations.

• 3 weeks later...