Advice on old rifle

Guest mds3d

Hey Guys,

I brought home a 1979 Glenfield Model 60 this past weekend. It needs some work, and I need some advice.

I am pretty sure it functions, but I am probably headed to the range tonight to test it out.

The stock is in good condition, and has very few (if any) scratches on it. However it does have quite a bit of dark build up from hand oil in a few places. What is the best way to get the stock clean of dirt and grime without completely refinishing?

Second, the outside of the barrel is starting to develop some rust spots. I was considering giving cold bluing a try, but I didn't know exactly which kit to buy. I noticed that there was a paste kit and a liquid kit a Bass Pro. Is one kit really easier/better than another?

Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me rephrase the second part. What I am really wanting to do, is remove the old rust and protect the barrel as much as possible from new rust. If cold bluing won't protect it, then I am not too concerned with the color of the barrel of this gun. If there is a better way to remove rust/protect, that is what I want.

+1 on the 000 steel wool and oil, remember to press lightly and go slowly, rinse the surface often as well so you can see how it's progressing. If at all possible I'd remove the barrled actionfrom the stock and give it a good soak in some kerosene, use a soft parts brush to remove as much crud as you can. Then afte you've removed the barrled action and allowed it to drain give the bore, bolt and chamber a good clean up and lubrication.

The stock will take a little bit of cleaning, how it look's depend's on you, I'd warm it up a bit with a heat lamp and give it a good wash with mixed simple green and a shop towel. An old toothbrush or two will be of great use to you on this clean up process. A useful information source is RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community! , you'll find diagram's and instructions for your rifle there.

Marlin has made millions of those model 60s. The biggest problem they have is that they are a pain to properly disassemble and clean. Fortunately, they go a pretty long time before enough crud builds up to cause a problem.

They have no collector value, so whatever type of finish you put on it won't hurt the value. If it were me, after cleaning it up and rust removal, I'd just use Dupli-Color Satin black engine paint. Completely disassemble the rifle before painting. Multiple, very light, almost transparent coats work best. Bake each coat at 300 degrees for 30 minutes and you'll have a nice, durable finish.

Thanks for the advice.

I have two questions so far.

Does the engine paint leave a strong smell in the house after baking? I've got to make sure any project I start doesn't irritate the Misses.

What kind of oil works best? Will any gun oil work, or should I use something specific?

YES, make sure the missus is gone shopping for a few hours on a day when you can leave the windows open to air out the kitchen. That accomplishes two things; 1) It gets most of the smell out of the house.

2) Gives you a cover story of letting fresh air in the house and any smells must have come from outside!

You can also buy a matte black spray on Krylon paint for Grills that work. Did a rifle outside and it's help up for years now.

I waited a day and buffed with a shop towel. The roughness was gone and a nice satin finish was left. These were more display long guns than shooters.

I too used paint which is the "wrong" thing to do to most people that re-do guns...but it has always worked for me, I use engine paint or wheel paint...there is a gunmetal finish in the wheel paint that is more charcoal grey metallic that looks real nice on a barrel...I just use *gasp* a wire wheel in my bench grinder to strip off the finish and any rust that makes the paint look rough. it hold up fine for me....cleaning solvents dont seem to affect it and it holds up good if you let it dry properly, I havent baked it as I typically do it at work, but I have used a propane torch like those little benzomatic ones to warm up the parts and also kinda lightly dust the barrel with heat while it's drying. i did this once to a very beat up break action gun and it held up even with me using the barrel to press down barbed wire strands while I crossed fields....i was trying to see if it would scratch off...and it didnt.