Is this normal?

Guest rsgillmd

Guest rsgillmd

One of the other threads that I just saw makes me want to ask a question.

I was sitting watching TV when someone knocked at my door. I'm a loner and was not expecting anyone. Then I heard the knock on the adjacent apartment.

I looked out and, keeping the door shut but pistol in my hand, asked who it was. There were two kids -- I saw the face of one. He was dressed in sweatshirt/pants and said he was inquiring if I was receiving the Commercial Appeal and if not, was I interested in subscribing.

I said no and he walked away. Looking out my bedroom window I saw him and a similarly dressed male walk towards the back of the apartment building -- possibly headed towards apartments on another street.

I have been approached before in NJ about newspaper subscriptions but those people already new we were not subscribers and they carried papers if we wanted to subscribe. These people were not carrying anything.

Is this normal for Memphis? Should I have called the non-emergency number of the police and reported it? I was hesitant to because I figured I was just being paranoid. We had break-ins about a year ago during the day in this apartment complex, and the behavior/dress of these people seemed strange, but I realize the economy is down and they may just be looking to earn some extra money.

So in the end, nothing exciting -- worst case scenario trouble was averted. My two questions:

1) Is this normal, or was I right to be suspicious

2) Would you have called the cops?

If this thread is not appropriate for this section, please feel free to move it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep the Oak Ridge PD and FD non-emergency numbers in my phone.

One day my wife and I was just out driving around Oak ridge (separate cars this time, had been GEO Caching) but together and it was still good day light. We where close together. Right near where we where going I spoted a guy in the bushes a a window of a building. I believe this was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon when the place was closed. He saw us and took off running. I got called my wife and told her DO NOT STOP keep driving since it was only about a half block from where we were going. Then I called Oak Ridge PD and reported what and where. I told them it looked very strange and thought they should have someone check it out. I gave them my contact information as well. For all I know it was legit but I did not believe it was. They guy saw our cars and took off running like a bat out of hell.

Come to think about it, it was about this time last year I believe cause I had just brought her the GPS and we had started GEO Caching. We really haven't been back GEO caching since either as I found GEO caching to much like snooping around and did not like that part of it.

I did not slop either by the way.

They should have had something to sign you up with. A clipboard usually. They COULD have had the papers just in their pockets and CA does hire young kids to sell them and they do go door to door in apartments heavily around here.

I'd have called them in just because I hate the CA.

Guest cajun600

No I don't think you're paranoid and this is why. (Copied my post from another forum I frequent regularly):

For the OP, exact same thing happened to me many years back. Was expecting some friends to come over on a weekday night for viewing of a sporting event (some guests were to be friends of friends so didn't know all of them). So get a knock on the door, look out the peep hole, see a male standing about 7-8 ft back from the door, open up door partially weak side is exposed, strong side hidden w/ weapon holstered. The following occurs,

Guy says, "Hey how's it going"

"Doing great, what's up," Me in a confused manner expecting to see a bunch of friends outside, but only this guy.

"Have you ever been to Europe?" Guy says, now my red alert kicks in and notice this guy is not a small dude ~6'1 230, probably about 24-26 yrs old, and by the way he stands, he knows how to handle himself.

"No, what can I help you with?" I retort

"I'm selling magazines to fund my school trip to Europe, was wondering if you would like to buy any. I've got a ton for sale..." Guy says. I look down while he talks and see nothing in his hands, no pamphlets, no brochures, paper or any other ordering supplies. I also realize he is wearing cargo shorts, hiked up Nike's, and a dirty white T-shirt (Not exactly sales-man presentable).

"I'm not interested, thanks," before I get to the word "not", weapon gets un-holstered, and safety gets turned to the off position, makes a loud "click" in the process (at least I thought so :P).

Guy either heard click or notices I'm doing something with my other arm and looks down towards the middle of the door with a bit of a confused look, "Oh ok, talk to you later"

Mind you, I didn't think too much of it except for the fact he didn't have anything in his hands, he was a big guy, and looked suspicious as hell (not from the apartment complex or anyone I had seen before, granted doesn't mean much). Thought for sure he was either casing or looking for a woman to overpower or something similar, or was just a bumbling idiot. I notified the management staff the next day and they told me they would send on to the PD, as it was definitely not legit (which coming from apt staff, doesn't mean much either). Either way, glad he decided to move on.