Where our tax money goes!

I was in our local store and was talking to the cashier about people abusing their food stamp cards.

During the conversation the cashier said their is a lady who regularly comes in and uses her food stamp card to buy cans of tuna for her cats. When asked about it the lady told the cashier that when they allow her to buy cat food on the food stamp card she will quit buying tuna for her cats. The lady makes sure everyone knows it too by laughing about it.

This is what upsets me so much.

Dolomite

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why a government program is always going to be rife with abuse and waste. A government solution is always a 'one-size fits all' solution. Everyone gets the same treatment. The rules are the same for everyone.

When a private charity helps someone, they have the right to stop helping someone who is abusing their generosity. Likewise, they have the right, and responsibility, of ensuring that their aid goes to people who not only need it, but deserve it. Lastly, a private charity can tailor their assistance to the person needing it. If they know the person has poor dietary habits, they can give the person healthy food directly instead of having that individual spend food stamp money on chips and coke.

Finally, a private charity is in the business of getting people OFF charity. Government has no such incentive. For them, the well is bottomless, so they have no incentive to control the costs or spending.

Call me cruel, but I firmly believe that requiring birth control implants as a condition of government assistance would be a great way to control costs. Not a solution, but it would certainly help!

Guest uofmeet

MY wife works for a grocery store. This lady came in with close to a $800 order. Five baskets full of stuff(and a lot of junk food) The lady that paid for it all was paying with food stamps. She said she has so much money on it she bought food for her whole family and still had like $800 left on it.

She tells me all the time people come in and pay with food stamps and then goes out and gets in their brand new Cadillac Escalade or whatever....

Guest KimberChick
MY wife works for a grocery store. This lady came in with close to a $800 order. Five baskets full of stuff(and a lot of junk food) The lady that paid for it all was paying with food stamps. She said she has so much money on it she bought food for her whole family and still had like $800 left on it.

She tells me all the time people come in and pay with food stamps and then goes out and gets in their brand new Cadillac Escalade or whatever....

Then they'd drive that Escalade home, drop the food, then come to the attorney I used to work for to attempt to file bankruptcy.

FWIW, i knew a graduate school student who decided to file to get food stamps. He got something like $67 bucks a month. He used to go to Schnucks and buy Sekisui sushi to go with it. It wasn't eliminated as a pre-prepared item for some reason, maybe because it was already assembled and brought in every day.

Folks in my hood that get stamps eat better than I do. The meat selection is wiped out on the third and fourth of each month, unless you need ground beef.

Your government charity at work, bribing votes with welfare. That's a perverted

definition of need. and they certainly don't DESERVE it. I get a little sarcastic

with the cashier when the person in front of me pays for her case of bottled water

with food stamps, and then steps out of her Kroger Scooter Store cart and walks out

the door.

definition of need. and they certainly don't DESERVE it. I get a little sarcastic

with the cashier when the person in front of me pays for her case of bottled water

with food stamps, and then steps out of her Kroger Scooter Store cart and waddles out

the door.

FTFY

Guest KimberChick

with food stamps, and then steps out of her Kroger Scooter Store cart and walks out

the door.

Sounds like politics in Memphis....it's also why, even if we consolidate city-county, very few jobs will be cut...like EBT cards, Memphis serves as a welfare jobs bank for the friends/family/churchmembers of politicans and division directors, lol. To keep those jobs, they keep voting in the people who let them skate.

Guest Armgdnman

Its a fundamental lack of pride.

It's one of the reasons my ex and I split up. She wanted to apply for food stamps simply because she could. (She was a bartender while she was going to school) Her parents told her to go for it on the basis of them being subject to a higher tax bracket. (they have more money than god) It enraged me! She didn't need it and if she did, I would have given her my last dime.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but I'd do everything in my power to prevent my daughter from going on food stamps.

To read these stories does nothing but make me shake my head and wonder when the good people of this country are going to just stand up.