TN. 39-17-1311

Guest Dusty Rhodes

Guest Dusty Rhodes

For anyone living in Kingsport, does this mean that one cannot carry a firearm while walking on the "green belt" along Reedy Creek?

I would call this a recreational area maintained by the municipality. If so, I have had my last sojourn to to walk the dog there.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusty I'm not familar with the area you are talking about, but by your own words you call it "recreational area maintained by the municipality". So I would say if you want to be on the safe side legally, not to carry.

The reason I say that is, there has been much debate about how T.C.A. 39-17-1311 is worded. In that it list weapon in T.C.A. 39-17-1302(a) and not handguns as not being permitted. However AG Opinion 07-148 Question & Answer 3 says that 39-17-1311 does prevent those with a HCP from carrying in those places.

There are bills in the legislature now to change this, but haven't heard much about them.

I am in the same situation here in Chattanooga when I walk my dog early every morning on the levee.I take the law at its word and only carry a knife with a blade less than 4 inches,hiking stick(4ft hickory sapling) and a cell phone.Oh yeah,the dog can be intimidating if he sees strangers.

Yep, the Greenbelt is a city park and off limits for handgun carry. It has also been a haven for perverts and wierdos of every stripe. I haven't heard of any incidents occuring there recently but over the years several attacks (mostly against lone women) have taken place. Too many places for "evil doers" to hide in the brush and jump out as you walk by.

Guest Dusty Rhodes

Wayne.....I take our dog down there sometimes, usually during the weeek when less crowded and I have often commented to my wife how many women there are there walking/jogging, and ALONE!!!

I just don't understand the logic, or lack thereof, to not allow anyone to protect themselves in an area like this.

Looks like I stick to the little 3 acre patch of woods behind the house.

I differ on the interpretation of 39-17-1311 based on the reference to prohibited weapons in 39-17-1302(a), which a handgun carry permit does not allow one to carry brass knucks and switchblades, or even long guns for that matter. A handgun is nowherere listed as a prohibited weapon. I don't think the legislature inserted 39-17-1302(a) without a reason and that was they didn't want 'prohibited' weapons in parks.

I do not carry openly for the world to see and feel pretty confident that i'd rather have my handgun with me at a park where i feel is completely legal.

Each person must make the decision when and how to carry. I trust my handgun much more to protect me than a 4 inch pocket knife.