ATTN Bartlett residents!

Vote against Emily Elliot for Alderman. She doesn't want you legally packing in the parks.

From Pravda:

Alderman's gun vote plays role in Bartlett board race » The Commercial Appeal

Alderman's gun vote plays role in Bartlett board race

Opponents cite Elliott's firearms-in-parks stand

Bartlett Alderman Emily Elliott figured she would become a political target when she took a stance against guns in the suburb's parks.

Her suspicions came true as both of her opponents in the Nov. 2 election -- Mark Barney and Paula Sedgwick -- say the alderman's vote drew them into the race.

Despite three aldermen facing re-election this year, all the attention from challengers is focused on Elliott, the Position 2 incumbent.

Unlike Position 1 Alderman W.C. "Bubba" Pleasant and Position 3 Alderman David Parsons, Elliott, a 55-year-old registered nurse and dermatology clinic supervisor, must campaign to earn a fourth 4-year term.

Barney, a political novice who has worked in sales for 30 years, and Sedgwick, a state Republican Party committeewoman, are trying to unseat Elliott.

While both challengers mentioned several issues, Elliott's lobbying for the city to prohibit handgun-carry-permit holders from bringing guns into Bartlett parks -- a highly emotional issue that faced the board a year ago -- drew the attention of both challengers. Elliott made the motion banning guns in parks but could not get a second, meaning Bartlett follows state law allowing guns.

Each challenger invoked support of the U.S. Constitution in their position.

"That really got me," Sedgwick said, adding that several family members are hunters and her husband is a National Rifle Association member.

"The situation narrowed down to the guns issue in the parks," Barney said of his decision. "That's been a pretty volatile issue."

Elliott stands by her vote, saying it wasn't against permit holders having guns but about having the weapons in city parks. She said the vote represented the position of her constituents.

"I heard from both sides of the issue, but I heard more from the citizens who did not want guns in the park," the incumbent said. "... I don't regret being the voice of the people who elected me."

She added that she supports the Constitution but noted that it also allows for free speech and different opinions.

Neither Barney nor Sedgwick has run for office in Bartlett before. Sedgwick was elected Republican state executive committeewoman this year. She has worked on a number of Republican candidate campaigns, including campaign manager for Bartlett Alderman Bobby Simmons' run for sheriff earlier this year.

Both challengers also mentioned that Elliott has been in office 12 years and it is time for a change.

"I believe the strength of the political system is the ability for more individuals to be involved, not fewer," said Barney, who says he's a registered Republican, but leans more to the tea party movement, including a role in the Mid-South Tea Party. "... We need more public servants, fewer politicians. I'm an advocate for term limits."

Sedgwick also noted the incumbent's tenure.

"I believe it is time for a new beginning," Sedgwick said. "She's a 12-year alderman, which is wonderful, and she needs to be commended for the service she's given the community.

"... I feel like this is a time when we need a change out here."

Elliott countered that her longevity on the board provides experience and knowledge of government operations. She said her service on most city commissions provides her with insight.

"I do have experience, particularly in the economic times we're in," Elliott said, adding that her experience as a nurse dealing with patients provides insights on listening and analyzing.

"Those skills help me to be a good alderman," she said.

-- Clay Bailey: 529-2393

RÉsumÉs

Mark Barney

EDUCATION: Bachelor of liberal studies, University of Memphis

FAMILY: Wife, Brenda; four sons

POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: First run for elected office

Emily Elliott

EDUCATION: Franciscan School of Nursing

OCCUPATION: Registered nurse and clinic supervisor with Mid-South Dermatology

FAMILY: Husband, Denis; two grown daughters

POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Seeking fourth term as Bartlett Position 2 alderman; first elected in 1998

Paula Sedgwick

EDUCATION: Two years at Shelby State Community College (now Southwest Tennessee Community College)

FAMILY: Husband, David; two grown sons and a daughter

POLITICAL EXPERIENCE: Elected GOP state executive committeewomen this summer

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Barney is a great guy. Not too many politicians I'd put go out of my way to voice my support for, but he is one of 'em. I think the Bartlett Police Association is backing him as well, if I heard correctly. I wasn't at the last BPA meeting, but the candidates were. From what I've heard, Emily Elliott beat around the bush on every question asked.

What's the deal with 2 Alderman hopefuls working in the funeral industry? One for a casket company and 1 for a vault company!

:poop: I dunno. Was kinda wondering that myself.

BTW, Larry Copeland seems like the best, by far, for Judge. Just my opinion, but I've seen him sit in Division I when Judge Marr was out, and he's a top notch dude. Impressive resume as well.

Guest uofmeet

Paula Sedgwic was at the polling location that I went to and I got to talk to her for a little bit before I went in. She said she was all for the second amendment amongst other things.