Considering an AR type rifle...need suggestions

Guest darkstar

Guest darkstar

OK

I'm considering purchasing an AR type rifle and would welcome any suggestions. I'd use it primarily for target / and as an addition to my various handguns for home defense. I don't feel comfortable buying components and building myself so I will be looking for a good quality complete weapon. While I like to buy quality firearms I don't need this to be a top of the line model with all the bells and whistles, but I do want a well made, good quality rifle. I know next to nothing about these types of firearms though I am familiar with a lot of the makers i.e. Bushmaster, Stag, Armalite, etc.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with some good suggestions I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking of getting this in 5.56 as this seems to have the most choices but am open to other calibers.

Also are there any things inherent with these types of firearms I need to know? For example I have read some things about having a chrome lined barrel as being a good idea.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you remember the early days of PCs that might help. Then you had Macintosh and IBM Compatible. Only thing was, IBM wasnt IBM compatible. Other than that, all the others were pretty interchangeable.

ARs work about like that. There are only a limited number of barrel makers out there. If you get a Rock River, a Bushmaster, an Armalite etc you will be getting one of those barrels because they all buy from the same X number of makers. Colt is the IBM of ARs, with some of their stuff not being compatible.

So it comes down to what features do you want. The options come down to: stock (adjustable vs fixed), barrel length, flat top vs carry handle, and the rest is mostly bells and whistles.

You mention 5.56 as a caliber. You probably mean/want .223 Remington. Consult the Ammo Oracle (google this) for an explanation of the differences, which escape me at 2AM but have to do with chamber size. You wont be seeing too much mil surp 5.56 for the near future.

For what you want, it sounds like a 16" carbine, maybe with flat top would do the job.

And surprisingly I know just the place to get one!

Guest ETS_Inc

Ian,

Give me a call when you can, and I'll see to it that you get set up with a great rifle, at a great price. Heck, I'll even take you to the range and teach you how to shoot it. (I know you Norwich types aren't use to using anything smaller than a 120mm main gun.)

Frank

Rabbi does indeed have probably what you want. However, If you want to handle a few different models with varying degrees of bells and whistles (not to mention price points!) go to Guns and Leather and try before you buy.

BTW - there isn't much to building one of these. I did it, just to try it, a few month's ago and was surprised at the ease and simplicity of the whole thing. You will end up spending about the same as a pre-built, but with a loss of satisfaction in knowing you built it.