Blackhawk front sight question

I know there are some gunsmiths here, so I'd like to pose a question to you. I broke the front sight off of my New Model SuperBlackhawk while trying to bend it, as it seems to have been mounted off center. Anyway, now I'm left with a sight rib on the front of the barrel. I think I'd like to mount a drift adjustable, dovetail front sight on it. Is there any way I can do this without a milling machine? Shoule I just take it somewhere? Are ther some other options I might have overlooked?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

Assuming all are the same....Mine is a 44. If there is a blade out there that you have in mind I would think this wouldn't be very hard at all. Any one with a mill should be able to do it. How the heck did you bend that thing? Did it brake off at the base and the ramp is still ok?

Yup. I just broke off the blade. I actually put it in a vice to bent it, because, as I said before, it wasn't lined up correctly. I bent it, shot it, bent it some more, shot it. I was pretty close, but the last time I bent it too far. All it would need it a dovetail slot in the rib, ramp, or whatever you call it. Midway and Brownell's both sell 3/8 dovetail sights. Is there a way to file a slot, or is paying someone to mill it my best option?

Guest GunTroll

One could file a dovetail slot if you had time and patience. Both Midway and Brownelss sells dovetail files. 60 and 65 degree. Perhaps you could find one locally as well. I had to file a dovetail slot for a project when I was a student. It isn't my preferred method these days! Getting your depth, width, and correct angle (60 or 65) for the sight/blade/post in question is very important. I like the term "light tight" for dovetail sights. Even cutting this on a mill will require file to fit. A dovetail endmill just speeds up the process. PM me sometime or call. I bet I can help you help yourself. You seem to be a do it yourself kind of guy.