Online vs In Store

Fyrguy

I've bought 1 gun off of Gunbroker and 1 gun from Bud's. I could find neither locally but would have preferred to buy them locally if available and at a comparable price. I'll gladly pay a little more from a local dealer but not if that price is considerably more than a price on the internet.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything I have bought over the last 6 years has been online. You can't beat selection or opportunity buys on used items. I still support my local FFL with the transfer fee he charges and by purchasing ammo and accessories. Really, transfers are a win for the local guy also. If the local guys margin is 15% on a $400.00 gun, he makes $60.00. His transfer fee to me is $25.00, almost half that on an item that he didn't have to tie up any capitol in. (Granted, this analogy doesn't quite work out that way on a more expensive item, like an assault rifle, but it is still $25.00 for 15 min of his time. Four transfers give him a $100 for that hour.) It also brings me into his store more often, and if he has something I like, it creates an additional sales opportunity for him.

I have seen some make the argument in this thread that if there is an issue, you have some additional recourse. To me, that doesn't hold a lot of water. On a new gun, the factory will be the ones who address the issue. If it is used, you are at the mercy of the dealer anyway. As far as being able to hold something in your hand before you buy, most (granted...not all) sellers offer a 3 day non-firing inspection period. Also, sellers (at least on gunbroker) tend to quickly reply to questions and send additional pics if you ask. If you know what you want, take the time to research and ask questions, you can come out of online purchases smelling like a rose.

You can't do direct distribution from off shore. Too expensive. The Chinese stuff is cheap because it crosses the ocean in bulk. It's a shame that Wall Street nearly destroyed US manufacturing, but US distribution will always thrive.

I would have to argue that the minimum wage (and now Health Care Law) and unions have had an equal if not bigger role in this than wall street.... just sayin'

I've never bought anything from a brick and mortar gun store. I've always found the best deals buying privately, at a gun show, or online. I am a repeat customer of Bud's. No pressure, and no misinformation from someone behind a counter who thinks they know far more than they actually do.

I work hard for the cash I choose to spend and that matters to me. I am sure many of you feel the same way. When it’s time to purchase, I already know what I want and what shopping online will cost me (Price/Shipping/Transfer/TIC). I research the best local price (multiple shops) and compare it to the best online price. Some may consider that window shopping. I consider it good consumer research. I do not go to a shop without the possibility I could make a local purchase, but I am not going to throw money away either.

This subject tends to devolve into Online = Bad and Local = Good.

I honestly don’t feel it’s my role to keep anyone in business. A good business model will do that for themselves. I understand that local shops are already behind the 8-ball due to the tax issues and I take that into consideration.

This is me and I will not question anyone choice to buy local or online.

As of today I have 1 local purchase and 2 online purchases.

Guest spoolie

Funny, I just had D&T order me a Smith revolver for the same price as bud's....oh my god, I had to wait 7 whole days to get it too....I almost died, bud's would have gotten it there in 2 days. And it keeps our money local and he can order any weapon that bud's carries.

Funny, I just had D&T order me a Smith revolver for the same price as bud's....oh my god, I had to wait 7 whole days to get it too....I almost died, bud's would have gotten it there in 2 days. And it keeps our money local and he can order any weapon that bud's carries.

Happy for you...

Its been going that way with brick'n'mortar music instrument stores for 20 or 30 years. A lot of cheapskate folk will try before buy at a local store, then order online. It isn't exactly the same situation as with gun stores. But the challenge with local music stores has at least two prongs--

1. A lot of local music stores are not especially good or offer especially good shopping experience or have especially good prices. So it is pretty easy to visit a local store and have a bad experience and get mad at the locals and order online out of spite as much as saving a few bucks.

2. Local stores can't stock enough merchandise variety, and why would a person ask a local store to special-order an item, when the person can just as easily special-order the item himself, and have the item delivered to his door?

There are analogies with guns stores, though the analogy is not perfect. For one thing, you don't need to go thru an FFL to buy a geetar.

For the most part, I don't think brick and mortar stores will go way. To use the music store comparison, there is a music store local to me that has ridiculously high prices, sometimes as much as literally double or triple what you can get items for elsewhere, but they still have a huge volume of business. Internet sales may hurt or put out of business some stores, but in general, some people will still buy locally. While some people care only about lowest price, some people would rather support local business, and then there are some people that won't go to the trouble of shopping around and will just buy at whatever location is most convenient to them.

Guest Lester Weevils
As far as being able to hold something in your hand before you buy, most (granted...not all) sellers offer a 3 day non-firing inspection period. Also, sellers (at least on gunbroker) tend to quickly reply to questions and send additional pics if you ask. If you know what you want, take the time to research and ask questions, you can come out of online purchases smelling like a rose.

All merchants must adapt to changing conditions. Conditions have always changed over the years.

It seems that many 'savvy' mom&pop stores now sell online. Maybe it gives mom&pop stores with online presence the ability to more-quickly turn over inventory that doesn't move fast enough locally. A business advantage they didn't have in the past.

If I were to buy a locally-hard-to-find piece from a mom&pop in Pennsylvania or Texas, I'd still be buying from a mom&pop, just not a local mom&pop.

But there are things about shopping locally and then buying online. I would never open a conventional music store, because their usage by many customers is as a "free demo and instruction site". The local store (unless it is a huge discount store with zero customer support, as Atlanta's old Rhythm City before sold to Guitar Center) CANNOT price compete with mass market shippers. But most musicians ain't gonna buy a $5000 keyboard or geetar before playing the dern thing. So a lot of folks play the $5500 model locally, and if they like it they buy the same thing for $5000 online from Sam Ash or Musicians Friend. Then the local store starts getting an attitude about being a free demo company and the salesmen start making wisecracks like, "If I let you play this keyboard, do you have enough money to buy it today?" Which just makes customers mad and worsens the situation.

Geetars and horns are a little different than more-consistent QC items like keyboards or sound equipment. Even if you know exactly what model geetar or horn you want to buy, there are good examples and there are lemons, and you can't tell the difference by looking at a picture.

There are analogies with guns. Ferinstance, I've read lots of nice things about Taurus PT92, and some pictures of PT92 look great. Have tried to talk myself into getting one on several occasions. But every time I actually hold one in hand, sometimes they look slightly rough, and sometimes they look real rough. With gun actually in hand I always decided if I can afford the PT92 I can afford to pay $100 more for a better-looking Beretta. Ain't saying anything bad about PT92. Just sayin that if pictures were all I could go by, I'd have bought some guns that later would be unhappy with.

I found a Spikes Tactical lower on Brownell's that I wanted for $89. Called around locally and found it about 45min away for $139. When I checked out at Brownell's the total was $107 by the time they add shipping and a few dollars for an FFL item fee. Picked it up yesterday from an FFL 15 minutes away and they added $30 even making it $137 (including transfer and background). I could have spent an extra hour driving and payed $13.36 for tax and bought local.:D If I had done the third grade math I would have gotten it locally.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I will buy from a local shop if the price isn't MSRP. I figure the shop has to make money so paying more for a firearm + tax and TICS isn't that big for me. I do buy firearms (cleaning supplies and stuff I need ASAP) from The Great Outdoor Store in Jackson at thier asking price because they do try to take care of thier regulars.

Now accessories is another story. There are some crazy deals out there.

I also shop at the GOS in Jackson and they indeed go well out of their way to take care of regular customers. I highly reccomend anyone close to check them out.

They never mark stuff at MSRP and then very seldom charge me what is marked. I dont ask, they just say "let me see what we have in it" and then give me a price that is always lower than what the item was marked.

I have no idea why they do that and even asked them once and all they said was "Well we just like you" I am sure not going to complain.:D

I have yet to buy a gun online, but I have nothing against the idea, I just have not crossed that bridge as of yet. Accessories are another story and I have bought plenty of those online.

All in all I would rather even be paying a little bit more to my local store for a firearm than ordering it online. I like the people there and the personal service they provide. Being able to handle something new is also a big plus to me.

Also pretty much everything I have bought I have used the lay away plan which GOS makes very flexible for me while an online dealer probably would not be able to do that. I have had GOS "hold" something for me for a few weeks with just a 20 dollar bill. That is personal service than the internet can just not provide.

But I am sure the time will come when there is something I just "have" to have and will have to buy it online in order to get it. I have seen some really good deals on Gun Broker and have been very tempted, it is indeed just a matter of time.:lol:

I do see online sales continuing to grow but do not see our brick and mortar stores leaving anytime soon, so long as they continue to provide good customer service they will be successful. There will also always be some folks who will never consider buying anything much less a firearm online, You know the type....kinda like me only different:D

Just as an added note, transferring in guns purchased online is a pretty lucrative business venture for some stores in my area. I had one transferred into Coal Creek Armory recently and they charge $35 for the service unless it is something they have in stock or can order easily, then they charge $50. I asked the fellow how many of these they do and he said they usually do dozens PER DAY. The thing to realize is that gun stores don't really make their money off of guns, but off of ammo, parts, accessories, repairs, etc (kind of like how theaters make their money off of concessions and not ticket sales). Big online sellers make their money by doing mass volume with small mark-ups over their wholesale price. When local dealers transfer them in, they make money for doing nothing more than some basic paperwork that they would have done anyhow if you bought it from their inventory. The transfer fee is pretty much in line with what their mark-up on guns in their inventory would have been, but they don't have to sit on the cost of inventory or pay any interest on credit used to buy inventory. Then the local shop also gets you in the door and the chance to sell you the ammo and accessories they really get their money on. Online sales will not put local shops out of business, it's just basically a different way for local shops to order their inventory. Besides, that is the nature of business and if a shop is not willing to adapt to the changing market or can't provide services that people want, they will go under. The reality is that online sales is here and the shops that find ways to use it to their benefit will find it to be a source of business while those that don't will likely suffer. It's not right or wrong; it's just business.

I think the general consensus here is that people prefer to buy locally if the shop provides the best price or good service that makes the extra money worth it to the buyer. I'm with you on that. However, like I said, some shops in my area simply don't want to provide any extra service and if you ask them to do any searching to find what you want, forget ever hearing back from them. If you are one of those folks who refuse to shop online, fine. It's your money and your choice. I value every dollar I have and when local shops don't offer a good value for my dollar, I will go elsewhere. Finally, any shop that discourages "window shopping" is a gun store that is doomed to fail. Window shopping is part of selling guns. One of the best shops in my area encourages window shopping and gives out free soda and coffee to customers encouraging them to hang out and look around. The key to successful business is getting the customer in the door. Until you have done that, you can't hope to ever sell them anything. The shops that alienate customers who just want to browse, ask questions, and handle the guns are turning away potential future customers. Shops that alienate customers who want to use their services to transfer in a firearm are turning away potential future customers.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Guest AmericanWorkMule

I bought a New Ruger SP101 from a local gun shop, Outpost Armory. It had severe problems so I went back nicely asking for help. Three of their people pretty much told me it wasn't their problem so go away.

They can KMA now.

The only problem is if you buy it online is if you have trouble with the gun, You alone have to get warranty service.

At least if you buy local the gun shop will help.

Guns are a highly subjective purchase. You want to touch them, handle them, and if you're smart, shoot them before you plunk down your hard-earned money on one. for that reason, I doubt that online sales will kill the gunshop storefront. Secondly, federal law ensures the existence of the storefront FFL. You need to have a FFL to ship that online purchase to. And ATF will not approve a FFL unless you have store hours as well as all applicable local permits and licenses.

Lastly, smart gunstores do not try to make too much profit on gun prices simply because there is too much competition there. Instead, they make their money on accessories. If you buy a pistol, you're gonna want a holster. If you buy the holster, you're gonna want some ammo. Etc.

Guns are a highly subjective purchase. You want to touch them, handle them, and if you're smart, shoot them before you plunk down your hard-earned money on one. for that reason, I doubt that online sales will kill the gunshop storefront. Secondly, federal law ensures the existence of the storefront FFL. You need to have a FFL to ship that online purchase to. And ATF will not approve a FFL unless you have store hours as well as all applicable local permits and licenses.

Lastly, smart gunstores do not try to make too much profit on gun prices simply because there is too much competition there. Instead, they make their money on accessories. If you buy a pistol, you're gonna want a holster. If you buy the holster, you're gonna want some ammo. Etc.

I have always thought it was strange for small gun shops to not sell online. Seems like a quick way to increase revenue.

I have always thought it was strange for small gun shops to not sell online. Seems like a quick way to increase revenue.

Back in the late '70's, a lot of very successful shops did a LOT of business by advertising in Shotgun News. If you look on GunBroker, you will see the same dynamic at work. Gun shops are using the internet as way to move merchandise a lot more quickly and reach out to specialty groups to find customers for hard-to-find items. Any gun shop that does not use internet marketing is cutting their revenue stream in half or worse.

WANT THE GOOD AND BAD PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING!!!!!!!!!!

Heres my 2 cents for what its worth.

In the long run i'd prefer buyers just coming in and checking out what we have in stock or letting us get what they need. We guarantee and warranty everything we sell. I think we have competitive prices, and actually will beat any other area brick and mortar store. I strive too have courteous customer service and a staff thats knowledgeable. Im a little guy thats been here almost 20 years. I have seen bigger larger stores come and go. So far im blessed I have survived so long. Im totally convinced that if the public continues to turn their backs on small buissiness and the mom and pop places they will be like the dinosaurs in the not too distant future. So im all about putting money back into the community where you live, work, and vote. Because if you dont what will happen then?

We do transfers for $25 plus the tics which makes it $35 total. Were glad and very happy to do them because we sell tons of stuff on the net ourselves. Including in that service is faxing/emailing our FFL to your dealer and making sure he gets it. All we ask is you stay in contact with us and the seller and prefer you get a tracking number from them so you know when the gun arrives. We dont open the packaging until your here to pick it up, that way it insures in your mind we didnt ... scratch, drop, or swap your gun. You can only imagine some of the guns we have gotten in and their conditions.

We see tons of transfers. Most of them run smooth as silk, however we have seen our share of issue as well. One in particular involved the gun being stolen when we ran the tics check, then the customer was completely "out" of pocket and had to sue the seller to recoup his funds. That took over a year after it was all said and done and had several Govt agencys involved including ATF.

The latest involves one were dealing with now. Customer ordered the gun, we faxed our FFL and the package came in, we opened it in front of the customer, and low and behold they shipped him the wrong gun... and it was a complete piece of ****. They sent his gun to a dealer in Alaska. Right now were going into the 4th week and were trying to help the customer all we can but our hands are just about tied. We shipped the gun that was shipped to us back, but still haven't seen his gun yet. To make matters worse I have about $15 in phone charges involved into talking to dealers in Ohio and Alaska now for the past month. So in this particular instance its been a nightmare. Btw, the original difference in cost of this seller buying the gun online vs from us was $23.... so ask yourself, is it worth it?

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER
my spelling sucks

I have ordered on line and in the store. i would rather deal with the store. Most of my on line purchases have been oddball stuff the dealer didn't even have a line on or could not compete with price wise. That being said I rarely walk out of a store without buying something.

Edited by R1100R
Guest TNTgill

I was shopping for a Kimber Ultra Carry a couple years back and knew exactly what I wanted and had handled this gun multiple times at gun shows. I lived in Knoxville at the time and one gun shop with a range would never give me the time of day when I went in to look and potentially buy. To even get a gun out of the case from them was about like pulling teeth. Some times when I would go in I would never get a hello or anything and would spend 45 minutes to an hour looking at guns through the case without an acknowledgement from the staff. When I called asking about transfer fees if I bought a gun online they told me it was $50 bucks since they could get it easily. When I asked what they could get the gun for it was 225 bucks over the online price. When I inquired why it would be so much higher they told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and the gun I asking for wasn't even on the market yet. Well I went to my local pawn shop and they did a transfer for $15 plus TICS. So I saved $200 on the gun plus ~$95 on taxes. I would go use there range but never buy there as I would hae to inconvience anyone working there. I will buy local as I have on many other purchases but will not give my hard earned money to people that treat customers like that. So in short its buyer beware....online can be great when dealing with difficult gun shops but keeping the money local is a good thing also.

• 3 months later...

AVOID BILL'S OUTPOST POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, NOT SO FRIENDLY STAFF, NEVER HAVE ANYTHING IN STOCK

Aaaah, it appears you have a problem with Bill, perhaps a dictated thread may be more "efficient" than several one liner posts?

Just saying. :rolleyes: