Argghhh. Please help. Rifle concern.

Guest hms4407

Guest hms4407

I just bought my first Muzzleloader. It is a CVA Wolf. I got it at walmart, I know, I know, shouldnt buy from china mart, and had no intentions to, but when the clerk said the front fiber optic sight was broke and they'd let me have it for $100, I couldnt resist. Who doesnt use a scope anyways.

The issue is this. I have never handled, shot or loaded a muzzleloader. I bought the Thompson Center shockwave bullets. They have the plastic yellow tip and a blue wad casing. The gun and bullets are 50 cal.

I went to load a bullet to get the feel of it, and it took a SERIOUS amount of pressure and force to ram the bullet down. And since I was practicing, it was even harder to push it out against the "grain".

Is this normal? Im scared that if it is sooo hard to load, will it come out when I pull the trigger or will it just blow up because of the tightness?

Thanks for anyone help!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

Did you clean it before you attempted to load it? Did you check the barrel for fouling or cosmoline before you attempted it?

Did you put a powder charge in first?

Will it not push out the breech if you remove the plug?

Lots of ??? I know!

Guest hms4407
Did you clean it before you attempted to load it? Did you check the barrel for fouling or cosmoline before you attempted it?

Did you put a powder charge in first?

Will it not push out the breech if you remove the plug?

Lots of ??? I know!

No, I didnt clean it first.

No I didnt put a powder charge in, I was just testing it out inside.

I didnt want to try and push it out the breach with the threads. I was scared I might mess up the threads.

How much pressure should it take to load a round in a normal muzzleloader? I mean:

A steady soft push, a hard steady push, an easy push, an easy tap tap tap, etc? Im lost

Guest Bronker

You won't hurt the threads, as that part of the breech is much wider than the bullet / sabot.

Take out the breech plug, and push the bullet through.

Then clean the crap out of it. I actually have begun to use good-old Simple Green and cloth patches to clean them. Works great.

To answer, I'm pretty sure the bullets you describe are the easy-glide version of the Shock Waves, and in a clean barrel, you should be able to push the bullet down the barrel with only the grip of one hand on the ramrod. In other words, it should take only mild to moderate push-pressure to seat it on the charge.

Are you sure you have .50 cal bullets, and not .54?

Guest Bronker

Then you should find a buddy who is well versed in smokepoles to go with you and teach you the basics. If you are not careful...yes you can screw things up royally:)

Guest hms4407
Then you should find a buddy who is well versed in smokepoles to go with you and teach you the basics. If you are not careful...yes you can screw things up royally:)

Thanks. I am getting with a buddy to sight it in as I bought a Nikon to go with it. He has an older muzzleloader, and knows about them a bit. Maybe the clean and lube will help it. Im sure they are 50 cal and not 54 cal.

And do you think I would admit if I were trying to stuff a .54 down a .50? LOL, but really, they are both 50 cal.

Thanks

Guest Bronker
...And do you think I would admit if I were trying to stuff a .54 down a .50? LOL, but really, they are both 50 cal...

Wouldn't even have thought it if somewhere, sometime, somehow...someone forced a .54 sabot down a .50 cal barrel!!!!!

:lol:

Good luck. Heck of a deal, so you can't go wrong.

Guest hms4407

I just cleaned the you know what out of it. I scrubbed the barrel like a french whore. I lightly oiled it, then wiped it out again. I will get drunk tomorrow, drunk enough that I am ten feet tall, load it, and hope that the bullet is not so tight in it that it explodes. Just kidding. I hope it works better now. I went through a half bottle of bore cleaner and a whole pack of swabs to get rid of the rust and grease. Im sure that was the issue.

Thanks

I've got one just like it. I love mine!!!! I shoot Aero Tip bullets in mine. They load pretty easily. Two 50 grain Triple Seven pellets and a 295 grain Aero Tip shoots a great group in mine. The removeable breech and the breakdown action makes the thing a cinch to clean. I do strongly advise you to thoroughly clean and oil it each time you shoot it, as soon as possible. Hot soapy dishwater is as good a cleaning solution as you will find. just run some dishwater in the sink, stick the end of the barrel in it, and scrub until clean. If it's' hot enough, it'll pretty well dry its self. You will also need to grease the threads of the breechplug before reassembly.

Guest buttonhook
I just bought my first Muzzleloader. It is a CVA Wolf. I got it at walmart, I know, I know, shouldnt buy from china mart, and had no intentions to, but when the clerk said the front fiber optic sight was broke and they'd let me have it for $100, I couldnt resist. Who doesnt use a scope anyways.

The issue is this. I have never handled, shot or loaded a muzzleloader. I bought the Thompson Center shockwave bullets. They have the plastic yellow tip and a blue wad casing. The gun and bullets are 50 cal.

I went to load a bullet to get the feel of it, and it took a SERIOUS amount of pressure and force to ram the bullet down. And since I was practicing, it was even harder to push it out against the "grain".

Is this normal? Im scared that if it is sooo hard to load, will it come out when I pull the trigger or will it just blow up because of the tightness?

Thanks for anyone help!

try using the powerbelt bullets...my CVA is also really hard to load with sabots....but the powerbelt load much easier and shoot great

+1 on the Powerbelts! Great bullets.

You need to do something the first time you shoot. Decide after shooting a few shots if you will stay with the 100 grain (2 pellets) or shoot Max load of 150 grains (3 pellets). You then need to load it and put your rod in the gun with it loaded. I just wiggle it around in the muzzle till it forms a line, some will want to etch it another way, but this will give you a LOADED GUN indicator. When she's not loaded, the line drops in the barrel. Loaded, you see the line right there at the muzzle, no looking in the bore or guessing.

You can leave these things loaded the entire season and it's legal to travel that way. I also know you can leave them for next season but don't recommend that.

Guest KimberChick

You need to do something the first time you shoot. Decide after shooting a few shots if you will stay with the 100 grain (2 pellets) or shoot Max load of 150 grains (3 pellets). You then need to load it and put your rod in the gun with it loaded. I just wiggle it around in the muzzle till it forms a line, some will want to etch it another way, but this will give you a LOADED GUN indicator. When she's not loaded, the line drops in the barrel. Loaded, you see the line right there at the muzzle, no looking in the bore or guessing.

^this. Excellent advice.

Guest hms4407
SO....how'd it go?

My Buddy is a TWRA agent. He was glad to shoot it. I kid you not....

$100 CVA (was $167 at walmart because front sight was broke)

$33 tASCO 3X9X40 SCOPE FROM WALMART.

The cheapest bullets, the 200 grain 11.97 bullets with a blue wad, triple 7 pellets (2 to equal 100gr), and after 8 shots we had it hitting 3" patterns at 100 yards. I am pretty proud of the set up.

In total (after sighting in) 15 rounds, 100 yds, $33 scope, $21 universal TC scope mounts, and the above mentioned powder and bullets.

15 shots 2 different people shooting, max moa was 5.15 inches. Best peron shot 4.1 inches at 100 yards with 9 shots.

That was me with it being first time with a muzzleloader. (I didnt count the third round that we did not clean the gun, and I heard a pop, jumped, and then it went bang and the bullet hit 10 feet in front of me. The hesitation fire scared the ^$%$ out of me!

Other than That, I dont think I will ever hunt with a centerfire again. I LOVE THIS CVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus I get to hunt earlier than gun hunters!