4 week 16 state road trip...

Guest nashvegas

Guest nashvegas

I have a long road tour coming up in Nov/Dec. Takes me to 16 states including 4 that do not recognize the TN HCP... notably, Illionois, California, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

I do not want to be on the road for a month unarmed. Do I just keep it in a lock-box in the above mentioned states and hope for the best?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the hangun locked up, and ammo separate.

For Cali:

Traveling with Firearms in California - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

HANDGUNS

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

I have a long road tour coming up in Nov/Dec. Takes me to 16 states including 4 that do not recognize the TN HCP... notably, Illonois, California, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

I do not want to be on the road for a month unarmed. Do I just keep it in a lock-box in the above mentioned states and hope for the best?

Just stay out of Chicago. I had a Legally Armed book that pretty well explained how to transport through some states and locking it in a containor and storing it in the trunk seemed to be the norm for most of them. Good thing you're not going to the New England states, the book said before you enter New Jersey, stop on the Delaware Bridge and throw all your firearms in the Deleware River.

Just stay out of Chicago. I had a Legally Armed book that pretty well explained how to transport through some states and locking it in a containor and storing it in the trunk seemed to be the norm for most of them. Good thing you're not going to the New England states, the book said before you enter New Jersey, stop on the Delaware Bridge and throw all your firearms in the Deleware River.

A better option is to make a U-turn as soon as possible

Thanks... Good resources there. Found a good discussion on Illinois on THR as well.

Well, don't get bent out of shape about all the ILL horror stories.

Remember that federal law allows you to take any of your weapons from one legal place to another on journeys anywhere in the USA. This includes even Chicago and NYC, whether they like to be included or not.

Unloaded, cased, ammo separate, etc, to cover ass everywhere.

- OS