You Memphis Metro People, Yes or not For Charter?

Guest uofmeet

The new Charter for a metro Goverment  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The new Charter for a metro Goverment

Guest KimberChick
They've moved enough already. Can't see them going through the expense. Just empty threats. Luttrell's pushing it, but it's up to the voting pool. I'm starting to think I'll never understand Luttrell.

ORLY? Halfpint and I attended one of his fundraising events where he very definitely said he would NOT support consolidation as proposed by the RG people. This in a room full of people who had donated gobs of cash to his campaign.... It was more of an observation mission than anything else for both of us and rather interesting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood what the benefit was to the people of Nashville and Davidson

County, except to benefit the government's consolidation of revenue. They claimed

less duplication of services and more streamlined government. I think the experiment

with the taxpayers' dollars failed. just gave the government a bigger pond to fish in.

In the case of Memphis/Shelby county this is strictly to keep Memphis afloat monitarily. After 20+ years of Herenton and his crowd the City goverment is beyond corrupt, inefficient, and the school system has gone to hell.

Consolidation would be the worst thing to ever happen to the people of Shelby and the best thing for Memphis.

Consolidation would be the worst thing to ever happen to the people of Shelby and the best thing for Memphis.

I know a ton of small business owners who, like myself, aren't retail and will move out of the county if this happens.

It's only going to hurt Shelby County if they do this. Luckily, most non-Memphis appear to see it as the power and money grab that it is...

Fred Smith said he is pulling out if it doesn't pass.......
FedEx won't be leaving anytime in the near future. KC hit the nail on the head about the employees. Many of the people I work with have no desire to go any farther than what they already have.
But at the same time, when he expands, he could choose to expand somewhere else and not in memphis like he has been.....
FedEx just recently acquired the ANG property. I've also seen plans for FedEx to add another sort building to the property, relocating several of the GSE lots, add additional parking for truck trailers, add more GSE equipment in general, building a walkway over Democrat, like the one over Tchulahoma, iirc, as well as several other things.

FedEx has also shut down several of their other hubs throughout the US which routed more freight to the Memphis hub. Some locations weren't shut down entirely but only work a few days out of the week and Memphis picks up the rest.

Fred Smith won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
ORLY? Halfpint and I attended one of his fundraising events where he very definitely said he would NOT support consolidation as proposed by the RG people. This in a room full of people who had donated gobs of cash to his campaign.... It was more of an observation mission than anything else for both of us and rather interesting.

I am under the impression that Luttrell was at one point was pro-consolidation (when he was Sheriff) and went anti-consolidation as he has made his shift to County Mayor.

Not watch'n what I was doing and hit "yes". Doh!!!

Absolutely against it. I like the idea of just having county government covering what's not incorporated by anyone, be it Memphis, Germantown, Bartlett, etc. How does a consoldidaiton of Memphis and County help Germantown, Bartlett, and Collierville? I think they all get the shaft, while Memphis gets all the benefit. Eventually the schools will be brought into this consolidation mess and then it's "Katy bar the door!". Memphis is well in it's way to being the Gary Indiana of the south. Might already be.

Guest jackdm3

Forgive me if I overlooked it, but when 2 become 1, who's the mayor?

And it was early in his running that he said he was for it and flipped. He was against guns in bars/restaurants. AC's on the "Mayors against guns" wagon. I would love to see Luttrell overturn Shelby County Gun Range if he's gonna keep the flip-flop thing going.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
Forgive me if I overlooked it, but when 2 become 1, who's the mayor?

And it was early in his running that he said he was for it and flipped. He was against guns in bars/restaurants. AC's on the "Mayors against guns" wagon. I would love to see Luttrell overturn Shelby County Gun Range if he's gonna keep the flip-flop thing going.

Yeah I wasnt sure when it took place I just knew my GF's dad who is on SCFD wouldnt vote for Luttrell because he expressed a desire to consolidate.

As someone who worked for FedEx for several years and in different capacities I can tell you straight up Fred is NOT leaving Memphis. He'd never have it as good as he does here anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what you all thought about calipari.:lol: I am sure that Arkansas would still let him lease that old National Guard base for free. I don't think that he will move, but he can do whatever he wants to do.

Guest jackdm3

On Luttrell: I'd hate to think that he didn't think it through enough to see that he might wind up out of his elected position, because surely everyone knows, if an election were required to choose from AC or Mark, AC wins everytime.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
That's what you all thought about calipari.:lol: I am sure that Arkansas would still let him lease that old National Guard base for free. I don't think that he will move, but he can do whatever he wants to do.

What base? Blytheville?

Yeah I wasnt sure when it took place I just knew my GF's dad who is on SCFD wouldnt vote for Luttrell because he expressed a desire to consolidate.

Yep. He's been wanting to give the county to the city for a LONG time now. Regardless of what he's actually said.

• Moderators

I was born in Osceola, graduated from HS in Gosnell (the little town right outside the base gate) and FedEx would want no part of that place. Blytheville and Gosnell are the two most cracked out, tweeker infested cesspools I have ever seen.

I would love to read all the details of this consolidation. I just moved from the city of Memphis to the county in July.

The proposed charter is on the commie appeal web site. Not that you'll find many answers in it. The same people that can't operate a city budget will control a larger budget. Taxes will be higher for all citizens of the "new government" in a short time. If it was a good idea it wouldn't be so hard to sell.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
I was born in Osceola, graduated from HS in Gosnell (the little town right outside the base gate) and FedEx would want no part of that place. Blytheville and Gosnell are the two most cracked out, tweeker infested cesspools I have ever seen.

Yeah but the SCCA sure loves all that concrete :popcorn: