Need advice from stamp collectors

kb4ns

I'm hoping that there are some members on here that also enjoy stamp collecting. My wife and I recently inherited a good size stamp collection. Most are post-1930 US stamps, although there are a good number of German and Italian stamps (including a lot of WWII era ones). What should I do with them? Neither the wife nor I have any interest in stamp collecting. Are they likely to increase in value substantially if I hold onto them? Should I sell them? If I sell them, how should I do it? One at a time, in groups, the entire collection? And where should I sell them? eBay, local collector, another website, or somewhere else?

I understand this question is likely much more complex than I'd like it to be, but any advice is greatly appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't go to a pawn shop and say is this worth anything. It burns me up to see people do that on Pawn Stars.

If someone took the time to collect them they are probably worth something.

If they are canceled, as in been mailed value goes down, unmailed value is better I believe. Condition and rarity are other things that lead to value.

As stated, you would need it appraised but I try to do some research on your own first.

If turns out to be valuable now, it is likely to increase, but only if you can keep it protected in a safe place.

Don't lick them.

That's all I got. I would imagine holding onto them for awhile, until the economy is moving up again, would be the best thing. I would guess that collecting and value is down at the moment, unless it is gold. Might be wrong on that, but that is a guess.

I've got a pretty large, but moderately sized compared to most, stamp collection. My Mom started my collection when I was born and turned it over when I was old enough to do it myself :)

It's kinda like my HUGE sports card collection.....that Ebay has ruined the value of.

I have everything from first day issued Elvis, mint sets, gold stamps - all with credentials, and more early 1900s 1 cent Franklin stamps then I can shake a stick at. They're not worth the sentimental value I have in them.

Not to say your collection isn't wroth anything though. Just saying that they're not worth what they were a few years ago.

Once rare and very collectible, now for sale all over Ebay :)

I've got a pretty large, but moderately sized compared to most, stamp collection. My Mom started my collection when I was born and turned it over when I was old enough to do it myself :wall:

It's kinda like my HUGE sports card collection.....that Ebay has ruined the value of.

I have everything from first day issued Elvis, mint sets, gold stamps - all with credentials, and more early 1900s 1 cent Franklin stamps then I can shake a stick at. They're not worth the sentimental value I have in them.

Not to say your collection isn't wroth anything though. Just saying that they're not worth what they were a few years ago.

Once rare and very collectible, now for sale all over Ebay :)

+1

I figured that out too when I inherited my granpa's collection. I have some 1800's too that aren't worth squat. oh well.

Guest guardlobo

I've collected for years and values are definitely down right now.

Most used stamps are worth 2-5 cents and I can get US stamps back to the late 1930's for face value.

However, there are usually a few in every collection that are worth a good bit more.

If you want to send a few pics to me, I will try to give more specific help.

I would hold onto them until the economy improves since sales of most unnecessary items are down right now.

I appreciate it guys. Kinda what I figured. I think I'll sit on 'em for a while. The US ones are all in "American Heirloom Collection" binders and they take up a good bit of space, but I'll find somewhere in the house to keep them for the time being.

I pulled out the box most of mine are in and this was the first one I came to...

1048035356_auZY5-L-2.jpg

It is a first day issued 1987 William Faulkner stamp with 22K gold replica. It was only available for one day.

I even have the original cardboard envelope it was mailed in.

It's not exactly the oldest or rarest...but it's just to give you an idea of worthiness...

Writer Author - WILLIAM FAULKNER - 22K Gold FDC Stamp - eBay (item 170550545483 end time Oct-16-10 03:55:54 PDT)

:)