Need some opinions for some research

mav

Hey guys. I was wondering if you could offer some opinions and/or suggestions on a rifle. I just got into firearms in mid-2009. So far, the majority of my purchases have been handguns. Since July of 2009 I have purchased:

FNP-9

FNP-45

FNH Five-Seven

Kimber Tactical II HD

Kimber Ultra Raptor II

FNH SLP Mark 1 (x 2)

H&K USP 40

Ruger Mark III Hunter

Sig Sauer P226 X5 L1

Wilson CQB

Nighthawk Custom T3

Glock 34

and a Springfield Profesisonal.

It has been an enjoyable experience learning to shoot and improving my ability. It has also been incredibly expensive.

When I first got into shooting I would read some article or hear from word of mouth about such and such gun being really good. Well, I would buy the gun and start shooting it. As my knowledge (which is still very meager) increased and my ability improved, I started realizing what I did and did not like in handguns. In my quest of finding a gun that satisfied my desire of feeling this way and shooting that way, I started by some high end handguns. Overkill? Perhaps, but I do enjoy shooting them. Granted there is a learning process, but if I would have bought the higher end guns first, I would have saved myself a lot of money.

In short, I do not want to repeat the process I went through with handguns when I get into long guns. I was wondering if you guys wouldn't mind make some suggestions on long guns that I can do some research. Your help is appreciated.

Parameters:

Rifle cost: $3 - 3.5k max

Use: SD, competition, target shooting, hunting (don't know if they make an all-in-one type gun, but it would be nice if someone does)

I know the "hunting" is vague, but for this exercise lets just say that deer would be the largest game that would be hunted.

Thanks again.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had $3,500 to play with and was just getting into rifles I would get an AR of some sort. Some kind of .308 battle rifle. I would personally get a M1A, but check out FAL's, PTR91's, and FN FNAR's too. And the a Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

*Prices from budsgunshop.com on 13 October 2010*

Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine= $930.00

Springfield Loaded M1A Stainless= $1601.00

Remington 700 SPS Tactical= $557.00

Total= $3,088

With these guns you pretty much have your bases covered on anything you want to do with a rifle. And you still have $400 to start putting accessories on them.

It would be difficult to find one rifle to do it all. Maybe a semi 308?

I would go with an AR and a bolt action rifle. AR will cover SD and competition. Bolt action will cover target and hunting. Your budget would cover both with the optics. Maybe save some for a shotgun! Shotgun is an excellent SD choice.

Good Luck !

If I had $3,500 to play with and was just getting into rifles I would get an AR of some sort. Some kind of .308 battle rifle. I would personally get a M1A, but check out FAL's, PTR91's, and FN FNAR's too. And the a Remington 700 SPS Tactical.

Total= $3,088

With these guns you pretty much have your bases covered on anything you want to do with a rifle. And you still have $400 to start putting accessories on them.

Oh yea, do this ^^^ That's definitely a great list.

Guest guardlobo

I would recommend an AR type 308/7.62 NATO

A DPMS with a 20" barrel is a good choice. There are a variety of options available and you should be able to get one between $1200 and $2000 depending on the features you choose.

Guest PatriotCSA

Total= $3,088

I second this list. When I read the OP's desire, first two rifles that popped into my mind were the M1A and a Rem 700. Throwing a good 5.56 shooter in there as he did definitely doesn't hurt if you've got the money for it.

Edited by PatriotCSA
typo
Guest Lester Weevils

I'm ignorant of firearms. Got into pistols and have purchased a few rifles.

Maybe preferences will change, but I still enjoy pistol shooting better.

First rifle was a bolt-action Remington "target" 541T heavy barrel with a pretty nice scope. Bench shooting for accuracy seemed boring to me, though maybe eventually it may seem more interesting. Standing up firing pistol was more interesting. That 541T + big scope is a relatively heavy weapon, front-heavy, and I can't shoot it very well standing position. Arms get too tired and I can't hold it on target worth beans (from standing position).

So for my interests am more interested in a rifle that is light enough to shoot halfway decently from standing position, just because bench shooting feels more like a lab experiment than recreation.

Though a .223 AR some folks say is a little weak for humanely taking deer (and some folks say the opposite). A .223 16" barrel AR is relatively light and relatively accurate, and easy to get somewhere in the vicinity of a target from standing position.

I don't have a .223 AR, but bought an STG 556 bullpup that is in the same ballpark of rifle. I like the STG good enough, but got a relatively inexpensive Colt AR 22, and think the user-experience with that AR 22 is possibly more ergonomic than the bullpup. So sometime might get a .223 AR.

You could buy pretty deluxe and get both a .22 AR (Colt, S&W, Sig, whatever) and a .223 AR and set em up almost identical, and probably stay below $2000. Or maybe just get a relatively inexpensive .22 AR to get your feet wet? If you took a liking to the ergonomics of the platform, there are many calibers available.

If you turn out more interested in bench shooting, if that isn't "boring to do", then the answer might be way different for bench guns.

Guest FiddleDog

Have you considered a Kriss Vector? Sweet little carbine. Definately sexy...probably worthless for hunting...but still. What is/are your main intended use(s)? Hunting, Long distance target shooting, or s/h-defense?

Edited by FiddleDog

I appreciate the comments folks. While I was driving home from work I was thinking about this topic. I came to the realization that I will probably need several rifles. One rifle that did everything probably wouldn't be all that outstanding in all the categories I mentioned. I also thought about ammo cost. 308 is a heck of a lot more that 223, so that eliminates a 308 as my first rifle since I came to the conclusion that I intend this rifle to be primarily for sporting purposes. Comparing it to handgun calibers, .45 is my favorite caliber, but also the most expensive and the least shot.

So, I have it boiled down to a 223 as my first rifle. I have looked at a SCAR, which I think is pretty cool. Don't know much about them, except for the coolness factor. A dealer I know keeps telling me to get a POF. I looked at their website, but I am not all that familiar with them. Any comments?

Have you considered a Kriss Vector? Sweet little carbine. Definately sexy...probably worthless for hunting...but still. What is/are your main intended use(s)? Hunting, Long distance target shooting, or s/h-defense?

Very cool, thanks for the link. However, I think I would rather have a PS-90 SBR. I have almost bought one on several occasions.

Thanks again for the comments. Thanks for the PM Warbird.

Total= $3,088

Or you have the funds left to buy a Ruger 10/22 or two and a BOATLOAD of ammo.

Oh man, that is sweet. I had decided on a Scar, but after doing some research on what you posted, it is now a toss up. I just contacted my dealer and asked him to add a price quote on the LWRC as well.

Thanks for posting the link to Gunslingers. I have been to his website several times. He has some fantastic stuff. However, we have a new gun shop in Chattanooga, Shooter's Depot, and I really like them. They have given me some really good deals in the past. They gave me a great price on the Springfield Professional. I want them to really succeed because we are really limited on gun stores in Chattanooga. I am trying to put all my purchases (outside of ammo) with them if their price is reasonable.

I have to admit that I was torn between which dealer to work with on this decision. I like both Shooter's and Joe up at Hero-Gear. Joe sold me my T3. After much deliberation, Shooter's won out because of the local thing. However, if I decide I want the LWRC and Shooter's can't get it for me, then I will probably drive up to Winchester and have Joe order me one.

Anyway, thanks again for the link. That is bad a$$. Once again, I would like to thank everyone who posted and offered some suggestions. You all gave me a lot to think about, and I appreciate it. I am still very new to firearms, and don't know my butt from a whole in the ground when it comes to them.

Oh, by the way, I am not wealthy by any means. I have a decent paying job, I save a lot (or I did up to this last year), I'm not married, and I do not have any kids. I don't remember who it was that told me this, but I do remember it distinctly. "Eric, make sure you buy all your toys before you get married." Seemed like good advice to me.

Great advice. Please grace those of us, married(divorced) with kids, with some pictures of what we should have bought before. Don't rule out the Bushmaster ACR. But any AR platform can switch between 5.56 & 6.8SPC. Good Luck:)

You will absolutely love that rifle, I have a nice .556 that I built myself last year but I am considering getting one myself at some point. I am all for supporting local gun shops and if the one you are getting your Pro through gives you a good deal, outstanding!!

Great advice. Please grace those of us, married(divorced) with kids, with some pictures of what we should have bought before. Don't rule out the Bushmaster ACR. But any AR platform can switch between 5.56 & 6.8SPC. Good Luck:)

Bushmaster just recalled the ACR FWIW.