New member in Hendersonville seeking advice

Guest Jo7hs2

My name is Josh, and I've lived in Hendersonville for a little over a year now. I grew up mostly in a rural part of Maryland (less rural now) and moved here for work. Since it looks like I'll be here for a while, I'm trying to settle in a bit.

A number of years ago I decided was interested in hunting, but because I wasn't planning on staying in Alabama (was there for school) and wasn't sure where I would end up, and because I was occupied with other hobbies, I put it off. Now, I have the time and stability, so I'm looking to get started.

Here's the problem... I don't own, and have never fired, a firearm. My mother was a strict no-guns in the home type (she was held at gunpoint while pregnant with me), and a number of years in dorms and moving between states for school meant that it was inconvienient at best. Sure, I shot plenty of pellet guns as a kid, and was pretty proficient with the rifle and handgun varieties. I also have some archery exerience, but mostly with what amount to slightly more than toy bows. I haven't used either in probably 8 or 9 years.

Here's the bigger problem... I've having trouble finding a good, very safety conscious method to get an introduction to firearms prior to even considering hunting and taking the Hunter Education Course, which I figure assumesat least some familiarity. The NRA doesn't have any basic rifle orientation classes scheduled within a few hundred miles, and I haven't seen a ton of alternatives, excepting one paid program at a store in Murfreesboro. What I'm looking for is a basic introduction to rifle safety, operation, cleaning, marksmanship, etc... What I'm trying to avoid is walking cold into gun ownership (I'm not all that interested in archery at the moment). I'm a big proponent of hands-on visual learning when it comes to safety and things of serious importance, and years of formal education have taught me most important skills are hard to learn in a book.

Does anybody have any advice for a formal or informal way for me to get the experience and skills I am looking for?

Thanks for having me!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not take an HCP course? $60 bucks at Guns N Leather up in Greenbrier (about 20 minutes from us)

They will go over the basics, from safety - to laws, then you can shoot with their firearms (you pay for your own ammo ofcourse) Not only will it go over quite a bit of info, an instructor will also be on hand the first time you shoot! Safe and Effective in my opinion.

And if you enjoy it as much as most of us do, you just got your HCP Cert. Head to the DMV and get your actual Permit!

I'm going up to the range on Friday afternoon/evening .... You are more than happy to come along if you'd like. I live in Hendersonville, but my office is in Goodlettsville. I can help go over the basics with you, and get you up to snuff on a few things. Hoping to have a .22 by that point (assuming I find what I am looking for) which would be great for you in learning due to the low recoil factor. Otherwise, I have my P238 and .45 Kimber :)

Hmmm... I hadn't considered an HCP class. Would the transition from a handgun to a rifle be fairly straightforward and as easy as the opposite, or would I be better off starting with the style what I expect to purchase first? Does it matter?

I should also mention that I'm mostly interested in hog and possibly deer hunting. And, I should mention that while I've never been hunting before, I am versed in off trail navigation and wilderness safety, by virtue of my major hobby, nature photography. For the three years I lived in Alabama I spent many a weekend off trail in the Sipsey Wilderness, and I've kept up with it here in TN.

Edited by Jo7hs2

First, welcome.

I haven't hunted in years. But I think you're on the right track, looking for someone to "take you under their wing," so to speak. I'm a little distant from you, but it appears that some folks near you are coming to your aid.

As far as handgun vs. long gun: the basics in safety apply with any firearm. What you learn from one, you can use or adapt with the other. Spend some time with folks who know their firearms and are safe. One other thought: I used to sit around the old country store and listen to my elders. Old country stores might be hard to come by, but gun shops and gun smiths would be a good place to find that "elder" advice, it would seem.

Good luck.

...I think you're on the right track, looking for someone to "take you under their wing," so to speak. I'm a little distant from you, but it appears that some folks near you are coming to your aid.

As far as handgun vs. long gun: the basics in safety apply with any firearm. What you learn from one, you can use or adapt with the other. Spend some time with folks who know their firearms and are safe. One other thought: I used to sit around the old country store and listen to my elders. Old country stores might be hard to come by, but gun shops and gun smiths would be a good place to find that "elder" advice, it would seem.

Good luck.

+1 and welcome!

I'm curious... When it comes to hunting, is it be better to start small and move up (animal wise), or should you just go for what you are most interested in first? At least, in my case where I'm looking at ultimately hunting hog and maybe deer?

Edited by Jo7hs2

Josh, welcome to the site. As you can see there are plenty of folks here willing to help you get pointed in the right direction. As far as hunting, I'm kind of in the same boat, as I will be getting my first real hunt in this season. I am starting with deer and don't think it will be a problem. Actually, it may be an advantage since it's quite a large target. I will have an experienced hunter to help me gut it, etc. so I am not worried. Go for what interests you if you can find a guide/mentor. If you can't get a schedule with one of the other folks that matches yours, give me a shout and I will see if I can help out.

Based on something mentioned in a PM about recoil, I did a little more research. On reading how and why .22LR firearms are traditionally used for training, I'm somewhat concerned about developing a flinching habit by moving to a .30-06 or .308 too quickly. I have always had a particularly exaggerated startle reflex, and it has gotten worse with age. I mean, I jump when somebody knocks on my office door at work, with it open. :(

Considering that, I'm wondering if I might be better off getting an inexpensive .22LR bolt action and running a few month's worth of rounds through it, before even considering anything larger. I'm in no rush to start hunting, since I want to do this right, and a .22 would have the added benefit of being allowed at more ranges nearby, and being a lot cheaper to operate for somebody with untested aim. Then, maybe in a few months, I'd get something more powerful.

I'd probably be comfortable just getting one and heading to the range with it if accompanied by an experienced shooter, considering the lower expense.

What do you think?

Here's the bigger problem... I've having trouble finding a good, very safety conscious method to get an introduction to firearms prior to even considering hunting and taking the Hunter Education Course, which I figure assumes at least some familiarity.

Welcome Josh. I agree with the previous posts about getting a mentor.

Regarding the Hunter Education course, don't be afraid to just sign up for the course. You have to have it anyway to get a license since you were born after 1969. The state offers study material, etc. in preparation for the test. I sat though it with my son several years ago and it starts with the basics and moves on from there. Most of the students are young so it's not fast paced and very basic. Based on my son's class it doesn't assume any firearms knowledge. Honestly I don't think you would have any trouble.

You will have to do some actual shooting on the test day but depending on where you take it, you might be just shooting a pellet gun. At most it will be a .22 rifle.

Good luck!

Based on something mentioned in a PM about recoil, I did a little more research. On reading how and why .22LR firearms are traditionally used for training, I'm somewhat concerned about developing a flinching habit by moving to a .30-06 or .308 too quickly. I have always had a particularly exaggerated startle reflex, and it has gotten worse with age. I mean, I jump when somebody knocks on my office door at work, with it open. :(

Considering that, I'm wondering if I might be better off getting an inexpensive .22LR bolt action and running a few month's worth of rounds through it, before even considering anything larger. I'm in no rush to start hunting, since I want to do this right, and a .22 would have the added benefit of being allowed at more ranges nearby, and being a lot cheaper to operate for somebody with untested aim. Then, maybe in a few months, I'd get something more powerful.

I'd probably be comfortable just getting one and heading to the range with it if accompanied by an experienced shooter, considering the lower expense.

What do you think?

A .22 LR is an EXCELLENT starting rifle, in my humble opinion. Cheap to shoot while practicing/training, and LOADS of fun.

And don't forget that a bazillion squirrels and rabbits have been taken with the lowly .22 --- growing up, we "supplemented" our table meat with wild game (and it was usually squirrels and rabbits). And by "supplemented," I mean that's basically the meat we ate. (We actually "supplemented" with pork. I didn't eat my first steak until I was a junior in high school, and then it was a cheap, stringy cut from our local burger joint. Took me several months to find and afford a good steak; until then, I couldn't see the attraction for beef.)

Find a decent (or good) .22 and you will keep it, even after getting a larger caliber rifle. They are FUN, son.

Okay, I think I'm going to proceed with getting an inexpensive but acceptable .22, and asking if someone will join me at a range once I do, just so I don't make a fool of myself.

Then, while I spend a few weekends learning to shoot, I'll arrange for and take the Hunter Education Course, to get that out of the way. Then, I'll assess my needs in terms of what I want to hunt (I'd say my interests are hog, turkey, and deer in that order, maybe also some smaller mammals) first, and then pick out a firearm that suits the activity, and spend some time using it.

Then I'll worry about what season it is and finding somebody to help me learn to hunt.

Thanks for all the advice!

Then, while I spend a few weekends learning to shoot, I'll arrange for and take the Hunter Education Course, to get that out of the way.

Just as a word of warning, I'm thinking the availability of class is getting scarce due to the time of the year. I did see something on their website that might be your best option right now since you were also looking for someone to mentor you on the actual hunting aspect. I copied this from the TWRA website.

TWRA Apprentice Permit Hunter Education Exempt (Type 012)

In an effort to introduce new hunters to the sport, we have developed a new type of hunting permit designed especially for people who may wish to sample the pleasures of Tennessee’s many hunting opportunities.

The Agency’s Apprentice Permit will provide a one-time exemption from Tennessee’s Hunter Education requirements for anyone ten years of age or older for a period of one year from the date of purchase. The permit may only be purchased once during the lifetime of the hunter.

Potential hunters (born on or after January 1, 1969) who have not completed the state’s usually mandatory Hunter Education course may purchase the type 012 permit for $11. This permit allows the holder to hunt in Tennessee for one year from the date of purchase without having to complete the Hunter Education course. The hunter must also possess all appropriate licenses and permits required of Hunter Education certified hunters.

Hunters purchasing the Apprentice Permit must be accompanied by a person 21 years of age or older who is a hunter education graduate or is exempt from the hunter education requirements (born prior to 1969). This person must remain in a position to take immediate control of the hunting device.

The Apprentice Hunting Permit is valid only in Tennessee and will not exempt people hunting outside Tennessee from that state’s hunter education requirements. However, out-of-state hunters coming to Tennessee to hunt may purchase the Apprentice Hunting Permit one time only.

Okay, I think I'm going to proceed with getting an inexpensive but acceptable .22, and asking if someone will join me at a range once I do, just so I don't make a fool of myself.

Then, while I spend a few weekends learning to shoot, I'll arrange for and take the Hunter Education Course, to get that out of the way. Then, I'll assess my needs in terms of what I want to hunt (I'd say my interests are hog, turkey, and deer in that order, maybe also some smaller mammals) first, and then pick out a firearm that suits the activity, and spend some time using it.

Then I'll worry about what season it is and finding somebody to help me learn to hunt.

Thanks for all the advice!

That offer in the pm I sent still stands, I can bring some .22 rifles so you can see what kind of rifle you like.

I ended up getting a .22LR bolt action this weekend, and just got back from the range. Everything went well. I think I'm going to spent a few more weekends shooting at the range before I decide what to do next, beyond trying to catch the next hunters Ed class. I'm fine with missing this hunting season if it might mean better seasons in the future, so I'm not going to panic if I can't get a class immediately. And, of course, if I really got anxious there is the apprentice option.

I will however, continue to solicit advice and will try to find a mentor for hunting.

Thanks for all the advice! The .22 was totally the way to go, since I jumped about a foot the first time a bigger rifle in an adjacent lane opened up. Even after an hour and a half, I was still flinching, but it was getting better. The .22 didn't phase me at all.

Edited by Jo7hs2