Coyotes

Went deer hunting this morning, and while unloading my 4-wheeler, the land owner came out of his house and stared talking to me. He started complaining about the noise the coyotes have been making all night long. While we were standing in the dark at about 6am this morning, about a half dozen (at least it sounded like it) cut loose with some howling and some of the most god aweful "yipping" I've ever heard. The land owner said Dave, I don't care what you do , who you bring with you...but I want those Coyotes gone! Now what do I do....I ain't that good at yote dog hunting.....I guess this old dawg has to hone up some calling skills!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could always take me i'm up for calling in some yotes. I went Monday called one in shot him with a shotgun using #5 shot at around 43 yards he hit the ground got back up and ran off in the thicket but we could not find him. I thought he was closer but I was pushing the shotguns range, I was using my 870 should have used the stoeger then he would have died right there. That stoger has a dead coyote choke and with #5 shot I can put around 20 or so pellets on a 10 inch circle at 50 yards, but I wanted to kill one with my 870. Can't wait to use rifles or T shot again. I went this morning didn't see any yotes but I did see 3 bucks a 3 pointer, 5 pointer and a 6 or 7 pointer. They where only 60 yards out and the 3 pointer walked up 20 yards from us.

I live in Murfreesboro also and anytime you want to go you just let me know. I will do my best to call one up for you or heck anyone. I love calling them, yeah shooting them is fun to but calling them in close is awesome nothing like it. I guess I like the fast pace of it. Call for 20 or 30 minutes then pick up and move and repeat the same process.

I've called a couple in the past, but I think it was more by accident. I had one within 5 yards of me the other day while deer hunting, but he left nothing but "dust in the wind" we he heard my safety "click off". He was about the biggest and grayest yote I've ever seen. I've never heard them make the "yip'n" noise like they were this morning! They were all doing it like they were being beat with a stick or kill'n something!

WD-40, sounds like you hit the jackpot! Sure wish I had that scenario here in the Murfreesboro area. Was chatting with a couple at the Lascassas Fish Fry, just outside downtown metropolitan Lascassas last Saturday. He raises beef cattle, and has a pretty good size spread out that way. Says he has coyotes out there, but when I hinted I'd be glad to come out there and help him out with those yotes, he never offered an invitation. I did leave a business card as I left, and told him if he ever needed any help to let me know.

So, who knows... maybe he will invite me out one of these days. He doesn't know me, so he might be afraid that I might shoot and hit one of his cattle. One can always hope! Right?

I've run into that here too. Alot of farmers complain about the deer and coyotes, but they end the conversation the same..."well, we really don't allow hunting". I even had one guy tell me he was loosing lambs and chickens to coyotes, and ask if there was a way to get rid of the coyotes, and I said yeah, I'll hunt then. He said no, his wife don't like hunting and he asked if there was any other way to get rid of them. I said "yeah, get rid of the lambs and chickens, and the coyotes will leave". He pretty much didn't like my answer....so be it!

Guest adamoxtwo
I live in Murfreesboro also and anytime you want to go you just let me know. I will do my best to call one up for you or heck anyone. I love calling them, yeah shooting them is fun to but calling them in close is awesome nothing like it. I guess I like the fast pace of it. Call for 20 or 30 minutes then pick up and move and repeat the same process.

I live in Adams (off exit 11 on 24) and last year a pack of Coyotes surrounded some kids in the neighborhood and their dog broke it up. The dog was killed and the kids got away shaken up but unharmed. These Coyotes are still out there as we hear them screaming at night weekly. If you are interested send me a PM and you can call them bastards in I have an itch to smoke a puppy or two. Got a tree stand and a blind on the 40 acres. I saw one in the field I was hunting in here last week and that was a shock, because I have never seen them out there before. The only problem I have is I have no clue on called them.

I live in Adams (off exit 11 on 24) and last year a pack of Coyotes surrounded some kids in the neighborhood and their dog broke it up. The dog was killed and the kids got away shaken up but unharmed. These Coyotes are still out there as we hear them screaming at night weekly. If you are interested send me a PM and you can call them bastards in I have an itch to smoke a puppy or two. Got a tree stand and a blind on the 40 acres. I saw one in the field I was hunting in here last week and that was a shock, because I have never seen them out there before. The only problem I have is I have no clue on called them.

Heck yeah we will try and make it happen, would love to try and call one in for you.

101, thanks, I'll take you up on that invitation, and i appreciate it very much. I'm available pretty much any time as I'm somewhat semi-retired. I've got a "spitfire" and some mouth calls, a MoJo Critter and Wiesel ball, rifles, shotguns, dove blinds and even a pop up blind! I'm looking forward to it. I've done quite a bit of research and studied lots of videos, and it looks like the "team" concept works better. You just say when,,, except for tomorrow afternoon, as I have a commitment I can't break from 5 to 7 PM. It's a benefit for a friend dying ( given 4 months about 2 months ago) from pancreatic cancer. You just say when. cjwaa1@msn.com

How far are you moving when you pull up stakes? Say you call 20 min. and nothing. Where are you moving to, other side of the hill or getting in your truck and heading down the road a few miles. I've got a good visible area where I can see 3 or 400 yards on one side of a hill, then if I walk over to the other side of the hill I can see the same in just the opposite direction. Would you call both sides, or if you call on one and nothing it's likely you'll have no luck on the other either?

Is late afternoon a good time? Have you ever downloaded mp3 sounds and had luck with them? I rigged up a caller like Varmint Al uses, but didn't really think his medley of calls was very good. I don't think our yotes are going to know what a jackrabbit sounds like, for example.

There are a TON of yotes in Montgomery Co. I don't know anything about hunting them. Saw a pair of them trying to get themselves a turkey when I was out deer hunting. Came face to face with them no more than 15 yards, no time to even think about shooting one before they were gone.

How far are you moving when you pull up stakes? Say you call 20 min. and nothing. Where are you moving to, other side of the hill or getting in your truck and heading down the road a few miles. I've got a good visible area where I can see 3 or 400 yards on one side of a hill, then if I walk over to the other side of the hill I can see the same in just the opposite direction. Would you call both sides, or if you call on one and nothing it's likely you'll have no luck on the other either?

Is late afternoon a good time? Have you ever downloaded mp3 sounds and had luck with them? I rigged up a caller like Varmint Al uses, but didn't really think his medley of calls was very good. I don't think our yotes are going to know what a jackrabbit sounds like, for example.

Moving depends on several things for me. First if the wind is blowing I may call in 2 or 3 different places, the wind will carry your sound just sometimes not were you want it to go. Also on how much land you can hunt on that particular track. I have 200 acres out in Milton and I will call in 2 or 3 different spots and have good luck doing so. If nothing I move to another property and start the calling all over again. I do use MP3's here are some websites that I use, besides my foxpro sounds. I like to hunt in the mornings, I try and get setup 30 or so minutes after daylight this gives the coyotes plenty of time to get back their dens from hunting the area. Coyotes will feel comfortable going back just after daylight since they were there not that long ago. As for evening the only downside is I have called and called until legal shooting hours were over only to get up and pack everything up and the coyote decides to come in after dark and I get busted. Coyotes are smart and can become call shy. They will associate your calls with you and may not come into those sounds for a long time, thats why I try and switch up sounds to kinda confuse them.

MS Custom Calls MP3 List

D3 Game Calls and Accessories

Coyote Calling with Free MP3 Sounds

Edited by Hunting101