Kahr PM9 Reliability

gnmwilliams

I know we have a few threads discussing different aspects of Kahr's but I couldn't find one specifically talking about problems with reliability. I've noticed people talking about problems with things such as reassembly, FTF's, and other assorted issues with early model PM9's. I'm basically wondering if newer models have had these problems worked out or if some people just got some bad runs from the factory? I currently have a Kel-tec PF9 but am unhappy with the trigger pull and am looking ino getting a Kahr PM9. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No issues with my Kahr's at all. PM9, PM40, P380, CW45. The CW45 would sometimes drop the mag on recoil but a new mag catch fixes that. I haven't heard any bad things about models being produced in the past year or two.

Guest Lester Weevils

My P9 didn't seem to need a break-in period. Ran a couple of mags of FMJ, then said what the heck and tried JHP, and it didn't mind those either.

Had at least 500 rounds thru it. Maybe quite a bit more. Haven't been counting. New, the trigger was good for a double action. Long but smooth. But I ain't very good with double-action triggers. Have learned to shoot it somewhat better now. The trigger seems better now than when new, but it may just be my perception rather than the trigger actually smoothing up even more.

Had one Federal FMJ squib load that went pfft rather than bang. Bullet made it out the barrel but didn't work the slide. I'd blame that on a bad round.

It has had one misfeed, on a Corbon 115gr +P JHP. Out of about 50 Corbons tested. Have shot lots of Ranier 124gr JHP, XTP 124gr JHP and Remington 124gr Golden Saber JHP with no misfeeds. Dunno if maybe it doesn't always like Corbon as much as the other bullet shapes, or if it was just a random occurrence.

The PM9 manual has an extra warning on reassembly to make sure that a little spring is the correct location when inserting the slide stop. The P9 is no problem disassembly, cleaning, or reassembly.

My PM9 has been reliable. Make sure to polish the feedramp and keep it clean. The PM9 wasn't intended to take all kinds of abuse so don't put it through it. I keep it clean.

Out of curiosity I stopped cleaning and shot about ~450 rounds of dirty WWB before I started seeing side effects. At that point one of my mags wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round, so even then not a critical malfunction.

I very much enjoy shooting mine and am comfortable having to depend on it in a critical situation.

The PM's definitely require a break in period. Kahr says 200 rds minimum. It's a small weapon and the tolerances are pretty tight, so it probably does need the break in period.

Does Kahr make some bad guns? Of course. Everybody does. That's why so many gun forums are popular...lol.

Guest Travtastik

I have a PM40 that I had a issues with at first. The slide would lock back after every shot. I had a gun smith at the range look at it and he showed me what was wrong. I dunno if it came from the factory or if someone at the store had taken it down and reinstalled it wrong. I have had no problems since.

Guest drv2fst

I have a P9 and a PM9. Both are very reliable, much more concealable, and much more accurate than my larger Glocks. They definitely need a good breaking in period. But after that they work very well. My only problem with them is that my thumb sometimes hits the mag release button and drops the mag. It's rare but does happen. I guess I need more practice with it and a better grip to eliminate that issue.

Guest Bronker
Break it in, keep it clean and it will run like a champ for you. :up:

The KahrMan hath spoken.

Done.

:D

(my wife's PM9 had its fair share of hiccups early. 300-400 rds into it, it's flawless now.)

I have had a PM9 for three years. Mine had to go back to the factory once. It just wouldn't break in, Kahr replaced some parts, polished the ramp and it has been fine since and I have three manufacturer's rounds that I have put over 100 rounds each through to keep it qualified.

I think it's worth any pain you may possibly encounter to get one right since there is nothing in the form factor that matches in size, weight, trigger, and ergonomics in that price range (6-700). That said I don't carry mine much. I find a 13 ounce J Frame with CT grips more to my pocket carry liking.

Guest Aces&8s

I have a question regarding the "use the slide release / do not slingshot" method of chambering a round in the Kahr: what does one do in the event of a stoppage when you need the gun most? I mean, we all train with the "tap, rack, bang" drill to clear jams, misfires, etc. If you cannot reliably chamber a round in the Kahr using this method, where does that leave you in a jam? This, more than anything else, is the one reason why I have not seriously considered Kahrs in my search for carry guns.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've never had a failure to feed pulling the slide all the way back and releasing "quick" so it snaps forward about the same way as slide release. Not hanging onto the slide and riding it forward.

Though for loading I usually pull back, thumb up the slide lock, insert mag and use slide release. As the manual recommends. It seems very reliable locking back on last round, so mag change reloads have never needed a slingshot chambering.

Another possible malf that would require racking the slide would be failure to fire. Working the slide half-cocks the action. It is nominally double-action, but if you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang, you can't pull the trigger again until working the slide and half-cocking the striker.

I don't see it as a huge issue, because DA revolvers are about the only ones that do a really reliable second strike on fail to fire. And the DA revolvers to the second strike on a fresh round.

SA auto pistols would require racking the slide, just like with a Kahr. SA/DA like Beretta 92 or CZ75 could do a double-strike, but dunno if I'd waste the time trying that. Most of the times I've had a failure to fire on the first hammer strike, the dang bullet fails to fire on the second hammer strike also. So it is probably a waste of time doing anything other than racking the slide.

My only problem with them is that my thumb sometimes hits the mag release button and drops the mag. It's rare but does happen. I guess I need more practice with it and a better grip to eliminate that issue.

I had the same problem with my PM45, but I was not hitting the mag release button. At around 600 rounds, the mag started dropping out after each shot. I sent it back to Kahr, and they tweaked a couple of things - it's been flawless since. I think Kahrs are great guns, and I'm looking for a PM9.