Hunters vs. Non Hunters

The real problem these days with hunting is that it has become an expensive endeavorer as there is no place to hunt much anymore unless you own your land or want to pay $500+ just for the privilege to hunt on someone else's land.You can easily get a nice cut of meat at the grocer for $6 a pound.

For these reasons I can empathize fully with non-hunters simply because these days you have to really work hard for it.

......Unlike fishing where $50 will get you all the gear and licenses you need to feed you for life.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real problem these days with hunting is that it has become an expensive endeavorer as there is no place to hunt much anymore unless you own your land or want to pay $500+ just for the privilege to hunt on someone else's land.You can easily get a nice cut of meat at the grocer for $6 a pound.

For these reasons I can empathize fully with non-hunters simply because these days you have to really work hard for it.

......Unlike fishing where $50 will get you all the gear and licenses you need to feed you for life.

The working hard part makes it worth while when you harvest an animal. You should work hard when hunting it kinda gives respect to the animal.

Being honest with yourself about the place of man in the food chain....

We have binocular vision and canine teeth. A quick perusal of the flow chart of the Animal Kingdom will show that we are in fact, Omnivores. We share these traits with the bears, canines, raptors and cats. The placement of our eyes in the front of our heads makes us predators as well, uniquely suited to hunting instead of avoidance.

I grew up on a farm in West, TN, under the tutelage of an old Native American who would put anything in a pot to survive, if it was too big to fit, we cut it up into small enough pieces to make it so. Having known the cruel pinch of want in his early life, the woods and streams were simply part of the larder of existence. He was one of the kindest people I have ever been around, but, he had no compunction in taking the life of any animal to sustain or protect himself or his family. I would never have been able to explain to him the thought process of an anti-hunter, he just was not wired to understand such a thing. He hated cars for the fact that they "wasted" animals when they ran over them.

His favorite meal was squirrel brains and Bantam eggs. As a youth, I was taught to pick my shots, putting a ball though the rib cage, avoiding head and "shoulder" shots which ruined meat. If rabbit was on the menu, it came from a "gum" no need to waste expensive "shells" and take a chance on splitting a tooth on shot in the meat. He was in all things and opportunist, who managed his "space" to the benefit of his family. He had the single worst case of government hate I have ever seen, as he considered it to be parasitic in all it's forms, something which survived in his mind from his early years on a reservation in Oklahoma. His history gave him a perspective that none of us can possibly have, never having been forced to not hunt, nor be allowed the ability to own the tools to do such.

I love to hunt, in all it's various forms. I avail myself of all weapons system opportunities. I also love to just watch the outdoors, but like the fat tabby that lies at your feet on the patio, when the little bird lands, I lock on. Unlike the cat who will kill just for the act, I limit my actions to those which I consider necessary. granted, I do not have to hunt to eat, but like stropping a knife to keep it sharp, I hunt to satisfy a craving in my soul, and to stay in shape for the eventuality of having to.

As Jack London described, when I watch the fire at night, I feel the "Call of the Wild".

I understand where you are coming from.

I can shoot a criminal and go eat lunch; but I won’t kill an animal for sport. I don’t have anything against those that hunt for food and I know that we would have a problem if deer hunting were not allowed; it’s just not for me.

As far as hunting if I needed to eat; I’m a shooter not a hunter if an animal is near me and I have a rifle in my hands it doesn’t have much of a chance. But things are beyond out of control if that happens.

From an email I received a week ago:

Note to all hunters: This is from a San Francisco newspaper.

To all you hunter who kill animals for food, shame on you; you ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed.

So shame on all you bad hunters, you're hurting aminals. :(

I have never been hunting or through the safety course. I have been trying to get a few people I work with to go through the course with me where I'm not the only adult in a class with a bunch of 10-year olds. :lol:

I do wish people would actually look at where their food comes from, it just didn't suddenly appear in the freezer section at the store out of no where. IMO because of this lack of understanding the farms and hunting land is being replace with overpriced houses and shopping malls.

I like to fish but have no use for hunting.

Went when I was a kid with my dad squirrel, rabbit, dove, duck, deer, etc.

By the time I was 13 or so, saw no use in it for me and didn't want to go again. Plus alot of hunters I have been around have been worthless trophy hounds who waddle their fat butts to the range once a year, clogging up the zero range all weekend with their fudd guns before the season. Most still working on the same box of ammo for the last two years.

Fishing to me is much more enjoyable, but I really only catch and release unless someone asks for them. Hard to do that hunting.

If you harvest enough for you and yours to eat, good for you or if you feel some basic need to go to the woods for stroking your psyche, ok.

If you just go to collect trophies, well something isn't right with that IMO.

Guest Bronker
Being honest with yourself about the place of man in the food chain....

We have binocular vision and canine teeth. A quick perusal of the flow chart of the Animal Kingdom will show that we are in fact, Omnivores. We share these traits with the bears, canines, raptors and cats. The placement of our eyes in the front of our heads makes us predators as well, uniquely suited to hunting instead of avoidance.

I grew up on a farm in West, TN, under the tutelage of an old Native American who would put anything in a pot to survive, if it was too big to fit, we cut it up into small enough pieces to make it so. Having known the cruel pinch of want in his early life, the woods and streams were simply part of the larder of existence. He was one of the kindest people I have ever been around, but, he had no compunction in taking the life of any animal to sustain or protect himself or his family. I would never have been able to explain to him the thought process of an anti-hunter, he just was not wired to understand such a thing. He hated cars for the fact that they "wasted" animals when they ran over them.

His favorite meal was squirrel brains and Bantam eggs. As a youth, I was taught to pick my shots, putting a ball though the rib cage, avoiding head and "shoulder" shots which ruined meat. If rabbit was on the menu, it came from a "gum" no need to waste expensive "shells" and take a chance on splitting a tooth on shot in the meat. He was in all things and opportunist, who managed his "space" to the benefit of his family. He had the single worst case of government hate I have ever seen, as he considered it to be parasitic in all it's forms, something which survived in his mind from his early years on a reservation in Oklahoma. His history gave him a perspective that none of us can possibly have, never having been forced to not hunt, nor be allowed the ability to own the tools to do such.

I love to hunt, in all it's various forms. I avail myself of all weapons system opportunities. I also love to just watch the outdoors, but like the fat tabby that lies at your feet on the patio, when the little bird lands, I lock on. Unlike the cat who will kill just for the act, I limit my actions to those which I consider necessary. granted, I do not have to hunt to eat, but like stropping a knife to keep it sharp, I hunt to satisfy a craving in my soul, and to stay in shape for the eventuality of having to.

As Jack London described, when I watch the fire at night, I feel the "Call of the Wild".

Very eloquently written, WM. Well done.

Guest adamoxtwo
You blood-thirsty, heartless bass-turds.

:cool:

If you are biblically inclined, I figured it was significant that God made this clear right out of the gates, for the ethical, moral handling of such matters as we discuss here. Chapter 1.

Genesis 1:26

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

I mean if God really wants us to who am I to argue?

I can see this argument too. Most hunting these days is not for the meat. It is to simply satisfy the urge for a trophy.

I like to fish but have no use for hunting.

Went when I was a kid with my dad squirrel, rabbit, dove, duck, deer, etc.

By the time I was 13 or so, saw no use in it for me and didn't want to go again. Plus alot of hunters I have been around have been worthless trophy hounds who waddle their fat butts to the range once a year, clogging up the zero range all weekend with their fudd guns before the season. Most still working on the same box of ammo for the last two years.

Fishing to me is much more enjoyable, but I really only catch and release unless someone asks for them. Hard to do that hunting.

If you harvest enough for you and yours to eat, good for you or if you feel some basic need to go to the woods for stroking your psyche, ok.

If you just go to collect trophies, well something isn't right with that IMO.