I hate misinformation

dralarms

Never before have I saw such :poop:.

Sunday night I was flipping throught the channels and caem across "under the influence"

I like cop shows and like watching the good guys win, but this one was really :poop:.

The cop in GA pulled this bike rider over, no lights or something, and found on him a hi point 45. Asked the kid where did he get the boat anchor. That wasn't a problem, hi points are heavy but they shoot and that's what counts.

What pissed me off was his "backup" after unloading the gun found "hollow points" in the gun, told the kid he couldn't have them, said civilians can't own hollow points. Even after being told he bought them at Wal Mart, they kept on ranting about that ammo not being sold to "civilians"

The only thing I could do was yell at the tv "if your gonna be on national tv, make sure what you say is the truth before you make a real ass of your self."

I'd hate to run into these 2 "misinformed" officers. With my primary, backup, and truck gun I've got well over 100 rounds of illegal ammo on me at all times. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't know where they get it. That has been debunked so many times and I KNOW it's not being taught to them. Where they older or younger officers? Reason I ask is because alot of officers that have been on for alot of years seem to think that about hollow points for some reason in my experiences.

I suspect the misinformation is being passed down, not during training, from those who were in LE during the "cop killer bullet" era when almost any bullet that wasn't FMJ was a cop killer. During that time it seemed like you heard about the killing abilities of these bullets on the news almost daily.

You meet or see misinformed people in all professions, not just LE, and not just about firearms but everything. The problem I see is when that misinformation can affect another person's freedom. Imagine if the cops did arrest the guy thinking the bullets were in fact illegal based on what he was told by another LE. Even if charges were eventually dropped the emotional as well as the financial toll trying to defend against the claim would be huge for almost anyone. The toll on the cop who did the arresting could also be substantial.

Misinformation is around us all day long, in person and in the media. Imagine a store clerk who thinks that all guns are illegal. Your a HCP holder and your gun is inadvertantly seen then the clerk calls 911 stating there is a man with a gun. At best it will be an inconvience at worst, well there was the incident at the Las Vegas Costco this year in which someone lost their life. It all started because of a few misinformed people, none of which were LE yet it will be LE that will probably be held most responsible for what happened.

As a general rule very few people have as much knowledge about firearms, or the laws related to them, as those on this board. This includes some LE who have very little knowledge beyond what they carry daily. Not saying this is bad but it can be when this lack of knowledge leads to arrests.

This isn't to bash LE I am just saying that along with the increased responsibility there needs to be increased knowledge in all professions.

Dolomit

Guest mustangdave

Oh damn...I have 3-4 boxes of those Winchester BLACK MEANIE super shredder teflon coated bullets...no wait...they're SXP's with lubolux coating.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Tribal Knowledge. People hear something, believe it, and don't know how or why it was there.

Hollow Points = Cop Killers, etc, :poop: <-------- Tribal Knowledge.

Ironically, doesn't body armor tend to stop HP ammo easier than FMJ ammo? Seems you'd prefer the bad guy to have HP ammo if you're wearing your vest. Of course, anywhere outside of the vest, will it really matter? A HP to my head will ruin my day about as much as an FMJ would, I reckon.

And I'm with you, I hate watching misinformation on TV.

Of course, I enjoy some of the misinformation that I see. Like when the guy in the back seat of the squad car starts running his mouth about how his charge will be dropped because they never read him his rights. I'd pay big bucks to see his face when his defense attorney explains when the miranda rights have to be read and when they don't. :D

Ironically, doesn't body armor tend to stop HP ammo easier than FMJ ammo? Seems you'd prefer the bad guy to have HP ammo if you're wearing your vest. Of course, anywhere outside of the vest, will it really matter? A HP to my head will ruin my day about as much as an FMJ would, I reckon.

And I'm with you, I hate watching misinformation on TV.

Of course, I enjoy some of the misinformation that I see. Like when the guy in the back seat of the squad car starts running his mouth about how his charge will be dropped because they never read him his rights. I'd pay big bucks to see his face when his defense attorney explains when the miranda rights have to be read and when they don't. :D

It's funny when you watch and they have the right to remain silent.........but can't!

No kidding. I've found that the best approach is usually not asking a single thing. Tell 'em what they're under arrest for, sit them in the back seat and just let them sit there while I start my paperwork. It confuses the hell out of them and they just talk and talk and talk... Of course, if you find yourself in the back of my car, you've done something REALLY wrong. I hate locking folks up. :D

Man this thread delivers. Everyones has some good valid (hollow) points. Sorry had to work that in. :puke:

It is possible, they where using the part about being allowed to lie to a person to see what they will say, but I really disagree with that.

Yup, probably started with the cop-killer bullets idea.

Passed down via Tribal Knowledge

HP do break up on Vests and hard surfaces faster and can be brought at Walmart.

Probably most everyone on this board owns HPs.

kb4ns, if I do something dumb enough to find my self in the back of your car, (i hope I never do) I am going to be so dam quite you are going to forget I am back there and will probably end up pulling some one else over for a traffic ticket before you remember I am back there.

Guest mustangdave
No kidding. I've found that the best approach is usually not asking a single thing. Tell 'em what they're under arrest for, sit them in the back seat and just let them sit there while I start my paperwork. It confuses the hell out of them and they just talk and talk and talk... Of course, if you find yourself in the back of my car, you've done something REALLY wrong. I hate locking folks up. ;)

I hated doing the paperwork...

No kidding. I've found that the best approach is usually not asking a single thing. Tell 'em what they're under arrest for, sit them in the back seat and just let them sit there while I start my paperwork. It confuses the hell out of them and they just talk and talk and talk... Of course, if you find yourself in the back of my car, you've done something REALLY wrong. I hate locking folks up. ;)

I would arrest people on warrants (Where I knew nothing about the crime) and they would be in the back of the car running their mouths about how they were going to get the charges dropped because I didn’t read them their rights.

I would say “Have I asked you anything?†and they would start explaining the law to me. These are the same people that get on forums and say the cops don’t know the laws.

I still see on forums today people posting that the cops have to read you your rights when you are arrested.

I would explain that I am not reading them their rights because I don’t know anything about the crime, and I am not going to question them. You are right…. Most of them couldn’t keep their mouths shut and started rattling off all the details. :D