Travel Safes

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you are talking about a sidearm. If so there is really nothing you can put a firearm in that makes it extremely safe. They are all small enough to be walked off by someone determined to walk off with it.

It doesn't need to be uber durable, but should be fairly light and lockable. Any heavy plastic case will do that doesn't have a lot of sharp edges that will get caught on clothing in you bag. Make sure it can be locked. Preferably something that you can attach a lock to, not something that has a built in lock. Those things are junk.

A cabled lock box to a point in your luggage ( prefferably a bar of some sort in the luggage) would be a good way to be sure you have your pistol( handgun, etc...) once you arrive at your location. That is assuming the Airline didn't lose your luggage.

I would invest in a Storm/Pelican case for airline travel if possible.

If it a long gun then yes that is a very good idea. Any hard case would be decent for a pistol packed into a bag. Keep it as small as possible. The biggest problem with the storm and pelican as well as Starlight cases is that the small cases are still quite large.

There is no way to easily secure a case by cable or any other device that I have found which would be sufficient to keep a gun case from being stolen out of a travel suitcase. The cable might be sufficient, but the the weak link would always be what you attach it to would be insufficient. Now that said there are several cases made which are big enough to pack long guns or pistols as well as clothing. I have used them on hunts and they are great, but they really don't work well if you are carrying business clothing that need to stay neat.

After averaging several hundred thousand air miles a year for 10 years and though less now still traveling by air often I have come to the simple conclusion that it is always a gamble and there is no fool proof way to protect your weapons. Believe me.

I will say this, I know more people who have had issues with their long guns being damaged than I do who have had a pistol damaged or stolen. Just make sure you insure your firearms and would recommend not carrying a gun which it would make you absolutely sick to lose.

You might look at one of these In Car Gun Safe

It meets the TSA requirments for checking a firearm in your luggage and it can be used in your car or motel room, by securing the cable around a fixed object.

I have one, works fine.

Obviously, given a little time and the right tool, the cable is easily defeated, but I don't know of anything better short of bolting the thing down to the frame somewhere.

Advantage of this one is that you can use it for car and flying both, as FG mentions.

- OS

I have one, works fine.

Obviously, given a little time and the right tool, the cable is easily defeated, but I don't know of anything better short of bolting the thing down to the frame somewhere.

Advantage of this one is that you can use it for car and flying both, as FG mentions.

- OS

What is the weight? I didn't where it said on the site. I could have just looked right over it. Certainly looks like it would fit the bill for flying. A key lock like they have would work well. Certainly that is a better style than you see on most small gun cases. Having the tether cord is nice for a car, I just don't know that it is worth anything in a suitcase. I may have to pick up one of these and give it a whirl.

I don't care for the one I have in my truck at present, but I need one in there as I travel in it a lot and sometimes have to take it off when I have a meeting in a place where I can't carry.

What is the weight? I didn't where it said on the site. I could have just looked right over it. Certainly looks like it would fit the bill for flying. A key lock like they have would work well. Certainly that is a better style than you see on most small gun cases. Having the tether cord is nice for a car, I just don't know that it is worth anything in a suitcase. I may have to pick up one of these and give it a whirl.

I don't care for the one I have in my truck at present, but I need one in there as I travel in it a lot and sometimes have to take it off when I have a meeting in a place where I can't carry.

I have one....not sure what it weighs exactly...but would say it feels "sturdy", at least for what it is, but it's not what I would call heavy by any means.

What is the weight? I didn't where it said on the site....

I don't think it says on site.

It's not particularly heavy...I'll try to remember to pull it out of car tomorrow and weight....PM me to remind me if I haven't done it by early afternoon.

- OS

This works good for me SECURE-IT STORAGE SECURITY SAFE GUN CASE PISTOL LG SECURE-IT STORAGE SECURITY SAFE GUN CASE PISTOL LG KEY! - eBay (item 390183464363 end time Oct-13-10 17:13:58 PDT)

light and durable.

That almost certainly IS the center of mass safe...I noticed that they have been sold under several distribution names in the last couple years.

Cabelas was selling them for a while also, under even another name.

That large one is $35 with shipping, definitely a better price than COM's site.

You don't want the "medium" one.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
This works good for me SECURE-IT STORAGE SECURITY SAFE GUN CASE PISTOL LG SECURE-IT STORAGE SECURITY SAFE GUN CASE PISTOL LG KEY! - eBay (item 390183464363 end time Oct-13-10 17:13:58 PDT)

light and durable.

I had been looking at these, yall just made my mind up, one just ordered. :) :)

OK, so I've had this a few days and I've had it open to try and get rid of the obnoxious smell that is in the foam to no avail. Anybody got any recommendations on how to get the mothbally smell out of this thing? :yuck::usa::yuck:

OK, so I've had this a few days and I've had it open to try and get rid of the obnoxious smell that is in the foam to no avail. Anybody got any recommendations on how to get the mothbally smell out of this thing? :usa::):yuck:

Must be why they're some cheaper than the Center of Mass, even though they look identical; maybe they got a discount on some mildewed foam rolls or something. :yuck:

- OS

Must be why they're some cheaper than the Center of Mass, even though they look identical; maybe they got a discount on some mildewed foam rolls or something. ;)

- OS

I'm an expert on mildew, just look in my underwear/sock drawer for verification ;) .

The foam doesn't have a mildew smell, it is most definitely a chemical smell of some sort. I guess the only thing to do is keep airing it or replace it. I wonder if Fabreeze would work on it..............

As far as the build of the box, it looks great. Flush and fit are on the money and the hinge and lock mechanism work just fine. The skin is thick enough to do its purpose so I really can't complain about much except for the mothball smell from the foam. Appearance and functionality wise, the foam looks and works good. It just leaves a mothbally smell on your gun. :poop: