H&K How good are there recoil systems compaired to Glock and XD

Guest horjdyk

Guest horjdyk

I am looking at H&K P30 and really want to get one. I just was wondering what there recoil systems are like compared to the XD compacts or Glock 27. My buddy is trying to convince me to sell my Glock and buy and XD but i really like the look of the H&K P30. The only reason I would even think about selling my Glock 27 is to benefit from faster follow up shots. This would be mainly my carry gun and it would be in a 40.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The P30 is larger, heavier and in 9mm a lighter recoil cartridge than the G27. I have a 19, 23 and have shot a lot of P30. The recoil of the H&K ad Glock is about the same. All things being equal the Glock has less muzzle rise because of the much lower bore axis.

I don't care much for the XD and it would be my last choice. The ergos are nice but the trigger isn't very good and the bore axis is much higher.

The P30 would probably allow for faster follow up shots than the 27, but so would a 19 or 23 or the 26. What you sacrifice is weight, longer and heavier gun and longer grip, ie less concealable. The P30 also has a very aggressive grip and for many people it rubs their side raw in a holster if the grip is exposed to the skin.

I've got a Glock 26, and 19 and a P30. My experience has been somewhat counter-intuitive. I find that the 26 is the fastest for follow-up shots. It has the double recoil spring and shorter barrel which I think are part of it. However, all that is dependent on getting a solid grip on a little package. I use the talon grips and a pinky extension on one mag.

When I owned a USP in .40 I thought that the dual recoil spring made a noticeable difference in making the gun less snappy. However, in 9mm, the recoil on the Glock 19 and P30 are about the same. The Glock makes faster follow ups just because of the lower axis.

I know this isn't what you originally asked, but one way that the P30 beats the glock hands down is the layout of the controls and the ergos. The feel of the p30 is better than anything I've ever held. The controls are the best I've used, too. Reloads are significantly faster and all the controls can be manipulated with ease without changing from your shooting grip.

I just sold a USP Compact and went straight Glock. Loved the USPc, but I like the feel of the Glock better. On a side note I was at an advanced pistol class Saturday and of the 11 students 5 had XDs in one form or another. All 5 had malfuntions with two having several malfuntions and stovepipes. We only shot 500 rounds and at around 300 or so one guy with a full size had one malfuntion per mag for the rest of the day. He was pretty annoyed. Never had any experience with them, but it will never be my choice for a carry gun.

Guest horjdyk

Thanks for all the info i think for now i will stick with my glock. It shoots good and if there is not going to be a huge difference in the recoil then for the extra money is not worth it right now.

I went to the XD/XDm in 40 S&W for awhile. The XDm-40 broke twice within 5,000 rounds and the XD's had problems locking the slide back on mags with cartridges still in them.

Now I am back to Glocks.

The XD/XDm were good shooters but I could not bring myself to trust them for carry.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a couple of Glocks (G19, G36) and a couple of XDs (XD-45 and XDm-40). All four guns are reliable enough to trust my life on. The triggers on the XDs are better than the Glocks, but I do like the Glocks. I was once told that LEOs carry Glocks because they can't afford H&Ks. I have shot a few H&Ks and frankly, I was disappointed. I was expecting too much I guess.

Guest JHatmaker

Have a P30 and love it. Recoil is much smoother in my opinion than a Glock (which I've owned) but there's not enough of a difference to pay $400 more for the HK. I just really really like HK's..... :P

Also, can't really compare a Glock or XD to the P30 as far as function since the HK has a decocker and hammer.

But I feel more comfortable carrying the HK vs a Glock or XD.

Edited by JHatmaker