Denied Purchase

RKRNTN

:up:Don’t know where exactly to post this question but… Today when attempting to buy a rife at a local gun shop I was denied by the state?? I have bought a few guns recently and never been denied before. I did fax the appeal form back to Nashville while still at the gun shop. Has any one else been denied – just out of the blue like this? I would appreciate any input.:)
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was denied about 6 months ago.

It was around 530pm, and we were just getting ready to close and I got denied.

(Sorta disturbing when I have a valid HCP, DoD security clearance, and am the FFL...lol)

I was SO freakn pissed...lol

Anyway, I didnt even bother filling out an appeal form, and just locked up the shop and when home.

When I came back the next day, I checked our TICs log, and it had been overturned and changed to Approved.

I suspect someone punched the wrong button or something.

Guest boatme99

I get denied about half of the time. I was born on U.S. military base overseas and sometimes the person doing the check sees a foriegn country and just says no. It then goes to the FBI, and they always say basically, "morons", and approve. It gives me 10-20 minutes more in the shop to look for my next purchase. It was a PITA at first, now I expect it, and deal with it.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I bought several guns while waiting on my permit with no problem.

DOS then wanted some 20+ year old bad check documents from FL. The same day I sent them in I was denied. I actually called and the lady at TBI and she said that they also now needed those documents? Why they never had before I have no idea. I actually have no idea why DOS even wanted documents from a closed case that was not even a disqualifying case?

Luckily I had told FL to send two certified copies and faxed them to her that evening, by the next morning I was good to go and have never had another problem.

As with Joe I also have a DOD clearance that is still in effect and the bad check stuff was bogus from day one anyway so it really chapped my hide. But they did fix it quick so if you have been buying I would expect you will be overturned rather quickly.

I have heard it happens to a lot of folks for no apparent reason from time to time only to be reversed within a day or so.

I was denied about 6 months ago.

It was around 530pm, and we were just getting ready to close and I got denied.

(Sorta disturbing when I have a valid HCP, DoD security clearance, and am the FFL...lol)

I was SO freakn pissed...lol

Anyway, I didnt even bother filling out an appeal form, and just locked up the shop and when home.

When I came back the next day, I checked our TICs log, and it had been overturned and changed to Approved.

I suspect someone punched the wrong button or something.

I just recently had a lady denied when I ran the check and we faxed the appeal. A couple hours later the TICS screen suddenly had her approved and didn't show that a denial had been issued. Needless to say the boss called and they said it should have been delayed due to waiting on another agency. Weird.

I also know another guy who got denied because of a traffic violation from 10 years prior where the paperwork where the court had dismissed it never got filed. It got cleared on appeal within the 15 day limit.

With all the identity fraud going on these days I expect to see this more frequently. While not a firearm purchase, once my mom had to go down to the jail in Memphis for about 4 hours in cuffs, while they determined the many warrants in her name where not actually her. Turns out in Memphis there were a lot of Sharon Smith's with a lot of warrants. funny thing is my mom is about as straight laced, squeaky clean, preachers wife as they come. LOL

\

With all the identity fraud going on these days I expect to see this more frequently. While not a firearm purchase, once my mom had to go down to the jail in Memphis for about 4 hours in cuffs, while they determined the many warrants in her name where not actually her. Turns out in Memphis there were a lot of Sharon Smith's with a lot of warrants. funny thing is my mom is about as straight laced, squeaky clean, preachers wife as they come. LOL

Not to hijack, but we locked a guy up one day for a few things and when he gave us his name and DOB (no ID on him) he came up as having warrants. We call for a transport from Shelby County Fugitive Squad, they pull everything up to verify and sure enough looks like him. Then, and only then after all this, did the guy admit he was using his friend's name and wasn't really him. It took another hour just to verify who this dude actually was and he went to jail anyway.

The crazy thing is...if he had given us his name he would've probably got let go with a Misdemeanor citation when MPD came to transport.

Dilemma continues: TICS mailed me a letter with a finger print card and instructions to go by my local Sheriff’s dept. – get a set of prints and mail them back to Nashville????

So… It cost money to get printed and money to mail my prints back to them; so my discount the gun shop gave me, price below “suggested manufacture retail price” is slowly disappearing. Who knows in a week or two I may be able to pick up the gun I’ve already paid cash money for. I’ll keep you guy’s posted.

Well I got a letter E-mailed to me yesterday from TICS saying to the gun shop:

“This is to inform you that we have overturned the following transaction as of: October 19, 2010”

When I Called the TICS earlier this week the woman there said there was a conflict with the same name and birth date. ??? I can only guess someone was picked up by a LEO, gave my name and birth date and when that person did not show up for a court date… They needed to compare the prints – or not—either way I can now pick up the gun I paid for back on 10/09/10. So now you guys know as much about this mess as I do.