85 yr old's semi-auto pistol choice philosophy

graycrait

I got this last night from an "old" friend. He was a WWII Marine veteran and oddly enough has or has had all the guns he mentioned, including his grandfather's 1911 that his grand dad carried in France in WWI. OK, so he has another dozen 1911s. Post WWII he used his GI Bill, traveled all over the world, eventually settling in TN with a pack of dogs out in the woods, still shoots everyday. Enjoy!

Craig:

You may salivate over, hunger for, chase after, and have fleeting romances with Hollywood Stars, but for enduring capacity, performance, reliability, and one to bet your life on you canot beat the reality of The Girl Next Door. I think it is much the same with semi-auto pistols. You may salivate over, hunger for, chase after, and have fleeting romances with the 1911s, Hi-Powers, CZs, Walthers, Sig Sauers, XDs, Rugers, and other such Hollywood Stars, but for solid enduring capacity, performance, ease of field stripping, reliability, and one to bet your life on the Glock is the one against which all other pistols must be compared. The plain jane Glock is the Reality of The Girl Next Door.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate to see the ugly dumptruck of a wildebeest that must live next door to him to warrant such a comparison. I also wouldn't want to be him if she finds out what he just said about her, lol.
Easy Chuck, senility is no joking matter.:):P

Wisdom can be accepted or rejected. I think the old man has a valid point. He is wise listen to him. I ain't say everybody go out and buy a Glock but surely you can listen to the advice of an 85 year old Marine. The pistol I don't have locked in the safe and keep by my bedside, is a Glock. The Austrian Brick.

Edited by Will Carry

He thought I would enjoy his homespun philosophy, but not before he asked what I thought of the Walther P99AS Compact and then started to plot what trades he could come up with in trying to get the Walther. He won't trade 1911s, revolvers or Glocks. One time I asked him if he had a S&W Target Masterpiece: he comes out with a what looked like a matched set of a LNIB Mdl 14 & 17 he picked up in 1968, then said, "Lets go shoot them." Then there is the story of his Hamilton Bowen.....

I would hate to see the ugly dumptruck of a wildebeest that must live next door to him to warrant such a comparison. I also wouldn't want to be him if she finds out what he just said about her, lol.

I can't argue with the old man's point, but the girl next door usually has better looks than the analagous Glock.

Y'know, for an 85 year-old, 1911s, revolvers, and Hi-powers used to be "the girls next door".

I guess that somewhere over the years, Gramps must'a moved into a bad neighborhood... :):D

Edited by Jamie
Key part of that phrase.

May be. But at 85 years old, I would think a fellow would have long figured out how fickle and unreliable "younger women" can be. :hat:

May be. But at 85 years old, I would think a fellow would have long figured out how fickle and unreliable "younger women" can be. :drama:
Jaime, surely by now you should know that a Glock has never ever had any failure of any kind. EVER. And if it did it was operator error.:D
Guest Bonedaddy
:D
HAHAHAHA!!!!! I totally agree, Chuck. I've yet to see a gun field strip and clean as fast as my Stoeger. I've been timed at 6 seconds with mag and round in to field strip when zoned in. And I'm a old dude. Well, sorta. Old fella probably didn't like the way some of them 1911's would screw up at the wrong time, although them Colt's were pretty damn good guns. My grandfather could shave a person with his. But Glock's ain't bad, either. Just don't like'm.:rolleyes:
Guest The Highlander

I love Glocks, and have shot them in every caliber except the .45 GAP and .380 for the last 15 years without any failure of any kind in a single weapon.

And I really appreciate the gentleman's take on selection.

But, my SIG P220 Elite is the best of all worlds, girl next door practical, Hell and back reliable, hits like Ali, shoots as straight as Ted Nugent, and does it all with movie star looks!

The Highlander

Guest mmarcum

I am new here but have been a satisfied glock owner for years. I actually own a set of twins. I own a set of 17's and carry one of them about half of the time. I carry a snubby most of the time just for the concealment factor. I love my glocks and carry them when I can and consider them one heck of a tool to protect myelf or my family with and will continue to use this great tool. Glock makes one fine tool and consider myself fortunate to have a couple to protect my family .

I would agree with the old guy as well. There are lots of great guns out there but if I had to hit the woods in a SHTF scenario with no gun cleaning kit and no oil or solvent there is only one gun that would be up to the task. GLOCK!