AK 47 Type rifle info needed

Keyless

I am looking into buying a AK 47 type rifle towards the end of the year. I am looking to get the best I can for the money. There a several different ones out there and as of now my only requirement is , I want a underfolder.

I am seeing several listed from various countries. Are any better than others ? Any big things to look for , or to avoid . I am not looking for the best out there but just a decent shooter.

I have also thought about buying a parts kit and building one. Anyone done that before?

I see parts kits at Apex and I am sure several places offer the parts needed to build a SEMI-Automatic rifle .

Thanks for any info.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info. Maybe I should have said that I just want a folding stock. I will try and check both type of folding stocks out .

Mike ,

I enjoy building things and have a small home machine shop with a lathe and mill . I have built a semi automatic Sten with a tube from Indianapolis Ordinance . However , I do want to thank you for the warning , but I think I would enjoy it and I think , I realize what I am gettimg into. I see places that sell receivers that are flat and need bent . I have a press and time. So I figure the worst that can happen is I can loose some time , a little money , and have a parts kit to sell .

Edited by Keyless

To build you will need to be able to weld, heat treat, have a proper bending jig, some specialty tools, and a rivet tool. If you want to build one this guy has some tools to make it easier. Toth Tool & Engineering, LLC However, with all the money that setup tools cost you would have to build several rifles to make it worth the cost. The only underfolder available is the Yugo AK. They are great rifles and won't cost a fortune. If you want to do some fabrication and customization with out building from a parts kit, get a Saiga and convert it. That will take all the hard expensive stuff out and still let you customize it the way you want it and you can do it all with a Dremel and a drill. As for folding stock the Ace skeleton folder with the internal block can't be beat. Like this

DSCN2501.jpg

GoussSopModAK.jpg

Edited by Smith

Smith

Very nice !! Thats what I have in mind . I had a mak 90 and a SLR 95 years ago and liked them very well but times got hard and kids had to be fed.

Again this may be a stupid question but how has the law changed on the folding stock ? At one time it was a no no but I am seeing it done now on a regular basis and am thinking it was part of the Clinton ban that included the high capacity magazines that ran out or something .

I sort of lost interest for a while and didn't keep up with all the changes in the laws. Thanks

Smith

Very nice !! Thats what I have in mind . I had a mak 90 and a SLR 95 years ago and liked them very well but times got hard and kids had to be fed.

Again this may be a stupid question but how has the law changed on the folding stock ? At one time it was a no no but I am seeing it done now on a regular basis and am thinking it was part of the Clinton ban that included the high capacity magazines that ran out or something .

I sort of lost interest for a while and didn't keep up with all the changes in the laws. Thanks

Folding stocks are a non-issue (on rifles). ATF measures with the stock extended, so as long as it is 26" with the stock extended you're fine.

I am real interested in the Saiga and I am pretty sure it is what I will buy , unless I run across a good deal from a individual locally . I did notice something in the ad that I need a little info on

It said somewhere that a factory AK-47 does not fit without modifacation to the gun . What needs to be done ? I am guessing a simple grinding of some little block or something.

Thanks for all the help on these basic questions , But I want to avoid any mistakes .

I am real interested in the Saiga and I am pretty sure it is what I will buy , unless I run across a good deal from a individual locally . I did notice something in the ad that I need a little info on

It said somewhere that a factory AK-47 does not fit without modifacation to the gun . What needs to be done ? I am guessing a simple grinding of some little block or something.

Thanks for all the help on these basic questions , But I want to avoid any mistakes .

To use the internal block adapter from Ace you have to cut off the rear tang on the Saiga. It isn't too difficult, other than the fact the metal is very hard.

Here is a picture to give you an idea. The rear tang I'm talking about is in the right side of the picture.

49.jpg

Guest bkelm18

Think you left out a word... are you asking about the magazine? If so all you have to do is file a little off the mag catch. Takes 2 minutes.

+1 on the Saiga. I know some people are put off by the proprietary mag but it really isn't that big of a deal. Have owned one for several years, shoots great with good build quality- not one malfunction of any type.

Edited by tenman