.45acp for SD

As I wait for my AC Commander to be released from the captivity of the gunsmith, I am getting ready to buy some more ammo.

I have shot Rem UMC 230 MC and Win 230gr JHP during the break-in, 200 of the Rem and 100 of the Win with no failure to feed, no ammo related failure to fire and no failure to eject.

I am new to the claliber, so any recommendations for a good, readily available SD round

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most any modern JHP will be fine, just verify function before you trust your life to it.

This.

Find a JHP round from a reliable name. Shoot a bunch of it to ensure compatibility with your gun. Enjoy your new carry round. I've yet to see someone get shot by one name brand just to jump up and ask to be re-shot with a different one...

being as the .45 ACP is the apex of pistol ammunition I would dare say 230 grains of ball ammo will take a bad guy out of the fight just as well as any hollow point.

Regarding .45ACP...

While I wouldn't feel undergunned with FMJ, I don't see why you'd settle for it with so many good 230gr JHPs on the market (unless your pistol doesn't function with JHP).

Personally, I like Speer 230gr Gold Dot and Winchester 230gr Ranger-T.

I was carrying Winchester Black Talon 230 sxt. One of our salesman had sold all of his .45s and he had a bunch of boxes of the Black Talon which he sold to me for $10 a box. I shot up one box to make sure the ammo was still good. I saw on Gun Broker that some people have been paying like $40 a box for this ammo so I quit carrying it and started carrying either Remington Golden Sabre 230 or Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense.

I was carrying Winchester Black Talon 230 sxt. One of our salesman had sold all of his .45s and he had a bunch of boxes of the Black Talon which he sold to me for $10 a box. I shot up one box to make sure the ammo was still good. I saw on Gun Broker that some people have been paying like $40 a box for this ammo so I quit carrying it and started carrying either Remington Golden Sabre 230 or Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense.

Sell it while you can, the new winchester rangers are basically the black talon minus the coating. Not everyone knows this yet, but word is making its way around. Black talons were never outlawed, just discontinued due to bad press and lies (propaganda and war machine stuff), now they are made anew in the rangers. Triple your money, use it for the equivalent rounds of ranger and pocket the profits.

Guest hoss6175

Just find ammo that your 45 likes. It does't matter how many feet per second when it a close up fire fight. I like a good jhp but a fmj would take the fight out of someone and take them out of the fight.

What ever you deside to carry make sure it will run flawless that way if you need it you know it's ready

the new winchester rangers are basically the black talon minus the coating. Not everyone knows this yet, but word is making its way around.

No.

The Winchester Ranger-T is a completely different, redesigned bullet from the Black Talon.

It's like saying the Ford Focus is the same as the Ford Mustang...yeah they're both Fords with 4 tires, but they're not the same.

Yes, sell the Talons to someone who values them...and use the money to get more Ranger-Ts (a much superior bullet design).