Church carry?

Guest PatriotCSA

Guest PatriotCSA

I recall from reading a while back that you can carry in church. Please correct me if I am wrong as I know only a few states allow it. If this is indeed legal in tn, I have a question. A lot of churches have schools attached to them. So since carrying firearms is illegal on school properties, does this negate the ability to carry at a church with a school attached? Or is the church considered to be a separate and legal area to carry?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know carrying at church is legal in TN. I know a few people who do it.

But if there is a school in the same building as the church I don't think it would be legal.

conceal, if nothing happens no one will ever be the wiser.

If for some reason you need to use the piece you are good to go.

I don't remember who posted it here, but a while back someone commented that if they were killed and had not carried where it was postedl that their loved ones could at least look down on him and comment " at least he did not break the law".

I don't want my loved ones saying this.

conceal, if nothing happens no one will ever be the wiser.

If for some reason you need to use the piece you are good to go.

I don't remember who posted it here, but a while back someone commented that if they were killed and had not carried where it was postedl that their loved ones could at least look down on him and comment " at least he did not break the law".

I don't want my loved ones saying this.

Damn straight Mike!

Guest Caveman

Just curious here, why would it be a big deal to carry at church? I know the OP was asking about the school aspect (which would make it illegal if the church doubled as a school IMO) but why would carrying at church be any different then carrying at Wal-Mart, or anywhere else? I have read discussions and had conversations that give me the impression some seem to think carrying at church is taboo and I don't understand why that is.

I recall from reading a while back that you can carry in church. Please correct me if I am wrong as I know only a few states allow it. If this is indeed legal in tn, I have a question. A lot of churches have schools attached to them. So since carrying firearms is illegal on school properties, does this negate the ability to carry at a church with a school attached? Or is the church considered to be a separate and legal area to carry?

In case you couldn't exactly tell from the responses, a church is no different than any other business. Legal to carry there under TN law, if not posted.

The school situation does change the equation however.

There is some debate as to where the "school" ends and the "church" begins, though.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

The school situation does change the equation however.

There is some debate as to where the "school" ends and the "church" begins, though.

Sunday School? ;)

As the sign indicates a church, not a school, I'll treat it as such on weekends. During the week, it's a school.

Not a lawyer but I tend to agree, during normal school hours M-F say 8 am to 5pm a school type, however can't forget about those Wednesday night services not that I have been to one on Wednesday night in forever.

I know I am going to badly mis quote the AG as I am not certain where to find the AG opinions so someone will correct me.

I know I read somewhere about the AG has an opinion on I believe local parks when being used by schools, may turn in to a non carry zone with out being posted.

So this is my opinion I believe a Church would only be a no carry zone under the laws covering schools, when being used by or for a school for a school function. Sunday school is a Church function. Vacation Bible School is a Church Function.

However AG opinions are just that until ruled by a judge and or made into law.

Edited by vontar

Here in Nebraska it is illegal to carry in a church--anytime. I do that there are some that do it anyway and get away with it. I go to a small church and I would not have a problem with any of our members but in a larger city or church there could be problems.

Guest db99wj
Not a lawyer but I tend to agree, during normal school hours M-F say 8 am to 5pm a school type, however can't forget about those Wednesday night services not that I have been to one on Wednesday night in forever.

I know I am going to badly mis quote the AG as I am not certain where to find the AG opinions so someone will correct me.

I know I read someone about the AGs opinion on I believe local parks when being used by schools, turn in to a non carry zone with out being posted.

So I believe a Church would only be a no carry zone when being used by a school for a school function. Sunday school is a Church function. Vacation Bible School is a Church Function.

I wish we could get a clarification on this. I run into this issue everyday.

Guest jackdm3
I see my bad grammar/writing skills, lack or proof reading attacks again as well. going back to clean that up a bit.

I did some edits.

At least you know the difference.

Brothers (....both Christian and Pagan....):_____________

I say carry your tools to church. Here is what Jesus had to say about this issue:

Luke 22:36 New King James Version

36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

These are the tmes we are living in. The Hebrew Temple Guards carried swords.

Think about it.

Food for thought.

Leroy

Guest jackdm3

Brothers (....both Christian and Pagan....):_____________

I say carry your tools to church. Here is what Jesus had to say about this issue:

Luke 22:36 New King James Version

36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.

These are the tmes we are living in. The Hebrew Temple Guards carried swords.

Think about it.

Food for thought.

Leroy

Pagans take their guns to chu'ch?

I know I read somewhere about the AG has an opinion on I believe local parks when being used by schools, may turn in to a non carry zone with out being posted.

So this is my opinion I believe a Church would only be a no carry zone under the laws covering schools, when being used by or for a school for a school function. Sunday school is a Church function. Vacation Bible School is a Church Function.

However AG opinions are just that until ruled by a judge and or made into law.

The AG Opinion on parks being used by schools doesn't really apply, because carry at parks is otherwise legal unless it posted or used by teh school. However school grounds are off-limits 24/7.

Even you go to the parking lot of your local high school on Saturday afternoon and there is not a child in sight for 20 miles, it is still illegal to carry there.

If a church has a state liscensed school, then legally you can't carry anywhere that would/could be considered school grounds or the school campus.

Now whether the chapel/sacutary is school grounds or considered on the school campus....that is the question

As far as where to look AG opinons up See here>> Opinions, as mentioned in this post http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-law-faq/13408-reference-material-some-basic-questions.html

Fallguy, some Private Church Schools, have separate buildings but shared parking lots. Some may use the Church building during the week as well.

So these are a pretty grey area.

So I guess the concern for the OP and some of us could be, carrying in the Parking Lot to the Church building on Sunday Morning.

Yes I know CC and no one will know, but some people like to know for certain if it could be considered legal.

BTW Fallguy, notice I got your name right this time at least.