General handgun loading question

I have only been reloading for a month or so and to date a couple of hundred rounds loaded and all have left the gun with no problems. I have a pretty good grasp of how things work,as I did a lot of reading and research before actually building any loads. My question concerns bullet types in the various load datum available. If the weight of a bullet is the same and jacketed, does it matter if the load given is for fmj or jhp? I understand that there are differences for cast bullets and plated or jacketed, but if, for example, a load is given for Hornady xtp, would it not be the same load for a Zero fmj? If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. :rolleyes::confused:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general the load data will and should be the same. However, if you happen to be loading very hot max pressure for some reason, then conceivably you could have a problem. We are talking case volume here, and it will change between different bullet shapes slightly when loading to the same OAL. OAL for a JHP will normally give you slightly more volume than a FMJ (with the same base, no lead exposed), because the bullet itself is longer. More volume = less pressure, and vise-versa.

But if you are not pushing the envelope beyond written data or wildcatting, then the difference is not large enough to have case failure.

Guest Lester Weevils

I'm very ignorant of reloading, and ignorance makes me cautious.

Some shapes of bullets need different OAL to feed properly in semi-autos.

Just perusing load data, powder grains versus pressure seems rather non-linear. Looking at typical load charts, near the top end, pressure seems to rise quickly with only tiny increases in powder load. If the load-vs-pressure is so non-linear, in my ignorance am gonna guess that case volume might also be a rather non-linear factor, and I'd rather monkey-see-monkey-do an exact manufacturer's recipe on all those variables.

Billco:______________

RE: Your question here:

.....My question concerns bullet types in the various load datum available. If the weight of a bullet is the same and jacketed, does it matter if the load given is for fmj or jhp? ...

For pistol loading, the data can be pretty well used between bullet types, unless the loading manual says otherwise. Said another way; for pistol loads you can interchange jacketed bullet data back and forth between bullet types for the same bullet weight(...fmj for jacketed hollowpoint, and viceversa...).

The problem with data interchangeability at equal bullet weight and composition comes in with rifle bullets. Some rifle bullet designs (...especially the long range target bullets...) have a longer bearing surface than the standard and hunting bullets. That means that when the loads get in the higher ranges of pressure, that individual bullet type changes can push pressures over acceptable limits for a particular type of bullet, and not for another. Pressures developed by bullets are related to both how soft the bullet is (...how well it seals the bore...) and how long the bearing surface is that touches the lands and grooves as the bullet moves down the barrel (...and, of course, the powder charge and primer type...). Pistol bullets tend to be short and fat. That equals a pretty much the same bullet bearing length between bullet types. Rifle bullets can be more long and skinny. That makes the bearing surface longer. That long, skinny shape translates to a longer bearing surface and higher pressures.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest achingass
I have only been reloading for a month or so and to date a couple of hundred rounds loaded and all have left the gun with no problems. I have a pretty good grasp of how things work,as I did a lot of reading and research before actually building any loads. My question concerns bullet types in the various load datum available. If the weight of a bullet is the same and jacketed, does it matter if the load given is for fmj or jhp? I understand that there are differences for cast bullets and plated or jacketed, but if, for example, a load is given for Hornady xtp, would it not be the same load for a Zero fmj? If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it. :):confused:
when it comes to reloading i would not take anyones word on it. what i do is go by weight

and i take the data and work around it. i start on the low and work my way up to the max. i will load 50 at low and 50 at the middle and 50 at max. and sometimes in between those. the shape of the bottom of the bullet can make a difference. its ok to use the same load for xtp and zero but they may not have the same results. i spent a lot of time and money to come up with my own loads. using different powders and bulletts, keeps me busy.

Guest Archminister01

Unless you are looking for a certain performance out of a load, then take all of the given data, as it will vary slightly from manual to manual at times, and start near or at the lower end of the powder suggestion. I have found a nice middle ground on the ammunition that I load using averages of what my manuals have specified. I use plated and jacketed bullets with the same load for each specified weight of bullet. What you are being told is correct, unless you are dancing on the razors edge at the top of the load charts looking to make that nuclear round you will be safe. I make target ammunition only. I have the equipment to make match grade ammo, but at this time I do not need to. Have fun, enjoy your new found addiction..lol..and stay safe.

Spend the bucks and get a chronograph. I loaded for years and years without one. Once I started shooting loads over the chrono it was eye opening. The loads I had gotten from magazines that had been thoroughly tested were about right but the loads I got from modern loading manuals were usually way under pressured and velocities were no where near published data. Older manuals, which I have many, were a lot closer to reality. But a lot of the older manuals do not have the newer powders or cartridges listed so....get a chronograph. The digital concepts pro chrono is a good one for a $100 bucks.

Another thing to consider;

Loading up a batch for a test run gives you the chance to make sure the new brand of bullet feeds well. It'd be fun to load up 500 rounds only to find out that the bullet shape is slightly different and your pistol / rifle doesn't like them.

I always load up a small batch whenever I change anything.

Loading up a batch for a test run gives you the chance to make sure the new brand of bullet feeds well. It'd be fun to load up 500 rounds only to find out that the bullet shape is slightly different and your pistol / rifle doesn't like them.

+10000

When I make any change, I make it on a single stage press and test it before proceeding to a large quantity made on a progressive press.