Guest MeanMrMustard

Which rifle?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which rifle?

• Moist Nugget
    • Kar98k
    • Lee Enfield

Guest MeanMrMustard

I've been considering the purchase of a WWII era bolt-action rifle. The contenders are: Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield & Kar98k.

What are the relative strengths & weaknesses of each in terms of price, parts & ammo availability, reliability & build quality, accuracy, ease of maintenance & cleaning etc...?

Which would you recommend I purchase? This would be my first rifle.

Also, is it generally better to find a rifle online and have it shipped to a FFL? Or go to various gun shops and see their stock? Or go to a shop and have them order the rifle?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosin is the cheapest to buy and shoot. Rifles are $100 and ammo is very inexpensive and plentiful. It is also the cheapest made and has the worst action of the 3 you mentioned. Regardless, it is really a fun gun.

The Mauser and Enfield are far better made rifles with usually alot of cool markings that you can decipher. Surplus 8mm is still available so ammo is fairly cheap, not as cheap as 7.62.54r, but it's there. There is some surplus .303 available on and off, but don't count on it. Plan on commerical or hand-loads for that.

Depending on what kind of K98 you're talking about...early or late war German, Yugoslavian knock-off, Russian capture, etc you could pay anywhere from $200 to over $500 and have either a very smooth or rough gun/action.

Enfields have pretty slick actions. From C&R dealers No. 4, Mk 1's are around $250 or so.

I refuse to vote as I have all 3. :poop:

i have a mosin and enfield, and I've shot the mauser. If you are buying to shoot much, I'd suggest the mosin or mauser. the enfield design has headspace issues that required changing the bolt over time. If the gun you get doesn't have a good fit, it won't be reliable and potentially unsafe. I like mine, but it isn't something I shoot much. I like my guns to go bang when i pull the trigger, not 2 seconds later.

between the mosin and the mauser, I really enjoy the mosin, but the mauser is a better gun imo. that being said, the mosin is great for the price. as noted above, it is much cheaper to buy and the ammo is cheaper as well. I voted for the mauser but the mosin is a good choice as well. make sure you pull it tight though, it has some kick :-)

Guest Aces&8s

All of the above are fine choices, but you might also look at the Swiss K31. WWII era rifle, the Swiss never used corrosive ammo, so they usually have great bores, the standard issue GP11 ammo is near match quality, and the straight-pull bolt is built like a ... well, like a Swiss watch.

All three will deliver about 3-6moa depending upon wear, build quality, and other factors. Any of the three is capable of 2-3moa with a bit of work. All are known as reliable, durable rifles. Your choice is probably going to be more about personal preference and how well your wallet is stuffed than anything else.

Mosin Nagant - Sturdy, simple, cheap ammo, strong action, and inexpensive rifles. Most after 1934(?) have chromed bores which doubles the barrel life, increases velocity slightly, and decreases chances of corrosion from surplus ammo. Action can be very stiff when new, no safety, and thin barrel heats up quickly and changes POI within ten rounds.

98 Mauser - The classic Mauser action, still in production after 112 years has to say something! A well-made Mauser 98 is reliable, smooth, and accurate. Potentially the most accurate of the three. The Yugo M48 and M48a are bargains as they can be had in excellent condition for less than a WWII 98k, but are still well-made rifles. Check the bore condition and headspace carefully. If both are good, then your rifle will last a long time without issues.

Lee-Enfield - In early WWI, a squad of British troops armed with Lee-Enfields could deliver as much aimed, effective fire as a Maxim Machine Gun! It takes training, but the Smelly (from Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield) has a very quick, smooth bolt-action and a ten-round magazine. The early No4 rifles with the milled sight have the best sights of any non-US military bolt-action rifle. The No1, MKIII WWI rifles aren't bad either. Bolt heads are replaceable, not because the headspace changes any more than other rifles, but for ease of manufacture. But it does make proper headspacing easier than other rifles. Again, bore condition is critical. External appearance can be fixed, but rebarreling a SMLE is a pain. The SMLE also has the easiest safety of any military bolt-action. The N01, MKIII is also the best bayonet-fighting rifle I've ever handled if that means anything to you.

My personal preference is SMLE, Mauser, Mosin. I have a No4 that delivers 2moa with good ammo. Combined with the slick action, excellent sights, and usable safety, I have used it for plinking, target shooting, and hunting (with aftermarket 5rd mag).

Guest MeanMrMustard

Thanks again to everyone for the info. I've got a little bit more research to do (esp on the Swedish Mauser & Swiss K31) but you've definitely been a big help. :up:

Mosin Nagant - Sturdy, simple, cheap ammo, strong action, and inexpensive rifles. Most after 1934(?) have chromed bores which doubles the barrel life, increases velocity slightly, and decreases chances of corrosion from surplus ammo. Action can be very stiff when new, no safety, and thin barrel heats up quickly and changes POI within ten rounds.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'no safety'. To activate the safety on a Mosin Nagant, you pull rearward on the knob at the back of the bolt, rotate it as far as it will go and let it move forward into postion. Pull it out, rotate it in the opposite direction and let it move forward into position to put it back into 'fire' mode.

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'no safety'. To activate the safety on a Mosin Nagant, you pull rearward on the knob at the back of the bolt, rotate it as far as it will go and let it move forward into postion. Pull it out, rotate it in the opposite direction and let it move forward into position to put it back into 'fire' mode.

True that.

BTW, Mosins DO NOT have chromed bores.

The best condition original rifles will be the K31's. Still find ammo for them too, but it's not cheap. Cheapest rifle to shoot would be the Mosin, followed by the Mauser. The most fun rifle to shoot of those would be the Lee Enfield. I dearly love them! All are good rifles though.

I prefer the Mosin Nagant, but it depends on the model. I have had both the Russian and the Finnish models and the Finnish models are far more accurate and have smoother action. Nagants have a REAL stout safety that some people don't like, (and even more don't even know how to use) but I don't use the safety anyway since I usually use it at the range. The Russian models Mosin Nagants sell for about $100-$150, but a good Finnish Mosin Nagant model will sell for anywhere from $300-$500 depending on condition and year of production. Hope this helps.

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guest MeanMrMustard

While I really like the Swedish Mauser & the Kar98k, a Nugget is just too cheap to pass up. I'll be looking for a 91/30 hex receiver model.

Guest FroggyOne2
All of the above are fine choices, but you might also look at the Swiss K31. WWII era rifle, the Swiss never used corrosive ammo, so they usually have great bores, the standard issue GP11 ammo is near match quality, and the straight-pull bolt is built like a ... well, like a Swiss watch.
My elderly neighbor has two K31s sitting in a gun rack in her living room. Her prior husband was Swiss and he seemed to have won some medal for shooting has it is hung around one of the rifles.
K31!!!!!!!!!!!!

This would be my vote as well.. as I was reading this.. I was wondering if anyone would mention it.. ah it was great to find it on the second page! K31 rules!

By the way.. the most popular rifle in the CMP Vintage Rifle matches at Camp Perry are the 1917 and the K31!