Anyone else on track for hunting this weekend?

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Looks like Sunday is lining up to be a wide open day for me so I am planning on being up before the crows and see what I can make happen. It's going to be a warm day later on but in the morning it should be nice. Might be time to drag a fat doe home....:(

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Conrad

Am planning on hunting the south cherokee wma for bears and hogs this sunday. a friends father in law saw a big bear up there this past weekend. hopefully he is still in the same area this weekend.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Am planning on hunting the south cherokee wma for bears and hogs this sunday. a friends father in law saw a big bear up there this past weekend. hopefully he is still in the same area this weekend.

How does that work during archery deer season? I assume you are hunting bears/hogs with a rifle right? I just don't know what the laws are regarding carrying a rifle while it is archery only season. I ask because I would love to take my AR out coyote hunting this time of year but I figure I can't because it is archery deer?

Guest Conrad

The South Cherokee Wma has differnet seasons than the rest of the state. The past two weekends have been dogs allowed hunts with any big game weapon legal (G/M/A). What is strange is that Monroe and Polk counties were also open to bear and hogs those weekends with a rifle but if you are deer hunting you have to use archery. Go figure. However if it was just archery i still hunt bears and hogs. I Aint Sceered.

Guest clutepc

I'm trying to get out of work early Friday and hunt then again Sat and Sunday... not sure yet when the wife will snap, but I'll let you know...:poop:

Guest Conrad

I have been thinking about trying more tradition weapons like a recurve or long bow and have been wanting to get a hawken style muzzleloader. Also got information on maybe hunting a farm in east tennessee that has been given a depredation permit for wildhogs and i am under the impression they are able to spotlight them. Will be fun to get after them hogs at night.

Conrad you cant hunt hogs legally in TN with spotlights. This is from TWRA website.(Weapons may be equipped with sighting devices except those devices utilizing an artificial light capable of locating wildlife. Night vision scopes are illegal) hate for you to get nailed by Mr. Gamewarden

Guest Conrad

Yes ADAM you are correct however the farm has been given a depredation permit to remove the hogs. AS i understand it they are allowed to use the spotlights in accordance with that permit but of course i will make sure everything is on the up and up before i go.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

So the really big question for this weekend - do I hunt the thick woods, the more open woods or the fields... If only I could clone myself dang it!

Every time I have been out coyote hunting I see them in the woods and near the fields on the tree line. I seen a good buck while I was yote hunting Tuesday, looked like a good 8 pointer. I walked 40 yards from him before he ran off. Maybe I will get him during muzzleloader or rifle.

Hunting 101; I had a "yote" come within 5 yards of my stand yesterday morning. He was the biggest, grayest coyote I've ever seen. I got him in the crosshairs of by crossbow, snapped off the safety, and I still don't know which way he went. I guess he heard the "click" and left for parts unknown! Never got the shot off! I'll be out there in the morning again....it's going to get personal! lol

Hunting 101; I had a "yote" come within 5 yards of my stand yesterday morning. He was the biggest, grayest coyote I've ever seen. I got him in the crosshairs of by crossbow, snapped off the safety, and I still don't know which way he went. I guess he heard the "click" and left for parts unknown! Never got the shot off! I'll be out there in the morning again....it's going to get personal! lol

They can be sneaky little devils.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

That is what I love about compound bows - no clicky safety! :cool:

Guest Conrad

I will be going to Star Mountain here in East Tennessee to see if i can find a Bear. MY buddys father said he saw one there last weekend hopefully it will be in the same area.

Guest sneakboxer

My flintlock and i are going to sweat it out at the refuge. Normally i'm worried about rain and snow getting my powder wet but tomorrow i'll have to watch my sweat.

Best of luck to all and stay safe,

Guest pws_smokeyjones
My flintlock and i are going to sweat it out at the refuge. Normally i'm worried about rain and snow getting my powder wet but tomorrow i'll have to watch my sweat.

Best of luck to all and stay safe,

eh? What are you hunting? It's still archery only for deer right?