.308 Win vs. 30-06 Sprg

Guest Grot

Im looking at buying a rifle. I have narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Is .308 going to have any major advantage over 30-06 when shooting at 200 yards?

Im just wondering if the extra price in ammunition is worth it for my application.

I wont be hunting, just killing some paper.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically, the 308 will be a short action rifle, which will be a stiffer action, which should be conducive to better accuracy than the 30-06 length action. In reality, there's little evidence to support this. The 30-06 has more case capacity, and can handle heavier bullets better than the 308. With 150 grain bullets, the 06 has a very slight advantage over the 308. Wiht 180,200, and 220 grain bullets, the 06 gains a bigger advantage. Bottom line is to buy which ever you get the better deal on.

at 200,.. nothing anyone would see,..the '06 may , on paper have more recoil, but will shoot flatter on paper and we are talking about fractions here...

price on ammo ? I'm not sure you are really talking a whole lot of difference,..you shoot enough you will reload and component wise the only difference will be a maybe 6-8 less rounds per pound of powder... bullets, brass and primer cost will be about the same

Some will argue the .308 is a "refined" .30-'06 and therefore part of the natural evolution ,..more efficient and in a shorter action for stiffness and a quicker followup shot with a bolt gun... it is a personal preference thing really They both have their proponents and their opponents I like the '06 myself. Neither cartridge will be fading from the scene or lack factory loadings anytime soon..

(the next argument you may here is the M-1 vs. the M-14 (M1A) but that is for a different discussion over another cup of coffee)

Buy one,..load one,..and Send them Enjoy shooting and don't fret too much over the caliber question

John

Im looking at buying a rifle. I have narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Is .308 going to have any major advantage over 30-06 when shooting at 200 yards?

Im just wondering if the extra price in ammunition is worth it for my application.

I wont be hunting, just killing some paper.

If you're just perforating paper, why not choose something that's easier on the wallet and the shoulder? .17HMR, .223, .243, etc.

If you're just perforating paper, why not choose something that's easier on the wallet and the shoulder? .17HMR, .223, .243, etc.

I can think of 2 reasons

1. you can download one of these to do the lighter caliber work,..they are called gallery loads .31 cal lead roundball for projectile... but not the other way around which helps with #2.

2. Someday he may have to hit something with a rifle that needs to " Stay Hit " or reach further than the lighter calibers can provide..

Well these are my reasons for owning a few '06's and maybe someday I will get a .308 Tactical rifle to be a "cool kid",......

when my 03A3 is shot out... if I live that long...

John

Train with a good .22 Bolt gun up to 100 yds. and you will learn more with 1000 rounds than you would with 1000 rounds of any centerfire rifle at any other distance..