Remmington Rifle Differences

Guest Grot

So im looking at Getting a Remmington 700 in 30-06.

Gander Mtn currently has Remmington 770 on sale for $300.

Whats the major difference between these two rifles that constitutes the $200 price difference?

The 770 also comes with Optics.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The extra M in Remington costs more. :)

Seriously, I don't own either model, but I read over and over again that the 770 is "ok" but nowhere near the build quality of the 700 series.

I'm sure you'll get some more informed decisions, but Googling will find many other forum discussions on same issue.

- OS

The 700 is one of the best platforms ever built and what I'd stick with.. The 770 is made cheaply and hasn't proven to hold up very well. The bolt and trigger are not very impressive. If you want a good Remington at a really good price get a Remington 798. These are pretty decent rifles and can be had through CDNN for one place. They are Mauser action Remingtons. Another great choice for a well built good value rifle look to Savage.

Edited by Warbird

I have never owned a 700 or 770 but have been studying up on them lately. Gander Mtn has the 700 ADL on sale this week for $399 or the 770 for $299. Both with scopes. If it was me I'd go for the 700 based on the action and trigger. The 770 is a different action, not the classic 700 style.

If that's your price range and quality consider that WalMart has Savage 110's for around $384 with scope. Many think very highly of these.

Just my opinion based on what I've heard and read up on. Don't own either. All my high-power rifles are mil-surp and I've been curious about something that will put all the bullets in the same hole rather than in a general paper plate sized area.

Edited by Garufa

Yes, i just found the Gander mtn sale on the 700 about 15 mins ago. I will be picking one up tomorrow.

And yea i habitually put the extra m in remington.

If for some reason they are sold out of the 700s im looking at a Marlin XL7 for the same price.

Guest FroggyOne2

Don't even waste your time with any other model of Remington except the 700.. if you get the 770.. and you decide to sell it.. you will lose big time on value in the resale.

Don't even waste your time with any other model of Remington except the 700.. if you get the 770.. and you decide to sell it.. you will lose big time on value in the resale.

What he and Greg said. Funny analogy Greg. There are many many ways in which you could change that 700 in the future to suit your needs and it will always be worth something.

Went ahead and picked up the 700 ADL today.

Got it in 30-06.

Should be going to the Norris range saturday to try it out.

Will be my first time Zeroing a scope.

Any tips?

That scope is supposed to be bore-sighted from the store. You can lay the rifle steady, pull the bolt, then look through barrel then scope at a distant target. That will at least get you in the neighborhood. Start at 50 yards. Run a few shots through and when scope is adjusted move out to 125 yards (what they call 100 yards at Norris).

Thought I would be up there Saturday but the UT game is at 12:30. Maybe I'll go Sunday, or very, very early Saturday.

Will be my first time Zeroing a scope.

Any tips?

I do. Here's how I sight in a bolt rifle. First, I ensure that all the mount and ring screws are tightened. Next, I remove the bolt, lay the rifle firm on sandbags, and look through the bore from the reciever end and center the target in the bore. without moving the rifle, now I look through the scope, and adjust until the crosshairs are also pointing at the target. Remember that your adjustments will be made backward from the directions on the scope at this point. This will get you on paper. Now, replace the bolt and fire a shot....fire a series of three shots to ensure that they are in a group. Now you can make final adjustments using the directions written on the scope. Fire three more shots to verify your zero. Once you have it where you want it, you are good to go. Anytime you change brands of ammo, or bullet weights or styles from the same brand, you'll need to check your zero again.